IMU Calibration

Explorocam

Airborne Media Pros
so if you can, lift the right side ( think that's where it drifted till you see a number change that corresponds to the direction being observed by the imu, then calibrate it.....

I'll try, but it's kind of hard cause the numbers are jumping around even after it's been raised. I'm programming a new model and about to reflash the firmware.

kloner

Aerial DP
they jump around but you'll see a .4 that jumps around start looking more like -.x or whatever...... it wasn't impossible cause i did it, but if that number obviously shifts, you hit calibrate and no change, somethings wrong, that' takes a dealer to resolve

skipper1

Mine does that same thing. They usually go back and forth ".-1 & .1", I can never get them to be stationary, even though the quad is just sitting there on the table and I can never get "0" across the board.
Oh, and it drifts to the right.

Last edited by a moderator:

Explorocam

Airborne Media Pros
Ok, this is good to know.

@Skipper1 you said +/- .1, I usually get +/1 .3 as you can see in the video.
@Kloner, I've reflashed the firmware, so I'll try the IMU calibration again and hopefully this will work this time. I'll try what you said and look for the numbers to change.
@Skipper1, so you were having the same drifting problem? Did you fix it with sub-trim?

kloner

Aerial DP
are we sure sub trim works right? a good way to check would be to make it obviously offset, turn off the naza and back on and make sure it still over where you left it. i did this in the begining and it didn't help it consistently or something along those lines, shifting the imu levelness did, i was wedging stuff under the side it drifted and it stopped drifting totaly, essentialy the same thing as re leveling the imu with calibration

skipper1

I haven't done the sub trim yet. I've been waiting on new esc's and will install them this weekend. I'll then do a recalibration and see what happens, if it still drifts, then I'll start doing sub trim.

When you say re-flashed the firmware, exactly what do you mean. If you're saying you re-install the latest firmware, how do you do that?

skipper1

I've tried using paper & thin pieces of cardboard on both sides and nothing works for me. I even taped off a spot on my table so that I would always put the quad in the exact same place. I'm ready to put it in a different place and turn it in the opposite direction. I wonder if having it east, west, south or north has anything to do with it?

I'm just throwing stuff out there.

Explorocam

Airborne Media Pros
are we sure sub trim works right? a good way to check would be to make it obviously offset, turn off the naza and back on and make sure it still over where you left it. i did this in the begining and it didn't help it consistently or something along those lines, shifting the imu levelness did, i was wedging stuff under the side it drifted and it stopped drifting totaly, essentialy the same thing as re leveling the imu with calibration

Sorry Klonner, not sure I understand can you rephrase that?

Explorocam

Airborne Media Pros
I haven't done the sub trim yet. I've been waiting on new esc's and will install them this weekend. I'll then do a recalibration and see what happens, if it still drifts, then I'll start doing sub trim.

When you say re-flashed the firmware, exactly what do you mean. If you're saying you re-install the latest firmware, how do you do that?

I just reinstalled the the firmware.
I uninstalled the Assistant and reinstalled it fresh. Then I plugged the model into the USB and went to TOOLS and hit upgrade. I had to do it a couple of times for it to take. It tells you adjust all the settings again, but I don't think I'll do that as I'm upgrading from 2.02 to 2.02.

Your issue sounds just like mine.

So tell me. You said you are getting different ESCs are going to use the SimonK ESCs? I've thought about getting those myself.

kloner

Aerial DP
lets say you calibrate your tx in tx cali....... open your radio menu to sub trim, move ail to a side so it's not green and an abvious change. Now unplug the flight pack and plug it back, does the ail still sit over there?

one problem your gonna see is if it's the gyro making the drift, manual will most likely be affected into a slow roll or rise in ele as it's flown one versus the other..... the other thing i think happens is a certain amount of recalibrating centers when naza is booted, but i might be wrong

When you change the imu cali, it changed everything about my nazas hover in atti and gps atti. it was obvious i had just changed it. if your not seeing that, either something is being clicked wrong or missed. Next time you try to calibrate the imu, have somebody hold the camera over your shoulder and follow your every move, show us. were hitting all the finish clicks, ok clicks, write clicks along the way right?

Explorocam

Airborne Media Pros
Ok, here's the first video of how I calibrated the IMU.

