Looking for a good but cheapER Y6 frame... Any advice? What's the best Y6?

helloman1976

Ziptie Relocation Expert
Any idea where there are so few Y6 frames out there? Maybe I'm just not looking in the right place? I'm looking to build another "Hexa" but do a Y6 this time instead of my current DJI F550. I started out with a Y6 and it was ok and I liked the layout of the larger surface area Hexa but I think transporting a Y6 is much easier, especially if it folds. I haven't found any very cheap though, unlike the DJI F550 which I got my frame for $26. I'm looking for something a little nicer though, maybe carbon fiber. Something like a Y6 version of the Tarot FY680 for example which is around $170 USD. Any advice is appreciated! What Y6 are you using or have used that you love? Thanks!!!

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com

Attachments

• 804138_10200689356026585_874623311_n-1.jpg
    804138_10200689356026585_874623311_n-1.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 441

helloman1976

Ziptie Relocation Expert
How about a UAP-1 frame From Rusty at AGL hobbies.
You can configure it how you want, Y6, hex, quad, if you don't like one configuration it's fairly simple to change.
Here's mine
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_POze3rFWTk&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Sent from my HTC HD2

Man, it looks painful to even buy one. The arms, in the fine print below, don't even come with the kit so you have to find arms that'll fit and that are long enough and that's a separate purchase. Plus, it looks like it's made of fiber glass? My experience with that stuff is that it breaks easy and isn't wonderful however it is light. For $70-$120 with no arms, just a stack of plates and some motor mounts I think I'll pass on that one but I really appreciate you sending me the suggestion. I'm curious why there aren't tons of Y6 frames out there for sale. They seem to be either full carbon fiber and $1,200USD or fiberglass and $20-$70ish. I guess this is why you don't see too many high end versions out there. I wish that Tarot made one as their FY680 is all carbon fiber and $170 which is a good price for a full carbon fiber unit.

What do you think of this one? It's plastic though...hmm...

http://www.goodluckbuy.com/flyinghu...raft-frame-multicopter-with-landing-skid.html

helloman1976

Ziptie Relocation Expert

jcmonty

Rusty sells arms too. It's customizable to be whatever you want it to be. So if you don't want DIY, then don't go that route. I have that same frame and love it

helloman1976

Ziptie Relocation Expert
Rusty sells arms too. It's customizable to be whatever you want it to be. So if you don't want DIY, then don't go that route. I have that same frame and love it

I guess I'll need to figure out a parts list and it looks like it could get pretty expensive. I love DYI I just don't quite get the website with the pieces scattered and no real way to connect it together mentally without so much reading. I wish it was simpler but I'll give it another look later. They need lots of drop down menus in their multicopter area. For example, you pick the frame which is universal, drop down for arms, drop down for mounts, drop down for landing gear all while the total is building up...just more convenient I guess. What about the round tubes for the arms, do the motor mounts or arms twist? Can you use square tubes? Thanks!

jcmonty

You buy the kit, arms, and landing gear. That's all you need from a frame standpoint. Why I like he stuff is that it's like an erector set - you can build anything. It's strong, and relatively light. I have never broken a piece. With the UAP2 - it's stiffer. Add his anti-vibe mounts and a gimbal and you get smooth nice video.

http://youtu.be/YYBZpMDaLTk All filmed with my earlier UAP1 Y6 and a gimbal with his gimbal kit. Results are even better now

helloman1976

Ziptie Relocation Expert
You buy the kit, arms, and landing gear. That's all you need from a frame standpoint. Why I like he stuff is that it's like an erector set - you can build anything. It's strong, and relatively light. I have never broken a piece. With the UAP2 - it's stiffer. Add his anti-vibe mounts and a gimbal and you get smooth nice video.

http://youtu.be/YYBZpMDaLTk All filmed with my earlier UAP1 Y6 and a gimbal with his gimbal kit. Results are even better now

Excellent! Wow, so what exactly makes the anti-vibe motor mounts anti-vibe? Looks like this one might be a winner. What diameter arms do you use or are most common/best? The landing legs look pretty cook too, glad to hear the parts are strong.

Stacky

Seriously? Painful to buy?. Its an easy website to order from. Rusty's kit is superb, fastest postage and the best support ever. 450 Heli booms available absolutely anywhere fit the kit and the Rusty frame is tougher than anyones. On top of that if you check his website he replaces parts that get broken free within reason, look at his warranty section. I have never seen anyone ever who has bought a Rusty's frame ever unhappy with the service or the quality. The only downside is that its a little heavier than the CF frames That goodluckbuy frame is junk, it will break first crash, you get what you pay for.
You can use square or found tubes if you want, its the most versatile kit around. If you decide later you no longer want to use it as a Y6 all those parts are easily configured into something else. Super easy to put together soon. Best value frame around and Rusty himself is one of the true good guys.

