I just don't get the whole battery thing...why can't you use all the available power?

JCNH

Thanks to all that posted on this thread. Great reading and eye opening for someone who is just starting out.
Jim C

Efliernz

Pete
One charging option I've used... place the battery in a high-sided heat-proof baking dish. The charger is beside it with the wires connected - nothing strange here yet! Now - a lipo fire cannot be put out/restricted with water. I have a 5lb bag of golden sand that can sit on top of the bowl. It doesn't pinch the charging wires... and if the battery goes up, the plastic bag melts and quenches/restricts the fire.

Now, I like many have got very lazy with this. I think it is time I started being more careful again...

Pete

mmurfitt

I had absolutely no idea charging a Lipo battery was so hazardous, I'm so used to charging camera/phone/most small gadgets without barely a pause or thought that this is all a little scary to think I could be nurturing a 'flaming house leveller' without even knowing it..

On the advice of one of the comments on this thread I've ordered an ammo box to store my lipo's in, not sure what course of action/precaution to take while I'm charging them. I love the sand thing as suggested by 'Efliernz', just not sure where I'd keep it, how I'd store it and most importantly how I'd persuade my two year old that it's not something to play with..

I'm so glad I started this thread as it's certainly opened my eyes and caused me to be a lot more wary of Lipo's, I just had absolutely no idea..

kloner

Aerial DP
things like 5 gallon bucket full of sand with lid are common place at ama fields...... it's how you want to transport a lipo that got hot.

to charge you should use a lipo charging bag and most people utilize concrete, brick or some other un burnable material to set them on.

That ammo can will get hotter than hell if it ever burns, keep it on something that can't light. Fireplace is a good spot, garage away from walls, etc. i use my stove top to charge on,,

kloner

Aerial DP
if you light a fire in an oven, depending how big it may or may not contain it..... you kinda leave the whole 450 degree like an oven and hit the whole thousand degrees like a fire with a fuel source......

we had a seminar by our fire dept on how to put out a lipo, the only way was smothering it so it didn't shoot sparks and other material to light other stuff on fire. we live in fire country, to fly electric we have to pass an ama guided course on lipo safety.

mmurfitt

Hmmm, yeah.
My 'challenge' is I have to try and 'pick' somewhere in the house which is going to prove the safest option. In the UK, especially in winter, it's very damp, so although I have a garage...it's very damp out there, also I don't want to leave the lipo's unattended (can you tell I'm starting to become a bit 'lipo' paranoid?) :)