Multi rotor camera mounts, the good, the bad, and the ugly

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Ken.. can the highsite II be fitted to the Droidworx landing gear?

I cant seem to get any response from anyone about the avialibiltiy of the ProMini :mad:

I think with an extra set of the brackets that connect the gear rails to the frame center it could be done pretty easily. Put the brackets on the gear rails 180 degrees from the set holding the landing gear on and then you would be able to mount the ends of the HiSight mounting plate to those though you might have to drill a couple new holes if the existing ones don't line up. Depending on what you have on hand for tools you could probably make something out of light alloy angle bracket and a few rubber grommets rather than pay the $45 for another set of the Droidworx brackets.

If you're serious about spending the asking price for the HS3 you might also want to consider something like this with or without the pan option... http://www.averticalview.com/stabilized_full_size.html they'll customize what they have if it doesn't quite fit your needs.

Ken

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Thanks Ken.. I dont need or want pan.. just nick and roll. I have invested like yourself a lot of wedge to get this far and I dont want to spoil the ship for an hapeth of tar. I am confident I can fly the shots I want to get but just need a mount to keep the camera stable. I have been experimenting with just a GoPro attached directly to the landing arms and apart from take off I am not seeing any vibration issues with the ADX3. If the rain stops here I am going to try a flight with the Panasonic on and see how it looks, I know I wont get the smooth flight with out a compensated mount but I just want to see if the vibration is ok. I got an email from Sandor at Digitech to say he had 20 Pro Mini mounts on back order so I aint holding my breath. I need to move soon as I have orders and projects I want to start. Ill go take a look at avertical view.
Thanks for the info again

dave

PS hows the snow?

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Thanks Ken.. I dont need or want pan.. just nick and roll. I have invested like yourself a lot of wedge to get this far and I dont want to spoil the ship for an hapeth of tar. I am confident I can fly the shots I want to get but just need a mount to keep the camera stable. I have been experimenting with just a GoPro attached directly to the landing arms and apart from take off I am not seeing any vibration issues with the ADX3. If the rain stops here I am going to try a flight with the Panasonic on and see how it looks, I know I wont get the smooth flight with out a compensated mount but I just want to see if the vibration is ok. I got an email from Sandor at Digitech to say he had 20 Pro Mini mounts on back order so I aint holding my breath. I need to move soon as I have orders and projects I want to start. Ill go take a look at avertical view.
Thanks for the info again

dave

PS hows the snow?

Dave, from my experience I'm finding it's the whole package that makes the difference, not just the mount you use. I see it sort of like this, you can have the best equipment available, but if you don't know how to use it properly, what good is it. Conversely I've seen real pros do amazing things with run of the mill and home built equipment, it's all in how you set things up to work with the frame, flight controller, motors and props, etc.

The other factor, and it's a big one where I live, is the weather you're flying in. I live less than 25 miles inland from the Atlantic ocean and it's a very rare day here when there is NO wind. Still photography in windy conditions is a piece of cake compared to trying to get good usable video from a multirotor heli that's pitching all over the place. Trying to stay still enough in the air to record what's going on below or even just record video of a static setting can be very challenging when the wind is gusting from nearly nothing up to 15 to 20 mph, makes good video editing software a must along with long recording times to make sure you have a couple minutes of good footage.

Still, I'm really starting to understand the nuances of multicopter setup as well as camera mount setup to get the best results possible, now it's going to be all about flying skills to put the equipment to good use. With a multi it's all about smooth and altitude control, very unlike the frantic all over the sky style of 3D flying with RC Heli's (not that I could do any of that and not crash anyway!)

On the subject of snow, I've had enough of it for this season. I spent most of yesterday removing a few feet of it off the roof of the house and garage, there's been an epidemic of roofs falling in around here over the last couple weeks and I'd rather mine not!

Ken

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Hi again Ken.
I live 1 mile from the Irish sea and we get winds all the time to but on the days we have had over the last month there has been perfect weather. I think when you are trying something that aint the run of the mill, and very few people are doing what we are then we are all learning off each other. I did not get chance to fly at the weekend coz of the force 7/8 winds.. I am working away from home again so no chance this week but I am determined to fly this weekend even if its in our warehouse! I will try the Lumix TZ10 for the video and my new Rioche CX4 for the stills.. If it turns up.
I am also expecting delivery of Grupner props and Hisight II mount from MK Germany. Its frustrating down here in London cause I cant play in my workshop!!
Laters
Thanks again for the contributions..

dave

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Dave,
i'm rigging my X650 quad with my wife's Panasonic TZ3. does the TZ10 have a way to trigger the shutter electronically? does it do the interval trick you're been looking for?

edit: just discovered burst mode and scenery settings including an aerial photography setting (but no RC AP setting, doh!)

Thanks,
Bart

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Does she know?!! ;) No it does not have interval / time lapse but the Video is excellent. I have a Rioche CX4 on the way that does interval but only one shot every 5 secs not bad but would be better with every 2 secs. I will post them at the weekend if the weather is OK. I am down in `London working and did not bring my quad coz the weather forcast was pants.. but to day we had perfect flying / filming weather Grrrrr:mad:
I want to learn about using the FC to fire the shutter so I can set my own settings... but that is for another thread me thinks..

Dave

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
if it's a Mikrokopter FC there's a thread on the topic in the Aerial Photography area of the site. we can pick it up from there if you have questions.
bart

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
I have enough on my plate at the moment Bart just getting something that I can fly with.. when I know I can fly with a cheapish camera then I will start looking into getting better images with better control later!

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
ADX3 standard lift, Photohigher AV130

So Heres the DroidWorx ADX3 and super duper Photohigher Av130 mount. Strapped my good old trust Lumix TZ10 on it and shot this test footage. Weather not good and the wind is justing quite a bit but in general its about killing the vibration... Or are we all jsut expecting to much from these platforms.. I got to say for an eith of the cost I got better footage with my Gaui... I think.. Ill fly it agin whenthe weather is better and with better light buty for now comments on how good or how bad the vibrations are on the video would be appreciated..

I still have problems with the mount rolling when its nicking but thats on another post

Last edited by a moderator: