Liability Insurance

Topflight

Checked Multi Rotor Forums and not finding much on liability insurance. So far I have two quotes from separate insurance companies. Both are approximately $825.00 for 1 million dollars in coverage for 1 year. Is this amount normal? I was told to start a LLC (limited liability company). Any thoughts on this?

sixshooterstang

Bird's Eyes Aerial Media
I cannot remember where for the life of me but there is another company that covers aerial photographers specifically

kloner

Aerial DP
if your flying for hire, you defintately want a layer of protection between your multi and your assets like LLC or inc

are you in the USA?

hjls3

Great company. Handles a bunch of full-scale hollywood aerial stuff to..ie dreamworks and the like. Ask for Terry - Transport Risk Management - they are in Colorado.

http://www.transportrisk.com

https://www.facebook.com/UAVInsurance

Terry is a great guy and very knowledgable, works with the FAA as well. Great resource. Here is terry's email (I believe he might be in London at the moment but he is super good about communicating via email) - tmiller@transportrisk.com

Last edited by a moderator:

CdA D

I know that you are looking for commerical liability ins. I'm not sure but for flying for fun I went with AMA, American Modeling Association, they cover up to 2.5 million for liability at the cost of your membership. I don't think it will cover commercial, but if your flying for fun then you should still think about covering your six.

kloner

Aerial DP
AMA is only available to ama members while on ama grounds...... after that it's useless

We use Transport Risk in Colorado, they are the real deal but charge it. they offer full coverage and reds........... they are like a car insurance where each car has it's own policy

We also have Hill and Usher, there alot cheaper but alot less coverage as liability only. we have a blanket over 4 rigs from them for the great low price...... i got smaller rigs and wings on this policy

CdA D

AMA is only available to ama members while on ama grounds...... after that it's useless

We use Transport Risk in Colorado, they are the real deal but charge it. they offer full coverage and reds........... they are like a car insurance where each car has it's own policy

We also have Hill and Usher, there alot cheaper but alot less coverage as liability only. we have a blanket over 4 rigs from them for the great low price...... i got smaller rigs and wings on this policy

Thanks Kloner! Need to look into these others that you have mentioned. Need to cover my 6!

I don't believe that is entirely accurate. Yes you must be a member but
for recreational flyers in any approved park or permitted flying area you are covered.
Approved meaning an AMA club field, public park or area that allows park flyers (i.e. small electric powered craft).
No one has yet to define "small". Pretty cheap insurance for $58.00 a year.
And yes,, they do not cover you if you are flying commercially.
800 to 1400 is a bit over the top for most rec flyers.
Commercial? That is a prop of a different color.

Emowillcox

I can tell you AMA will cover very little. First they will try and get your home owner insurance to cover the incident. They will do what ever they can to not have to cover a claim.

How are you guys getting your COA? I was under the impression that insurance alone is not all that is needed. I have the application for COA from the FAA, but seem like the UAV Pilot certificate class here at KState also requires IFR rating too?

or should I not have asked on this posting..:(

KS

I can tell you AMA will cover very little. First they will try and get your home owner insurance to cover the incident. They will do what ever they can to not have to cover a claim.

That IS entirely accurate. LOL

I know of 2 claims and both ran into that but in the end paid the full claims.
One was property damage and one was a self inflicted wound by an OS 160 started at full throttle.
It was ugly. They almost paid a death benefit.

dazzab

This is an interesting thread. I'm not in the US so things are a bit different here in Australia. But I've always wondered how anyone gets insurance in the US given that technically it's not legal to fly commercially. Why would an insurance company cover an illegal activity? Just curious.

SMP

Watch out for Hill and Usher... First they did, then they dont, then they fine print, then they dont. Been there done that.

kloner

Aerial DP
HU have actively covered libaility, not so much about the rest...... know a guy that filed a claim and they paid

Transport Risk is a killer company

What is illegal about what were doing? It is unlawful but not illegal, theres a very big difference between the two. here in 26 states i can legaly grow weed, brew beer, etc and it is illegal to some levels of gov, not so much to the states that have enacted laws to allow it, though not recognized..... this game feels alot of the same

I have been hired by state agency, federal gov and local gov, none have came back to kick down the door and they all paid.

It is unlawful but not illegal, there's a very big difference between the two.

Actually the only difference between the two is the spelling. The two are synonymous.
You may be getting away with it and getting paid but that does not make it legal or OK.
It only puts you in bed with people who are ignorant of the law or are simply justifying the means.

I do not agree with the laws concerning the use of copters for commercial photography.
It's just a noisy tripod. The don't seem to mind tripods as long as they are grounded but fly it and,,,,,,
That said, I also believe I should be able to drive faster in some areas or own a machine gun or countless other unlawful/illegal things.
Because I do those and get away with it doesn't make it legal or OK.
(By the way, I don't have a machine gun but I'd sure like one.)

I believe the laws could be challenged and changed but our voice is not yet strong enough.

ghaynes

Also Costello Insurance (www.aviationi.com) is in the UAV insurance business. The owner, Pat Costello, is a long time aviation/glider insurance agent. Service from Pat when I was flying gliders was superb and he is a no BS guy with straight answers unlike others that are offering insurance.