Looking for a good but cheapER Y6 frame... Any advice? What's the best Y6?

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
I'm keeping my Rusty frames, and the new one is a HEAVY INDUSTRIAL lift rig.

Basically I intend to have 3 working rigs.

My Y6 for windy days and risky situations (least expensive of my rigs) , it will be flying a gopro or Sanyo camcorder or NEX5.
My Flat 8 (rusty UAP2) for calmer days flying a gopro or Sanyo Camcorder/NEX5 and
my new XY8 Industrial rig for my NEX5 and a few larger cameras like my Sony HG21 Camcorder, Cannon D5 and a few other cams.

I will be doing event coverage for Flyinggiants.com RCGroups.com and also a bunch of real estate work that I fell into. Also, the new rig will be used to hoist a few cams for a few film productions. My friend produces independent movies, and has two films he is shooting this summer, and it looks like I'll get the chance to fly a BM potentially!

I can't wait to get some aerial shots with the new rig down at Joe Nall this year. the 3D pond will be seen from a different perspective!
I should be getting the new machine this weekend. Super stoked!

helloman1976

Ziptie Relocation Expert
I can't wait to see your new setup! I get as excited about other people's builds as I do my own. I always learn new things when I watch other people build so it's nice to get to share in it. Hey, speaking of which, how did you get the Naza GPS module to look carbon fiber? Is that what it is or just black tape over it or what? It makes it look like it was built that way and supposed to be there.

Good thinking on the rigs and setups and I didn't know you were making money on this "hobby". Would you say that the Y6 frame handles the wind better as well or it's just because that's the least expensive unit you have? I've heard that the Y6 seems to handle wind better but I never really tested it out other than flying a Y6 for a while and then flying an H6 for a while and mentally comparing the 2. I've had my H6 in 45mph winds and it flies well, nothing amazing but it's able to do it without any problems aside from pushing through the wind.

I can't wait to see your new build and setup, are you going to do a build log on here? If you weren't thinking about doing one, do one! :)

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
I think any of the coax rigs handle wind better because you are not flying a big disc of air like a flat 6 or 8. Coax also seem to descend better.
And making money.. HAHAHAHA... trying to recoup some is more like it.
But the RCG FG stuff is just part of my job, but I'm dumb and fund my own platforms to get cooler shots so I feel better about my work.
The movie stuff can lead to some money, but it's not guaranteed, and the real estate stuff will generate some loot, but not enough to justify the cost.
I'm just an addict like everyone here.
:D

helloman1976

Ziptie Relocation Expert
LOL!!!! Everyone needs a reason to get their fix, justification is usually just that :) Aren't we all addicted. Oh well, put your build in a blog and let's do this. GPS antenna black tape? What is that? I wish I had the money today so I can start building my new Rusty Y6...that sounds weird..."Rusty Y6". OH well, best Rusty product I'll have ever bought I'm sure. :) I like the fact that the footprint is smaller too, easier to transport and to get a case for. I'm waiting to buy a Pelican case until I find out the dimensions but that's coming next also.

mongo

lost soul
any thoughts on motors/esc for your Y-6? i am guessing something larger in order to carry the weight of camera and telemetry stuff.

helloman1976

Ziptie Relocation Expert
any thoughts on motors/esc for your Y-6? i am guessing something larger in order to carry the weight of camera and telemetry stuff.

Yes, I'm going to re-use what I have on my Hexa. All I'm doing is transferring everything over to the new Y6. I've found through testing that I really like slower spinning, higher torque motors. I'll be using the Turnigy NTM 750Kv 265W motors with either 11" or 12" props depending on what I can spin. I'm hoping I can use 12" props and I'll be getting 12"x3 for the top and 12"x5 for the bottom motors. Right now I'm using 10"x5 on a Hexa and at about 4-5lbs I'm getting about 10 minutes of flight time under aerobatic flying and about 12-14 minutes max under light and easy flying. I'm going to lose some efficiency when I switch to the Y6 so I'm hoping that 12" blades will make up for that. I'd really like to see 15 minute flight times but we will see. The frame will be much lighter and much more resistant to wind issues so I'm hoping I at least get the 10 minutes I had before. If I don't, I'll probably switch back to the Hexa setup but we will see.

What is everyone using for power distribution boards? I need to be able to pull a maximum of 20A per channel, 6 channels on it so I was thinking this, below??? I may end up goiing 5S too :) This next copter is going to be SICK...can't wait to order tomorrow.

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idproduct=38913

Stacky

I would think carefully about NTM motors. The QC is very poor and there are threads around where 90% of all postings are negative. I have about 8 of them and of those 8 half had some sort of fault, varying from mounting holes being out of line or stripping. On top of that they are poorly balanced.

helloman1976

Ziptie Relocation Expert
I would think carefully about NTM motors. The QC is very poor and there are threads around where 90% of all postings are negative. I have about 8 of them and of those 8 half had some sort of fault, varying from mounting holes being out of line or stripping. On top of that they are poorly balanced.

I've never used anything but NTM Turnigy motors and I have yet to have one fail that wasn't my fault. I have over 60+ YouTube videos around 8-10 minutes each and they are all on the same motors, about 15 hours of logged flight time. I hear that but I don't know where it comes from, I can at least say the 1350kv motors and the 750Kv motors I've owned were flawless. This is not to say I didn't get lucky but that's some luck. :)

helloman1976

Ziptie Relocation Expert
http://www.rctimer.com/index.php?gOo=goods_details.dwt&goodsid=573&productname=

looking at those motors to power my conversion of a rct sm 800 to Y-6

http://www.rctimer.com/index.php?gOo=goods_details.dwt&goodsid=850&productname=

with these esc. that gives me room to move yup to more motor , if i ever need to haul more than a go pro around.

mongo

If I were you I'd pass on those motors, 206W isn't going to get you much. You're in the right area if you're building a 4-5lb Y6. Remember with a Y6 you lose major efficiency in the co-axial motor setup. Look for a more powerful motor and I'd also recommend the Turnigy Plush 40A instead of those Hobbyking versions which are probably close to the same thing without the quality. Just my 2 cents...