Man, it looks painful to even buy one. The arms, in the fine print below, don't even come with the kit so you have to find arms that'll fit and that are long enough and that's a separate purchase. Plus, it looks like it's made of fiber glass? My experience with that stuff is that it breaks easy and isn't wonderful however it is light. For $70-$120 with no arms, just a stack of plates and some motor mounts I think I'll pass on that one but I really appreciate you sending me the suggestion. I'm curious why there aren't tons of Y6 frames out there for sale. They seem to be either full carbon fiber and $1,200USD or fiberglass and $20-$70ish. I guess this is why you don't see too many high end versions out there. I wish that Tarot made one as their FY680 is all carbon fiber and $170 which is a good price for a full carbon fiber unit.

What do you think of this one? It's plastic though...hmm...

http://www.goodluckbuy.com/flyinghu...raft-frame-multicopter-with-landing-skid.html

helloman1976

Ziptie Relocation Expert
Seriously? Painful to buy?. Its an easy website to order from. Rusty's kit is superb, fastest postage and the best support ever. 450 Heli booms available absolutely anywhere fit the kit and the Rusty frame is tougher than anyones. On top of that if you check his website he replaces parts that get broken free within reason, look at his warranty section. I have never seen anyone ever who has bought a Rusty's frame ever unhappy with the service or the quality. The only downside is that its a little heavier than the CF frames That goodluckbuy frame is junk, it will break first crash, you get what you pay for.
You can use square or found tubes if you want, its the most versatile kit around. If you decide later you no longer want to use it as a Y6 all those parts are easily configured into something else. Super easy to put together soon. Best value frame around and Rusty himself is one of the true good guys.

Yes, painful to order as in not simple to order and you have to poke around for your parts versus simplicity like I explained above. I'm glad his customer service is spot on because that counts big time with me. Looks like this is what I'll be getting. Thanks to everyone for the info! This is why I love forums :)

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
Yep like all these guys have said Rusty's stuff is really nice for the price. And he now carries booms that are excellent quality.
Also he has a crash warrantee. If you have a misfortune, he will replace any part for free, you just pay shipping. He just needs a picture of the broken stuff.
That's a stand up dude. Also, if you order on Monday, your kit will ship on Monday. It's stupid fast.
I really can't say enough about the kits.

I'm also doing a review for RCG and I am using a UAP2 Octo kit... I made it 1001mm so it's 1 better than a Cinestar. :D

View attachment 10509View attachment 10510View attachment 10511

BUT as nice as they are... they don't compare to the HIGH END kits finish......, but Rustys are again great for the price!

Attachments

• back side.jpg
    back side.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 324
  • front side.jpg
    front side.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 363
  • front top.jpg
    front top.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 354
Last edited by a moderator:

jcmonty

Yep like all these guys have said Rusty's stuff is really nice for the price. And he now carries booms that are excellent quality.
Also he has a crash warrantee. If you have a misfortune, he will replace any part for free, you just pay shipping. He just needs a picture of the broken stuff.
That's a stand up dude. Also, if you order on Monday, your kit will ship on Monday. It's stupid fast.

I'm also doing a review for RCG and I am using a UAP2 Octo kit... I made it 1001mm so it's 1 better than a Cinestar. :D

View attachment 13466View attachment 13467View attachment 13468

BUT as nice as they are... they don't compare to the HIGH END kits finish......, but Rustys are again great for the price!

Agreed, Rusty is awesome, and is stuff is great for what it is. Does it have the finish of a droidworx or cinestar? No, but it flies fine if setup right and smooth footage is easy. Plus you don't like your Y6? Make it a X8, octo, xy8, quad, hex, or something original.. you get the point.

helloman1976

Ziptie Relocation Expert

View attachment 13466View attachment 13467View attachment 13468

Thanks a ton to everyone! Normally when I see fiberglass I think Chinese fiberglass on eBay and that stuff is just GARBAGE. It looks like Rusty's stuff is the ISH though so I'll be going that way and I of course with customer service like that I'm willing to pay more because it's worth it in the long run and why not support someone like that? That Octo is SICK looking and I have this thing for all black anything from my wife to my multicopters lol... Out of curiosity who makes the "high end" stuff you're talking about? And do you have any trouble with the round arms twisting or the motor mounts on the round arms twisting? Thanks!

helloman1976

Ziptie Relocation Expert
Agreed, Rusty is awesome, and is stuff is great for what it is. Does it have the finish of a droidworx or cinestar? No, but it flies fine if setup right and smooth footage is easy. Plus you don't like your Y6? Make it a X8, octo, xy8, quad, hex, or something original.. you get the point.

Yeah, that's big plus which means if I don't like the Y6 setup I can just switch back to my hexa setup. I've seen some Hexa setups where the front arms are put back a little bit so all the arms are away from the front where the camera is and that seems to work well also. If you've seen Hobbyking's "wildcat" setup it's like that with an hexa and I've seen that with an Octo to so the arms are not evenly spaced. I like the fact that with the Y6 the arms are out of the way and it's semi-redundant if a motor fails. I had a motor fail early on with my DJI F550 and it was actually cutting on and off but not doing much and I was able to land but barely able to hold on, I "frog hopped" off the ground about 30 feet before finally sticking it in the sand but it was a blast lol. Thanks again for the info and Droidworx and Cinestar...I'll have to check them out. Thanks!!!

helloman1976

Ziptie Relocation Expert
I'm trying to configure a Y6 setup with landing gear, 3 legs, on Rusty's website. My intention is to also buy enough "things" to make sure I can convert back to a Hexa setup if I don't like the Y6 setup. Can someone confirm I got the right things here? I think this is right but I'm trying to avoid having to send things back and buy the right things etc etc... Thanks all!!

