New to the game with ideas, but still some questions

savolion

Got the naza refunded and bought from aus supplier , had it 18 hours later :thumbs: now to wait for the rest to arrive. In the mean time I bought a twister quad. Much fun to be had haha

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Slowly putting it together,

Does anyone know of any guides for the setup and connections from the turnigy 9x to the naza m lite? like the servo connections and settings

http://i.imgur.com/hmMoAjS.jpg

looking good. For FC - Receiver setup, just find the transmitter channel assignments (Rudder, Throttle, Elevator, Aileron) and see where the Naza wants the plugged in. Make a chart on paper using the 2 manuals - and you should be all set. Remember that you may need to reverse some of the channels.

savolion

OKay, assembled, programmed and good to go, motors spinning the right way and stuff.

However two issues, the props have a tendanc to fly off... including the bullet thing that goes around the shaft and yes they are tight.

second, although i know the answer im sure, had it assembled and the FC sitting in the center but not taped down *yet* due to testing, throttled up and as it started to lift fell over side ways. im assuming the FC must have shifted and it was trying to compensate haaha

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Way to go! Isn't it satisfying getting it all sorted out?

You are definitely going to need to secure the FC. Do that before it gets damaged.

What type of prop adapters do you have? Are they collets? Post a picture of them. If they are the collet style - you need to first push the first piece onto the shaft pretty hard, then place the next pieces down on top. Does the bullet some feel like it's getting good grip on the threads? You might want to change to Nyloc nuts instead of the bullets.

SoCal Blur

The problem with the bullet type prop adapters is that when you buy motors, they only come threaded in one direction. That's fine for clockwise turning motors but for CCW turning motors, they will eventually unscrew (or vice versa - can't remember). The solution is 1) purchase prop adapters that are threaded in the other direction for the CCW motors (not sure if all motor manufacturers offer that, or 2) use the Nyloc nut (as Motopreserve recommended) that usually comes with many motors as well.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
So far I have not had any issues with the collet-style adapters, even though SoCal is correct, they really should tighten opposite of the prop direction. The Nyloc nuts will not need any loctite. You could use it on the collets I guess, but it may make it difficult to swap out a broken prop.

savolion

Props are sorted,

Still does a backflip on take off though, or will actually lift then spin, motors and props are all spinning in the right direction. I shall try to calibrate the imu or whatever it is through the software and see if that helps.

also the arms almost flap up and down as i throttle the quad up on the ground, kinda disconcerting. Shall keep playing around.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I'm no expert. But I would say the arms flapping is a very bad sign. I'm assuming you've double checked the bolts? Are the motors overweight/size for the frame suggestions?

if it's flipping it's usually the props/motors on the wrong way, or it might be that you need to double check the output from the Naza to make sure the motor orientation is correct for that FC??? There should be a diagram showing front left motor turns.... Front right turns... Etc. make sure this is matched with what you have.

savolion

Hopefully that's it, never checked to see if they actual spin direction matches up with the software. Will check that today!

savolion

Fixed :) motors were wrong and the actual bottom frame was vibrating like a *****, fixedmotors and removed legs, flies perfect :D best feeling

savolion

Will post up some videos and photos in a bit, just went for a 11 min flight, full charge down to 3.8V per cell. I think thats pretty good, and its a 4s battery. I think i could stretch it out to 15 min

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Will post up some videos and photos in a bit, just went for a 11 min flight, full charge down to 3.8V per cell. I think thats pretty good, and its a 4s battery. I think i could stretch it out to 15 min

Thats good flight time. Keep up the great work and get those photos up!

savolion

Some oversized pics, and a quick video with crash at the end, quad was fine though :) the video of the quad is from iphone so fullscreen and 1080p setting is needed, and quad at that point had the gopro onboad, flies a little rough with it. Removed go pro and played around with the gps function, got it very high up

video : http://youtu.be/E8CklvIU8t8

68CWdd1.jpg

fls4A9L.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Good to hear the quad made it through the crash ok. Depending how/where you mounted the gopro, it could have thrown the CoG off enough for the FC to have a hard time compensating.

What type of props are those???

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Definitely think about getting some decent props - especially if you are already flying that high. I have been reading horror stories of the cheap HK props breaking mid-flight - causing some serious damage - not to mention it's dangerous. The better props (APC, HQ, GemFan) are really not that much more expensive, and can usually be purchased locally (your profile doesn't list your location - so I forget were you're located).