naza wierdness

mailman35

so ive started to notice some random control wierdness with the hex and the quad.
it seems to be after alot of forward motion the naza kinda of stops responding to stick movements to brake or to counter the current direction of travel. and to correct this it takes alot of additional counter stick movements and then the gyros seem to settle and it will hover fine.
been noticing this more as ive been getting alot more comfortable with flying and orientation.
any ideas as this doesnt seem to happen all the time just some times, lack of logging on the naza doesnt help but what can we expect :p

mark

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
You can try dialing down the ATTI gain a little, that should help. On the two Naza I have I think neither one is set to more than 75% on ATTI gain with the basic pitch and roll at roughly 140, one is a kit F450, the other is on a Droidworx AD6.

Some quirks I've noticed, if you flog it hard enough it will jitter a bit when you let off the sticks and it attempts to stabilize and when doing a hard bank or multiple 360 degree rotations using yaw it will over correct as it tries to straighten out, the gyros do seem to need time to settle down after any quick or hard movements of the frame. Tweaking the gain settings helps a bit but it really doesn't like fast or sudden changes, there always seems to be some overshoot or nervousness on the transition back to normal flight.

Still, I think it does amazingly well for a small control box still on version 1 firmware with just a couple minor bug fixes so far, lets hope DJI does a little more firmware development on it and gets everything 100%.

Ken

mailman35

well i have been embracing the quirks, as i havent had a crash in quite a few weeks. :p
i havent tried to let it settle w/o touching the sticks but yes i fully agree, cant really complain outside of this, its quite solid and a hell of a fun time to fly :p
next step is the googles, and stuff.
also ive been flying the quad on 3s, and the suppo's seems to handle quite well. lots of power( no go pro)
the hex is the 4s craft at this time, and its getting even more and more fun to fly every time i take it out :p still need to finish the gimbal.
but this is the addiction i picked :p

mailman35

so after some more flights and having this happen about 3 times so far. im coming to the conclusion that the naza is just for hovering, and im kind of leaning towards timecops (rcg) way of thinking about how crap dji really is.
so that being said openpilot needs to hurry up and get some units out, because for the price they sound like far better fc's

Bowley

so ive started to notice some random control wierdness with the hex and the quad.
it seems to be after alot of forward motion the naza kinda of stops responding to stick movements to brake or to counter the current direction of travel. and to correct this it takes alot of additional counter stick movements and then the gyros seem to settle and it will hover fine.
been noticing this more as ive been getting alot more comfortable with flying and orientation.
any ideas as this doesnt seem to happen all the time just some times, lack of logging on the naza doesnt help but what can we expect :p

mark

I have had what you describe happen once to me, ended up in a slight crash. I s**t meself and dumped it.
I have 2 Naza's and its never happened on the other one, I must compare the firmware versions.
I really like my Naza's for AP/AV but for sport flying I like my Gaui GU344. If I'm throwing the Naza's about I use manual mode after that incident.

kloner

Aerial DP
you did that when you bought a clone.......... haha no big deal, lets see whatcha can do

my quads got the Eagltree gaurdian only for an artificial horizon, i noticed it does the same thing in it but the quad recovers way before the guardian. must be how the vibes increase from the motors reving up to make it run in atti at an angle that screws it up. Flying fpv you notice it less than flying LOS. it's just takes a little to slow up. if it jerked back really agressively to counter that, it wouldn't be very fpv friendly

it sounds like the cc3d is really close to being available

mailman35

i have 2 and this has happened on both, it seems that it happens quite easily sometimes, where you push the stick forward and leave it there for x amount of time, then try to brake or cancel your motion and the MR wants to stand on end at that point, how ever if you do the same and let off the stick while waiting to cancel your forward motion, the gyro's get back to level more easily.
almost every time ive had this happen its resulted in a crash or me having to cnc to stop the motors, because of the unintended reactions to stick input. hence the annoyed part.

the other annoying part is the dji response that it wasnt what the product was intended for so we will not make any effort to fix it. :(

kloner

Aerial DP
wow, you can't wrestle it back to level? how bad are the vibes? vibes would make stuff like this worse than no vibes. would love to see a recent on board video, see if it sounds or looks worse than when you started. Both mine are a little quirky, but nothing to make me stop the motors midflight over or crash

mailman35

nope no amount of control seems to help, and im using balanced props. its just that sinking oh crap feeling when it happens. and all my videos stop before the last few seconds before the crashing.

Pete80

This is a common problem... I wrote DJI about it and this was the response:

" Hi, Peter, Naza is a stabilizer, atti mode is not suitable for fast flight. You can do that in manual mode. "

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

mailman35

Kicking this thread again, as i have some video to update this with.

so after some flight time yesterday with the newest firmware and some normal speed runs, i run in to the gyro level reset issue again, but thankfully i had the cam onboard so i was able to get video of what is happening.
i trimmed down the start of the video so it starts a few seconds before the event happens.
but from the video you can that the quad pretty much ends up going nose down, and when i stop it it takes quite a bit of fighting to level it back out, i think i ended up dropping the throttle most of the way during the event. the sticks where pushed no more then they usually are for the rest of the flying thats seen in the video

the video will be live here http://youtu.be/-YbwsFThrtM shortly as its still uploading

the gains for the quad are between 120-130 for all the values and 80-90 for the atti's i forgot the specifics as i do not have the quad near me at this time.

this is happening in Atti mode? have you try manual mode when flying fast? I don't think Atti mode is meant to be flying fast.

Silas

mailman35

thats the kicker im not flying any faster then i was.
the level resets and the craft is suddenly going at a 45deg angle to the ground.

mailman35

also manual mode is both a bit jumpy(throttle, pitch, roll) and sluggish( on the yaw) ive tried using negitive expo on the radio to smooth it out but no luck, so i am usually flying in atti anyway.

Ya, manual mode will be more repsonsive. I put in -50% of expo for pitch and roll link to the mode switch for fast forward flight. At -50%, it has just about the same feel as in A mode around the center of stick. I did not tone down the total movement... but if that turns out to be too much, reduce the throw just for M mode. How much expo had you tried?

s

Try -60 or -70 and see how it does for you.. I don't think there is anything one can do in A mode for flying fast from what I had read. M mode works fine for me if I want to push it around.. but will take some doing to get use to. It flys (repsonse) more like a RC helicopter to me.