Lumix GF2

Kilby

Anyone using this camera? Thoughts or opinions? I was thinking it might be nice to serve dual roles as both an AP cam & point & shoot for pics around town.

ctbon

It's smaller and lighter than the GH2 (great camera!) but doesn't shoot in 24p if that's important to you. 24p gives your footage a very 'filmic' quality. Other than that and lack of a viewfinder and an external mic input, it's a great little camera that I've heard lots of good reports about.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
There ar so many good cameras out there right now it hard to make a decision on any of them.. I love Panasonic stuff I got the TZ10 which is super handy and a Sony Nex5 which I have found very good. Its hard to put paper between them all! 'Y'takes your choice and then something comes out the next day that you kick yourself about not seeing!
There all out of date before they are released.. but thats the same with everything these days

Dave

Kilby

Thanks for the input guys. I think I'm just going to have to take a leap of faith and go get one. Now the only problem is finding someone that has it in stock!

Kilby

I just ordered this camera. I'll be sure to let you guys know all about it when it shows up.

Kilby

I'm starting off with the 14-42mm it comes with. I'll probably get others as I figure out uses for them. ;-)

Kilby

Dang it, thanks for pointing that out, Droider. I think I got some features mixed up on this unit and could have swore it had a time lapse function. I'm going to have to rethink this now.

CopterCam

Dang it, thanks for pointing that out, Droider. I think I got some features mixed up on this unit and could have swore it had a time lapse function. I'm going to have to rethink this now.

If you have a spare channel you could always use a mini servo............ I use one and it works flawlessly.

Sid

Kilby

I don't have a spare channel right now... that's the problem. I plan on getting a larger radio in the future, but I would hate to have that hold me up from using this in the air.

It's always something.

Here is a bit of video from the GF2 and 14-42.

The largest drawback for me was the lack of manual exposure control for video.

Cheers,
Jeff

Last edited by a moderator:

ctbon

If you have a spare channel you could always use a mini servo............ I use one and it works flawlessly.

Sid

Sorry, Sid...could you briefly explain how you can trigger a shutter with a mini servo? I don't quite understand.

CopterCam

Sorry, Sid...could you briefly explain how you can trigger a shutter with a mini servo? I don't quite understand.

Mount a servo on the camera so that the arm can depress the shutter and use an Aux. channel on Rx and assign to the Flap or whatever is available on the Tx and adjust travel as necessary. I have used some shirt buttons placed on the shutter release with double sided tape to give some extra purchase. it may be necessary to fashion a servo arm depending where one mounts the servo. On the LX3 I have mounted the servo on the hot shoe..............

p1070914.th.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

p1070913p.th.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

p1070912k.th.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Sid

CopterCam

I don't have a spare channel right now... that's the problem. I plan on getting a larger radio in the future, but I would hate to have that hold me up from using this in the air.

It's always something.

Do not despair........ there is always the 'shirt button held on the shutter release with a rubber band' approach. Set it on 'Burst' (continuous) mode, make sure you have a big SD card if you intend to fly for a length of time ?

Sid

ctbon

Wow, CopterCam, that's really cool. Thanks for sharing. I have an LX3 as well and I love it. I will have to try something like this.