Stacky

Trouble is your videos have jello all through them and even with perfectly balanced props the ntm motors will still induce jello.

When you try some decent quality motors you will understand.

I've never used anything but NTM Turnigy motors and I have yet to have one fail that wasn't my fault. I have over 60+ YouTube videos around 8-10 minutes each and they are all on the same motors, about 15 hours of logged flight time. I hear that but I don't know where it comes from, I can at least say the 1350kv motors and the 750Kv motors I've owned were flawless. This is not to say I didn't get lucky but that's some luck. :)

helloman1976

Ziptie Relocation Expert
Trouble is your videos have jello all through them and even with perfectly balanced props the ntm motors will still induce jello.

Maybe that's your problem but it isn't mine. I haven't tried even one time to reduce the jello effect in my videos nor do I fly to film but yet instead film when I'm flying. I have no intention of removing the jello which really has nothing to do with what motors you are using and everything to do with your camera setup. I could easily put a gimble on there and it would be gone overnight. I could care less about jello however 15 hours of flight time and 60+ videos is enough to convince anyone with any kind of commonsense that these motors will hold up. I've been a mile over the ocean before, where are you videos?

Stacky

One of the biggest causes of Jello is the motor balance and the prop balance.

I was simply pointing out the poor quality they are with respect to jello. I never once mentioned motor failures, mine have never failed.

Maybe that's your problem but it isn't mine. I haven't tried even one time to reduce the jello effect in my videos nor do I fly to film but yet instead film when I'm flying. I have no intention of removing the jello which really has nothing to do with what motors you are using and everything to do with your camera setup. I could easily put a gimble on there and it would be gone overnight. I could care less about jello however 15 hours of flight time and 60+ videos is enough to convince anyone with any kind of commonsense that these motors will hold up. I've been a mile over the ocean before, where are you videos?

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
ja

there are lots of examples of jello-free gopro's strapped right to frames. it's all in the motors and props.

helloman1976

Ziptie Relocation Expert

They're budget motors, they aren't designed to win awards and at less then $15 each they're very affordable. Jello or no jello doesn't matter to me, there are plenty of examples of jello free Go Pros with ear plugs under them and unbalanced blades people just put on their motors straight from the factory. I balance my blades and as you can see the jello is also RPM dependent and you can't get rid of that no matter what you do with any motor 100%. The rpm dependency will always be there otherwise people with $50 motors that are perfectly balanced wouldn't use dampeners. Again, it's irrelevant to me though because I don't care about jello. I just like to watch what I saw when I was flying and share that on YouTube. There are a lot of people on here who fly just to film, I don't...I film when I fly and share that on YouTube. The NTMs on a budget are excellent and don't fail..balanced or not, quality or not...they don't fail which was and is and always was the point.

Stacky

Mongo asked for opinions on motors.
He may have different flying needs to yours, he may be more concerned with jello than you are, I dont know.
You mentioned the ntms which I have been using for nearly a year now and I offered some thoughts on that with respect to QC referring to the build quality and jello.

BTW the source of vibrations is always from motors and props, and all FC's are affected by vibrations to different degrees. The less vibrations you have in your system the better it is for your FC and flight quality.

Last edited by a moderator:

helloman1976

Ziptie Relocation Expert
Mongo asked for opinions on motors.
He may have different flying needs to yours, he may be more concerned with jello than you are, I dont know.
You mentioned the ntms which I have been using for nearly a year now and I offered some thoughts on that with respect to QC referring to the build quality and jello.

No offense man, it is what it is. If he wants super motors then he'll pay the big money and get some Avroto motors. I'd rather get some cheap motors, take them apart, rewind them, balance the shaft and the can and put them all back together before I'd pay $50 per motor but that's just me. His needs are his own but to say NTM motors aren't worth it in general or to say the QC isn't there isn't really true...they aren't $50 each either so you don't get $50 QC you get $15 QC. Everything is relative. You wouldn't expect to win any awards with a NTM but you damn well better for $50++ each. My 2 cents...

helloman1976

Ziptie Relocation Expert
Rusty's UAP2 Y6.
Great rig!

View attachment 13462

SleepC, what size props are you spinning and what pitch are they? How long are your arms, 1/3 meter? I was thinking of getting 12x4.5 for the top and 12x6 for the bottom...they're carbon fiber so super light and strong. They have a demo of one blade holding up the weight of a can of paint and it is only slightly bending.

http://www.foxtechfpv.com/1245-carbon-fiber-propeller-cwccw-p-571.html

Bottom.
http://www.foxtechfpv.com/1260-carbon-fiber-propeller-cwccw-p-522.html

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
Sorry for the delay, I am having a busy week.
I'm running 12/38 APC SF on top and bottom, but I'm thinking of running APC SF 12/38 on top and 12/4 on bottom. The rig is 850mm from motor to motor.
I also tried the Gemfan 12/4 wood props, and they took quite a bit of effort to balance but I do like them as well.
Also, I made a change to the rig. The way the gimbal was mounted the landing gear were causing me some vibrations, so I changed the rig around, got some "Finestar" landing gear (fake cinstar)
And I now have this... I only made a quick hop, but the video looks pretty nice. No vibrations now...

View attachment 11033 View attachment 14056View attachment 14057

Attachments

• 907469_10200811906050259_1032159599_n.jpg
    907469_10200811906050259_1032159599_n.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 323
Last edited by a moderator: