Mikrokopter Mikrokopter GPS Shield

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Sandor at Digitech sent me some instruction how to build my own but for the cost I would just rather buy one.. Just wondered if anyone had seen an improvement in signal strength and durability

MikroJ

While on the topic of GPS signal, when I have the Navi, gps only ,hooked up to my laptop , via mk usb using jumper, It takes 5 or so mins to even find one satellite, This is the second or third time I have had it hooked up? Do i need one of these sheilds to help maybe..........

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
MJ,
Are you near a window when doing this? Is it even possible to get satellites while in one's home away from a window?
Bart

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
I see Fox222 has one on his Hexa. Maybe he could comment but I get a fix within a couple of mins in open space. In the house it takes quite a long time if you are just next to a window. In my kitchen which is single story I have skylights so when I am testing stuff indoors I usually put my Adx under one of the skylights.

Foil backed insulation in roofs kills the signal dead though.

MikroJ

MJ,
Are you near a window when doing this? Is it even possible to get satellites while in one's home away from a window?
Bart

Have tried next to window, and I actually got more satellites (well only 4) then moved out side in open air and could only get 1 - 2 and 3rd flashing here and there?

I will try for longer I have read somewhere (cannot find it again) may take up to 15 mins.

Thanks for your replies.

Buzzed

I'm taking FOX222s lead as I ordered one of these today. Hoping for a quicker lock. Will also add an aux. GPS LED so I can actually see when a 3-D lock has been made. FOX222 was kind enough to come up with a transistor switch circuit.

FOX222

The GPS shield works. It provides a better ground plane thus increasing signal strength. I did a before and after looking at signal strength and it was at least a 20% increase. Hell I get 9 to 10 sats with it on the kitchen table. The thing you will notice most is the speed that you get a lock. Definitely worth the $20.

John

MikroJ

I would leave your machine by the window for at least half an hour, switch it on and go do something else.

Is two hours long enough and only getting 3 satellites???? I dont have a controller yet so its only the navi/ and gps on the stack connected to MKtools? Navi is disconeected from fl ctrl. Should any of this effect it at all?

and this is outside in open space clearview no clouds? :(

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Does any one know what 3DGPS is. With 7 or eight satellites I get 3D but after 9 or 10 I get 3DGPS:confused:

Sorry jim but I dont have a low satellites problem. the longest I have to wait when I have moved a long distance to fly is about 3/5 mins for full lock.

Dave

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Is two hours long enough and only getting 3 satellites???? I dont have a controller yet so its only the navi/ and gps on the stack connected to MKtools? Navi is disconeected from fl ctrl. Should any of this effect it at all?

and this is outside in open space clearview no clouds? :(

There is a battery on the GPS board and if its not charged fully the board will take a long time to get a full lock. You should probably leave it powered up for 12 hours or so to make sure the battery is charged then try again.

FWIW, new GPS board on my stock Hexa will lock on much quicker than the one on my Droidworx MK, the difference? The one on the stock Hexa is new and the one on the Droidworx is a year old and well used.

Ken

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Does any one know what 3DGPS is. With 7 or eight satellites I get 3D but after 9 or 10 I get 3DGPS:confused:

Sorry jim but I dont have a low satellites problem. the longest I have to wait when I have moved a long distance to fly is about 3/5 mins for full lock.

Dave

I'm not sure of this but I think 9 or 10 satellites is enough to get workable altitude hold from the GPS as well as the normal positioning thus the 3DGPS, I seem to remember reading that somewhere.

Ken

P.S. the Timelords left a couple extra GPS sats over the UK to aid in Tardis navigation there, that's why your GPS works so well...;)

Last edited by a moderator:

MikroJ

All good , GPS sorted out , What I thought was an open veiw of the sky obviously wasn't big enough to get it started...:confused:....So I went to the top of a hill, big clearing and tried again, within 2 mins 10 - 12 satellites flashed and 8 - 9 locked in and had full 3dgps............ I now try this back at home down the hill and it takes no longer than 1 or so to find 8 or so again.....thanks for any of your advise, it kept me going instead of giving in to it......:D

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
I'm not sure of this but I think 9 or 10 satellites is enough to get workable altitude hold from the GPS as well as the normal positioning thus the 3DGPS, I seem to remember reading that somewhere.

Any chance of finding out more on that ken. Thats really interesting. I am going to order a GPS shield and also put a alu plate over the top of my FC to reduce any interference to the nav board.

Timelords left a couple extra GPS sats over the UK to aid in Tardis navigation there, that's why your GPS works so well...;)

Ahh thats what is is then.. Talking of timelords the new series starts over here next week :):):):)

Dave

Buzzed

As an update I added one of the GPS shields as John (FOX222) suggested and it really increased GPS lock time. It used to take me several minutes to establish a good GPS lock. Fact is I went so far as to replace the GPS board battery 1st thinking that was the problem. The battery didn't help. Watch the red flashing LED indicating GPS lock, and note that the Hexa is inside the house.

Last edited by a moderator:

Adam P.

Yes, the GPS shield is money well spent. It will cut GPS sat recognition/fix time in half...easy. Also we are seeing up to a 25% increase in sat resolution.

cheers
Adam