New FPV design with 2-axis brushless gimbal

Skysurf

Here is a new FPV machine that I have been working on that incorporates a 2-axis brushless gimbal powered by the AlexMos Simple BGC, and designed specifically for the GoPro Hero 3.
With one 4S 5000 mAh I get flight times around 10 minutes, there is room for two 4S 5000 mAh packs. Will post video soon. :)

/Jesper

View attachment 11198 View attachment 11199 View attachment 11200

Attachments

• IMG_0006.jpg
    IMG_0006.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 280
  • IMG_0014.jpg
    IMG_0014.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 281
  • IMG_0020.jpg
    IMG_0020.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 426

Tomstoy2

Skysurf, I like that! Nice simple design, rigid as can be, and tons of room. Looking forward to seeing a vid in the air!

Skysurf

Thank you. :)

Nice looking rig but never quite understood the need for stabilized gimbals for FPV.

Well, you can fly FPV and still get nice usable video that dosen't make you seasick. ;)

/Jesper

Skysurf

Well, there is a fixed "FPV camera" for the video downlink. The stabilized video is recorded for later use.

/Jesper

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
yeah, you would never use a stabilized camera as the FPV cam. Would be impossible to tell your orientation. Evolution in the works. Nice work.

Hi Skysurf, Good work, I like the concept very much, FPV flying with stabilised recorded video. More room for stuff, the TBS discovery for example is too cramped. The only thing, it needs a touch more styling to make it look sexy. Please do not be offended it is only MY opinion.
Regards - bruce

Skysurf

Thank you! :)

Here is a short video from today demonstrating how well it handles the wind.

//J

Last edited by a moderator:

Bowley

Fab results from your BL Gimbal, What flt mode? I know my Naza GPS handles wind remarkably well, a winning combo you have there I think.

Skysurf

Hi Bowley,

Thank you. This was shot with the Naza in "Atti" mode. Being a fairly light machine it still got bounced around quite a bit but I still think that the video is very usable.

//J

Skysurf

Thanks. :)

Kloner, still playing around with settings. I will increase the yaw gain a little more to see what happens, however, under the conditions in the above video I think any platform of this size and weight will have a hard time maintaing attitude.

Regarding speed, I expect it to be very fast since it is very overpowered with the MT2814. I hope to start doing some FPV flights later this week. Will post video ASAP.

//J