I've only got one set of hands..... pilot, photographer or both?

bson

Blades.... For what it is worth....
In some countries the regulations require a 2nd MR operator for safety reasons where the pilot is at risk of crashing the MR due to multitasking challenges such as with FPV and/or video work.
But the 3rd axis also adds a significant amount of MR weight so as to reduce flight time requires a separate RC receiver and Transmitter and operator c/w separate FPV.....
Yaw control provides the same results as panning but imposes a lot of extra challenge on the Pilot if moving forward at the same time.
The DJI IOC capability can help somewhat but you are locked in to one sideways video angle.
The DJI POI capability is also a nice feature if you are wanting to circle around the subject with the video camera remaining pointed straight at the subject thru the full 360 degrees.
Unfortunately there is no way around the extra weight and cost if you must have RC remote control of the MR video camera including panning capability.

Hi gtranquilla!

I agree to your comments, but I think yawn control when using course lock mode with Wookong M gives me the same freedom of video angles as with yawn on a 3-axis gimbal. I also fly with a second operator for camera when the situation requires it, but without any extra weight and cost (except for an additional cheep low-end Futaba transmitter). When we are two operators I connect the extra transmitter with a trainer cable and after switching over to course lock mode, I activate the trainer switch to let my camera operator take over multirotor yawn, camera tilt and camera shutter. This is very convenient and works very well. I have been using this setup on a number of commercial jobs.

Cheers,
/Björn

Bson......That is an excellent idea... thank you. I have the correct buddy box and correct trainer cable so this is now an option.

One remaining issue is that my S800 clone tends to have some yaw drift clockwise or counterclockwise on an out and return flight such as straight done a 500 yard fairway...... have never been able to totally resolve that. This happens with a light cross breeze but disappears when there is no breeze!!!

Hi gtranquilla!

I agree to your comments, but I think yawn control when using course lock mode with Wookong M gives me the same freedom of video angles as with yawn on a 3-axis gimbal. I also fly with a second operator for camera when the situation requires it, but without any extra weight and cost (except for an additional cheep low-end Futaba transmitter). When we are two operators I connect the extra transmitter with a trainer cable and after switching over to course lock mode, I activate the trainer switch to let my camera operator take over multirotor yawn, camera tilt and camera shutter. This is very convenient and works very well. I have been using this setup on a number of commercial jobs.

Cheers,
/Björn

blades

Blades.... For what it is worth....
In some countries the regulations require a 2nd MR operator for safety reasons where the pilot is at risk of crashing the MR due to multitasking challenges such as with FPV and/or video work.
But the 3rd axis also adds a significant amount of MR weight so as to reduce flight time requires a separate RC receiver and Transmitter and operator c/w separate FPV.....
Yaw control provides the same results as panning but imposes a lot of extra challenge on the Pilot if moving forward at the same time.
The DJI IOC capability can help somewhat but you are locked in to one sideways video angle.
The DJI POI capability is also a nice feature if you are wanting to circle around the subject with the video camera remaining pointed straight at the subject thru the full 360 degrees.
Unfortunately there is no way around the extra weight and cost if you must have RC remote control of the MR video camera including panning capability.

Thanks for the info gtranquilla!! :encouragement:

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
With all the bad movies out there I could use that yawn control as well. :)

The jr 9503 radio has sliders on the sides which make it very easy to override tilt while still maintaining a nice grip I the radio. Although you lose framing ability I became pretty good at doing ice calculated smooth shots. But nothing beAts 2 people when it comes to focusing on the subject. And using ultra wide angle lenses doesn't look pro most of the time. I call that type of gopro shooting style "spray and pray."

Torque66

I have no problem doing both....

[video=youtube;wux_JlSW3vI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wux_JlSW3vI&feature=share&list=UU7UTBE63h-gumXVHAPCtHbA&index=1<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wux_JlSW3vI&feature=share&list=UU7 UTBE63h-gumXVHAPCtHbA&index=1" target="_blank">
[/video]

Last edited by a moderator: