Nab 2013****

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast

doesnt seem rock solid yet: 2:09 jitters on the gimbal ! Or am i just imagining it ?

(edit) not completly balanced i guess !

Boris

Last edited by a moderator:

RobertsUp

Ceo dji usa

You know, ... I'm a noobie and still building my first quad. But I've been educating myself since January. I've immersed myself in not only the technical aspects of MR's but also the larger picture of how MR's will fit into our society.

Dji has now made it easier for any newbie to try to enter the field and expect quality pictures right away. Dji has now introduced a beginners Phantom with prop protectors and a computerized gimble. Available next Summer. RC Lawn Darts.

Such craft won't appear at Costco, Fry's, or Walmart. Those companies are arrogant and would never consent to the dealer support demands put on them by Dji.

Nevertheless things are getting out of hand, imo. Look at that video of somebody crashing his S800 inside a crowded stadium. Those little Phantom RTF's are going to start appearing everywhere with their operators knowing nothing. I only see dark clouds ahead. So long as anybody can buy a Phantom with that expected gimbel and fly it out of the box. There will be well publicised accidents with people getting hit in the head by Phantoms.

Also, I studied the responses and all the recorded pics of the recent NAB convention. The main impression I got was this:

There were few customers attending and lots of empty chairs in the booths. I've been to similar conventions and the floor was filled with jostling customers. The NAB looked like it was all exhibitors and few attendee customers. I know about setting up a convention booth. It has to be planned months in advance. Exhibit creators have to design the booths and the signs. It all costs money. They have to be built and then shipped to the convention center. Workers at the convention center have to unload the trucks and then build the exhibit booths. Costs money. Anyways, where were the buying customers at the NAB?

Doesn't mean I want to rain on the parade. I don't, but I saw what I saw and needed to comment.

nother interview with one of DJi's crack force of PR people. "It actually speaks with satellites....in space." ROFL

Mactadpole

nother interview with one of DJi's crack force of PR people. "It actually speaks with satellites....in space." ROFL

No doubt. I am now truly worried about the future of legally flying MR's in the states. If your gonna put a pretty face on your product at least educate it. Plus, nothing unique about any of the features described. Been available on other boards for a while. Lame...

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
well, if you look at the claims by FreeFly in their preliminary product listings, there isn't anything there that you can't already do with a well set-up Hoverfly PRO board. HF PRO flies so well I can't imagine another board flying better although I thought that with MK for a long time also.

rumor has it there's a guy in Florida that retired with the money he made from FreeFly for the gimbal system. If they spent enough to retire a guy then they're going to be unrelenting to recover their investment and then some.

they're pros at marketing, i'll give them that.

Mactadpole

well, if you look at the claims by FreeFly in their preliminary product listings, there isn't anything there that you can't already do with a well set-up Hoverfly PRO board. HF PRO flies so well I can't imagine another board flying better although I thought that with MK for a long time also.

rumor has it there's a guy in Florida that retired with the money he made from FreeFly for the gimbal system. If they spent enough to retire a guy then they're going to be unrelenting to recover their investment and then some.

they're pros at marketing, i'll give them that.

Unfortunately, Hoverfly still seems to have some GPS and AH issues from what I have read. I see they announced a GCS but we have no details on that. It better have waypoint navigation or they are seriously continuing to miss a good part of the market. IMHO. If they can get the GPS/AH features nailed then they could be a serious contender as a top dog.

If I see at least three of you pro-level HFP fliers (your in that group Bart!) demonstrate a multi-waypoint flight with autolanding and position and altitude hold within a meter then I am back on board (pun intended).

FreeFly is going to be ridiculously expensive I'm willing to bet. Again, at the HFP/GPS price point they could take control of the majority of the market if they can get those additional features working perfect. My MK's easily hold postion within a meter (ok, maybe 1.5 m or so on slightly windy day).

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
shawn
i don't disagree with you on any of that stuff. HF is teetering on the brink of being a non-player if they don't really accelerate their development schedule. great flying flight controls won't be hard to find for much longer and so features will become what distinguishes them from each other.
bart

hjls3

Bart are you and Shawn saying that HFP doesnt "talk to satellites" very well :) i liked how easily the words came out of her mouth - "you can fly it far enough to barely see it, then turn your radio off" - im scared.

Mactadpole

Bart are you and Shawn saying that HFP doesnt "talk to satellites" very well :) i liked how easily the words came out of her mouth - "you can fly it far enough to barely see it, then turn your radio off" - im scared.

All my sh#$ talks to satellites! Doesn't yours? :highly_amused: I feel bad for her in a way because she doesn't even know what she doesn't know. I could never handle a puppet job.

I sure hope their RTH feature works REALLY well.

Shawn

RobertsUp

I'm selling all my gear and taking up basket weaving. Good luck guys. DJI can kiss my ***!

Iris, I hope that wasn't serious. I live just a few miles south of You.

Despite everything, I'm proceeding with my first build and I hope it will turn out okay.

Rob

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Only mostly joking. By the time DJI sticks these things on the shelf of every possible convenience store, the issues at hand will only get worse and the competition more and more competitive. I dont think this will affect the guys that have a good solid name established for themselves. But the fact is that dilution will occur and more people will do dumb things as they try to mimic those who have successfully built a business around this. So now, the people who charge 3-5k a day will have to fight harder to battle some kid with a freaking phantom or an s800. More likely I see the production companies just buying these themselves making it obsolete to hire anyone to do this at all. The reason this works as a business is because it is/was something new. It was a service that many production companies did not know anything about but were excited about. But when DJI takes these things to every corner of the globe, the companies that hire will know what they are, what they cost and probably get one themselves. Which is fine, there is still a lot of potential out there and a lot of different venues to approach. I guess I just dont like competition nor do I really enjoy explaining why, to quote Kopterworx, "if you think it is expensive to hire a pro, wait until you hire an amateur." Hopefully I am wrong about all this. I guess I would be happy to just be able to fly at all within 50 miles of my place without getting a ticket again.

Sorry if I diverted the thread. Dont mean to hijack.

globalwad

"Christie Woods is a former Miss Teen USA winner and one half of a team (with boyfriend Colin Guinn) that came 2nd in the fifth season of The Amazing Race. Christie is the 1996 Miss Teen USA winner, the first and only one from Texas. However, she considers her biggest accomplishment in life to be working to pay her entire way through college and graduating with honours"

Couplestarcolinchristie.jpg

SMP

Speaking of pitchmen... I got a kick out of the the Movi "gamechanger" Vincent Laforet Effect. Heres my gimbal on a multi (yawn) Heres my gimbal with a set of handles (Oh Vince you're the Messiah!)... Smart move FreeFly very smart.