need help with current setup... before I judo chop this than

pepper

been a while since I've posted but I am desperate need of some help. I had a guy "build" me a multi so that I could plug, play and go to work. well, since NOVEMBER I am still working on it. between him not building things correctly, sending wrong parts, sending things back and it still not working correctly I am ready to cut my ties and move on. the agreement was that I pay him X amount of dollars and in 2 weeks I would have a multi ready to go.... NOPE ......
this gentleman supposedly owns a business doing this stuff and has 2 employees helping..

what I'm needing help with.
- is there a better gimbal controller, more user friendly?
- can I control my camera, gimbal and multi using the one battery?
- what would you add or take away to make it a better multi?

Setup as follows.
-RCTimer s1100 with 4114 pro motors with folding carbon props
-TATTU 22000MAH battery, LOVE!
-pixhawk flight controller
-gimbal. I have no idea what kind it is. it is a 3 axis. using a BASECAM 8bit controller. pain in the butt! I don't know the brand of gimbal motors. they are gold/black
-Sony A6000 camera, using a gentWIRE-multi to control the camera.
-frsky TX x9 x8r RX - transmitter for the multi
-Jr xg14 to control the gimbal/camera (that's what I'm hoping to use it for) RG1131b RX
-my FPV transmitter has ELGAE written on it and the receiver has RC805. 5.8G which I just today found out that he hasn't sent me the video cable for the ELGAE.

any help would be GREATLY appreciated !!

his name is Todd Hill from FL . business -debonair

Last edited by a moderator:

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Wow. That's a heck of a story. Sorry you've had such bad luck.

For single battery, you'll probably run into issues with the voltage. The VTX and gimbal (8bit alexmos is definitely no more than 4S) will most certainly want voltage lower than what I assume is 6S flight battery. You're best to use a separate, lighter battery. The 4S nano-techs in the 1-2ah are pretty cheap. Saves your flight time too. You could use flight battery if you get adjustable regulators for the gimbal and VTX.

As far as gimbal controller - none of them are easy. But I'd say you may be better off with the newer 32bit alexmos. If you get the right type - they can handle higher voltage (if you're set on using flight battery for power).

Are you having any specific flight issues? Or just the gimbal?

pepper

thanks man! yea it really sucks!

it is a 6S battery. I do have some batteries to run the gimbal seperatly, just having an issue finding a mounting spot since the TATTU battery is so big.

as of now there are no flight issues. just gimbal. basically how to correctly control it, where to mount things. getting to operate correctly.
it does have the extention board for the yall axis but I can't seem to figure out a way to control that. I can control the pitch/roll though so that's good.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
The gimbal batteries are often mounted on or near the gimbal itself. On the horizontal yaw tube, or down tube. Possibly on top of the mount itself. Adjustable regulators can be mounted just about anywhere. They are small.

Have you added/connected the yaw extension to the main gimbal controller board? How have you powered the controller board thus far? From the 6S battery???

What exactly are the issues you're having with the gimbal?

Pics?

pepper

ok. here are some pics. may help you get a better understanding of what I am dealing with. I did mount the Jr receiver as seen.

Attachments

• 20150420_180958.jpg
    20150420_180958.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 314
  • 20150420_181005.jpg
    20150420_181005.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 223
  • 20150420_181014(1).jpg
    20150420_181014(1).jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 203
  • 20150420_181014.jpg
    20150420_181014.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 238
  • 20150420_181055.jpg
    20150420_181055.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 190

vinito

I'm kinda new to lipos, but is it a big no-no to power something off the balance plug? You could just span across the right gap and get any voltage from 1S to the full battery off that. Gimbal shouldn't draw too awful much power. Then again, flight controller and receiver would probably not be powered off 6S without frying either would they?

D'oh. I guess they are typically run off ESC BEC aren't they? Please ignore my noobiness.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
You definitely don't want to pull power off the balance plug. It is a sure fire way to make the battery deplete unbalanced, and could lead to very bad things.

One thing I notice about the setup is that the gimbal is the type with no support on the opposite side of pitch motor. These rarely work fkr cameras larger than a gopro. Also, the dampening seems a bit light for the camera (which camera is it???).

Might be a bad photo, but we're you saying you mourned the 2nd RX hanging down like that?

tstrike

pendejo grande
I'd put a small plate above the knob on the role axis above the control board, maybe even use the knob to hold it on. Run a velcro strap around it for a small 4s battery for the gimbal. It makes it nice and convient to be able to tune the gimbal without having to power up your ship.

It also looks like that camera control cable is FAT! The gimbal won't like that. Moto's right, those gimbals are a royal pita to maintain balance on.

There's other gimbal controllers but they all have their learning curve.

pepper

I can mount another battery on top of the main battery. Just use Velcro. What gimbal would you guys recommend for the A6000 camera? Something thats cost effective. Not an arm and leg.
Although I did pick the multi up and move it all over the place. The gimbal held quite well but I do feel its a bit small for the camera and purpose. I do plan on upgrading to the 32 bit controller.
Yes. The camera cable is larger than what I thought it was going to be but it gave me more options. I'm thinking of getting just a simple IR switch to just simplify it.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
That's a loaded question :). Unfortunately the success of a gimbal is a bit of black magic. But there is also a certain amount of "get what you pay for" when it comes to these things.

Ideally, no flex or binding, and full adjustability. I still have not found the "perfect" gimbal....

pepper

Yes. I figured it would be a Chevy vs ford deal. I seen a few dys on eBay that looked really good and I seen in another thread of someone referring to beholder gimblas. Those look good. I sent them an email about those. Maybe it would be a good idea to post a thread on "let's see your gimbal and setup" maybe that could help me. There is NO one within 200 miles that knows anything about multis or aerial photography. So luckily I have the background of a pilot along with flying rc airplanes and heli's for years. Granted I could get tons of in person help along with most of it was plug and play. Oh, always ran gas so I didn't have to mess with learning all the electronic stuff. Kinda wish I had now. Lol

Old Man

When ya'll settle on a gimbal, post some notes. I'm looking for one to handle an a6000 as well.

The guys are right about the single support gimbals. They wear out bearings quick. Where you out of Pepper? Perhaps there's more near you than you know.

pepper

I have decided to release this gentleman's name. Todd Hill. from florid. business - debonair . if you want any details please feel free to contact me !!

pepper

lol.... yea.... I agree.... BUT one good thing came out of it. I got a crash course in learning ALL about setting a gimbal up. lol

pepper

lol. yes sir it it. as soon as mother nature decides to get off her period and quit raining, I can get out and test fly. right now it's working great on the bench.

Morp

been a while since I've posted but I am desperate need of some help. I had a guy "build" me a multi so that I could plug, play and go to work. well, since NOVEMBER I am still working on it. between him not building things correctly, sending wrong parts, sending things back and it still not working correctly I am ready to cut my ties and move on. the agreement was that I pay him X amount of dollars and in 2 weeks I would have a multi ready to go.... NOPE ......
this gentleman supposedly owns a business doing this stuff and has 2 employees helping..

what I'm needing help with.
- is there a better gimbal controller, more user friendly?
- can I control my camera, gimbal and multi using the one battery?
I'm very new to this multicoppter scene. I can't go with detailed and technical stuff since I just started this hobby 2 months ago. But I know what works for me and had done so.

1.) I recently just bought a very user friendly gimbal controller for my second build F550. It's quite easy to setup for me, so I assume it's easy for everyone esle.
2.) Yes. It gets power supply from the battery's balance plug.

o9eg4x.jpg