I've Seen the Light

jforkner

I've been skeptical of the numerous claims of DJI props breaking in flight. I kept saying to myself (and others), "How can this happen?"

Last night I experienced it for myself. While flying from my side yard, at about 30 feet in altitude, my F450 (with stock DJI props) fell from the sky. Fortunately it landed in a tree next to the house and didn't get damaged (othere than the broken prop). Graupners are on the way.

Here's a brief video of the action...

Jack

Last edited by a moderator:

kloner

Aerial DP
man, that thing fell like a rock. Wait, what, ohhh

I think it's a cost thing. They figure they can't give us and charge us for graupners so they put something int he box, extras at that and send ya off. i bet 99% of the people that get the 450 arf crash it in the first 10 minutes they fly it and now need new props anyways. I did

luckily when i got in, the props werent even an item you could buy so i went to acp by force the first day. I was bummed

Dewster

I think prop breaks are the number one cause of multicopter crashes. I upgraded to Graupners too. I had APC props and then decided to go with full carbon fiber props only to have it snap on my hexa after less than five minutes flight time. My Hexa rolled 90 degrees on it's side, motors cut off, and dropped out of the sky like a rock. There was no glide and no hope. Picture a rock falling from the sky. That was my hexa after the prop break.

APC, Graupners, or Xoar. Nothing else.

3dheliguy

Yeah well they are cheap props... U can only be so cheap. Moral of the story people dont use DJI props unless you are just messing around learning how to fly, and you havent found this forum yet. Lol

Explorocam

Airborne Media Pros
I ordered Graupners when I ordered my F550. I didn't want to take any chances. I used the stock Props to set up and calibrate, once everything seemed ok I put the Graupners' on. So far so good. I even had a couple of tip overs due to auto landing where it shouldn't have and the props are fine.

Kilby

I've been skeptical of the numerous claims of DJI props breaking in flight.

Why would you do such a thing? You saw, not one, but numerous claims.

A better title for this post would have been "I've finally learned the hard way". ;-)

Dewster

I'm a fan of Graupner too. I have more confidence in the prop, especially seeing the wider hub. Hubs seem to be the weakest link on some props. Plus the Graupners are so much more quieter than my APCs.

It's best to eliminate any known issues that can cause a crash. I see so many videos of these craft flown over houses, cars, people etc. You need reliable equipment that won't fail. Props breaking in flight is unacceptable.

Explorocam

Airborne Media Pros

A better title for this post would have been "I've finally learned the hard way". ;-)

I couldn't agree more. "I've finally learned the hard way". But I think I understand jforkner, I know for me it was a bitter pill to swallow when I saw the price of the Graupner Props. I was hoping that if the DJI is so great then they must have great props to. However, the numerous posts about how crappy they are, I was compelled to order the Graupner props with the F550 at the same time.

JCNH

Jack,
You and I both got lucky on our prop failures. One of my props also bit the dust about 30 feet up in the back yard. Luckily, I also hit a tree with a lot of leaves that cushioned the fall. Had to get a ladder and a 10 foot pole with a hook on it to get the hex out of the tree. Learned the hard way and ordered the Graupners the same day. Glad to hear there was no major damage.. Be careful with the Graupners. They are sharp!
Regards
Jim C.

jforkner

Sorry, dude. I should have listened to you sooner. What was I thinking?

Jack

meme

That Tree is your Friend now :)

I've been skeptical of the numerous claims of DJI props breaking in flight. I kept saying to myself (and others), "How can this happen?"

Last night I experienced it for myself. While flying from my side yard, at about 30 feet in altitude, my F450 (with stock DJI props) fell from the sky. Fortunately it landed in a tree next to the house and didn't get damaged (othere than the broken prop). Graupners are on the way.

Here's a brief video of the action...

Jack

Explorocam

Airborne Media Pros
Came down like a freaking rocket. You can see how the Naza is still trying to keep it stable, but without the prop all it can do is dive.

Love my Graupners so far.

Dewster

I couldn't agree more. "I've finally learned the hard way". But I think I understand jforkner, I know for me it was a bitter pill to swallow when I saw the price of the Graupner Props. I was hoping that if the DJI is so great then they must have great props to. However, the numerous posts about how crappy they are, I was compelled to order the Graupner props with the F550 at the same time.

The price is expensive, but it's more expensive if your craft falls from the sky because of a prop self destructing. I spent a lot of money on Gemfan full carbon fiber props and replaced my reliable APC props with them. One carbon fiber prop snapped in flight sending my craft to the ground. It snapped at the hub and cost me a lot. I was really only able to salvage the WKM and four out of six motors.

Props are important. Their reliability is not determined by price. The Graupners are worth every penny. Plus you'll have peace of mind knowing that your craft won't fall from the sky because of snapping props.

jforkner

Got the new 10x5 Graupners yesterday. Balanced & mounted them. I can't believe what a difference they made. The sound, alone, of them spinning is so much quieter and smoother than the DJIs.

Lesson learned!

Jack

Explorocam

Airborne Media Pros
Got the new 10x5 Graupners yesterday. Balanced & mounted them. I can't believe what a difference they made. The sound, alone, of them spinning is so much quieter and smoother than the DJIs.

Lesson learned!

Jack

Nice to hear it Jack, You'll love the Graupners for time to come. I found that I needed to raise my throttle curve just a little to get make a smooth transition from Manual to Altitude mode. You may or may not need to do that.

If you balance the motors and the Graupners you can illuminate vibe to the camera even when it's hard mounted. Enjoy your props.

paulb

I had a prop failure today and my F450 fell like a brick from about 100ft smashing an arm, motor, esc and luckely the lipo ejected about 20 ft away when it exploded boy do those things burn.
I have been reading about Graupners props can some one give a uk site that sells them.