I cut the video a little short but I finished by unplugging the batter, turning off the transmitter and then unplugging the USB.

Not sure if I missed something.

Here is the second video of my setting up for IMU calibration. In this one I slide a thin piece of cardboard under the right side of the hex and check for to see if the gyro degrees change a little.

kloner

Aerial DP
that all looked good. i feel like i would have clicked check imu status, but i think that just says it's in range

overall you got that sucker sitting pretty dang level.... mine was .7 one way off and when i took that to a -4 with sheets of paper under the leg, it sits there hands free, first time since i owned these things

will watch for part2

Explorocam

Airborne Media Pros
Ok, so I added a little more lift the right side and the problem is still there. I'm including a video of the last calibration and a video of the result.

Calibration:

Result:

kloner

Aerial DP
so now you got your ammo to send your dealer,,, that second vid wasn't there when i said it all looked good earlier, that piece of cardboard should have totaly changed that number shown

Was this controller involved in a deal where we re installed the firmware? we've been through so many problems lately i don't remember

Just to try something, try turning off the video transmitter, anything extra that's on there in the video and make sure that doesn't change things. What is the transmitter?

Explorocam

Airborne Media Pros
so now you got your ammo to send your dealer,,, that second vid wasn't there when i said it all looked good earlier, that piece of cardboard should have totaly changed that number shown

Was this controller involved in a deal where we re installed the firmware? we've been through so many problems lately i don't remember

Just to try something, try turning off the video transmitter, anything extra that's on there in the video and make sure that doesn't change things. What is the transmitter?

Thanks for the help. This has been driving me crazy.

Hi

Long time listener, first time caller here.

In the IMU calibration window, the units that are listed for the gyroscope are degrees/s. This is a rate unit, not a linear unit... am I incorrect? That is, it should measure how fast it moves, not how far. So if this is the case, then it should make no difference if one side is lifted higher than the other. As long as the aircraft is sitting still (as on a table) the readings should be zero. Someone who has worked with "real world" sensors knows that there is really no such thing as "zero", merely a range around zero. Which begs the question... what is an acceptable range? Sitting still, mine drift about .1 or .2 from zero.

Rotating my Naza equipped quad seems to confirm the degree/sec readings as a movement rate. If you rotate the craft about one axis exactly 90 deg in exactly one second, it should read 90 while it is in motion. Once you stop, the numbers return to zero because it is no longer moving (0 deg/sec).

I am asking more than anything, as I am having a little problem with my auto-pilot and I am trying to trace down the issue.

kloner

Aerial DP
I'm not sure about that,,,, mine shows both a row of numbers that's where it is sitting in relation to level then a row of numbers called acceleration, that'd be the accelerometers. So those do move cause your moving them, but the gyro part is what gets reset to flat even if it's not flat on the frame. Mine went from a left drift since day 1 to a hard right drift from my first try to flat dead hand free atti hover the third try,,,,, it is insane how much it changed the way it flies

Explorocam

Airborne Media Pros
I just uploaded two new videos that I have sent to DJI, I hope this will help them understand what the problem is and so this will influence the dealer. The dealer here in Canada would want to send the unit to their distributer in the States and not to DJI. So I'm hoping that the Emails from DJI will help my dealer take this issue more seriously.

Yes, you are correct that there are 2 sets of numbers. One is the Gyro and the other acceleration (accelerometers). The gyro measures the speed of the rotation and the accelerometers measure the position.

I just tried it. Look at the acc when sitting flat on the table, the X and Y axis read zero and the Z is -1 (that is, it is measuring 1 g as a result of gravity). Rotate the craft 90 degrees and hold it. Z goes to 0 and the axis about which you rotate will go to 1 (or -1 depending on which way you rotate it) because gravity is now pulling straight down on that axis (instead of Z.)

So if Z = 1 (or in this case -1) and X, Y read zero, then the system is level. If X or Y is non-zero, then the system (our copter in this case) is not level. Give it a try.

As to the drifting problem of Explorocam... Watching the video of your hover.... it looks pretty good to me. I would just dial in a couple of clicks of trim after takeoff. If you feel that is not an acceptable solution, perhaps check your CG? Are your props and motors balanced?