3 x 16mm 1/4 meter long tubes for landing gear
1 x UAP 2 Hexa kit with the intention of going with Y6 first
6 x CF Tube 21.5mm x 19.5mm 1/3m will be using 3 but buying 6 to go back to Hexa if desired
1 x UAP2 Hexa Frame Motor Mount Type: Double Block Slotted X-Base (currently flying a DJI F550 with 28 sized motors, are these correct? also keep in mind I need to go from coaxil to regular hexa setup)

[h=2]View Cart[/h]
QtySKUItem NamePriceSubtotalDelete
<input type="text" name="quantity[0]" size="2" maxlength="6" value="3" spellcheck="false" style="font-size: 12px;">16mm CF Tube 1/4m long
$6.75$20.25
delete.gif

<input type="text" name="quantity[1]" size="2" maxlength="6" value="1" spellcheck="false" style="font-size: 12px;">TL-1 kit with 3 blocks
Arm Tubing Size: UAP2 21.5mm (Trex600/700)
$12.00$12.00
delete.gif

<input type="text" name="quantity[2]" size="2" maxlength="6" value="6" spellcheck="false" style="font-size: 12px;">CF Tube 21.5mm x 19.5mm 1/3m
$10.00$60.00
delete.gif

<input type="text" name="quantity[3]" size="2" maxlength="6" value="1" spellcheck="false" style="font-size: 12px;">UAP2 Hexa Frame
Motor Mount Type: Double Block Slotted X-Base
$115.00$115.00
delete.gif

<thead style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; outline: 0px; font-size: 12px; background-color: transparent; background-position: initial initial; background-repeat: initial initial;">
</thead><tbody style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; outline: 0px; font-size: 12px; background-color: transparent; background-position: initial initial; background-repeat: initial initial;">
</tbody>

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
The Carbon arms rusty offers are awesome. No twist or flex at all. And the motor mounts lock tight to the arms. no issues.

What you have listed is fine. I usually order an extra "mounting plate" just to have the option to go up another level. But that's just me. What you have listed will be fine.

Also check out quadframe.us for his landing gear if you would like an actual set of gear. They are OK for the price, a little flexy, but I do my best to not land hard.

And I was referring to Droidworx or Cinestar frames as highend frames. When you see those next to the Rusty stuff, you know why the others cost more. The CF plates are amazing, the engineering and set up is all figured out, you build it as it tells you to and you should have perfect results. But there is a price for all that development and quality. But for the mid price/low price stuff, you can't beat Rusty's frames.

I'm getting really excited to get a new rig I've been waiting on for a while, and it's another Highend US based frame manuf.. and it's gonna be SICK! But my Rusty's frames are also my goto solution!

helloman1976

Ziptie Relocation Expert
The Carbon arms rusty offers are awesome. No twist or flex at all. And the motor mounts lock tight to the arms. no issues.

What you have listed is fine. I usually order an extra "mounting plate" just to have the option to go up another level. But that's just me. What you have listed will be fine.

Also check out quadframe.us for his landing gear if you would like an actual set of gear. They are OK for the price, a little flexy, but I do my best to not land hard.

And I was referring to Droidworx or Cinestar frames as highend frames. When you see those next to the Rusty stuff, you know why the others cost more. The CF plates are amazing, the engineering and set up is all figured out, you build it as it tells you to and you should have perfect results. But there is a price for all that development and quality. But for the mid price/low price stuff, you can't beat Rusty's frames.

I'm getting really excited to get a new rig I've been waiting on for a while, and it's another Highend US based frame manuf.. and it's gonna be SICK! But my Rusty's frames are also my goto solution!

Excellent info thanks, Rusty replied also and he's awesome to work with. I'm excited to move UP from a HobbyKing DJI F550 knock-off frame :) From what I've seen Rusty's setups look pretty amazing and I think what I am about to order is $207 + shipping so compared to the other companies you listed THAT'S CHEAP!!! Thanks for your help!!!

helloman1976

Ziptie Relocation Expert
You will love it.

When are you getting your new frame? What you have looks great! Just curious, why upgrade? I can't wait to order my stuff from Rusty, I've been talking to him back and forth and turns out he lives a few hours from me and is in Florida also so shipping times should be amazingly fast. I'm looking forward to being able to go from Y6 to H6 if I want or whatever on later, it's like a kit that can grow with you. I'm mostly looking forward to not having anything in my cameras way when I record so it's a clear shot free of the distractions from propellers, arms and so on hence the Y6 design I'm moving back to.