Howdy from Kansas City

vinito

... and no, my name isn't "howdy", I was just sayin'...

Hi.
I'm from Kansas City and I just got done building a quadcopter.
S500 frame
APM 2.6 controller w/ NEO-6M GPS & compass
power module
3DR radio telemetry kit
30A "simon series" ESCs (apparently blheli firmware and not simonk)
Tarot 2814/700kv motors
5000mah battery (so far)

here's a quick pic of it as of last night:
Build1.jpg

I'll have some questions on the thing but I'll post those in a more suitable category.

I used to be into RC planes back in the '80s and have been out of it for a very long time. I picked up a Hubsan and then a Syma with the camera and have had a lot of fun playing around with them. Enough fun that I've got the RC bug again, but this time I'm liking the multirotors.

Not much else to say I guess. I'm a machinist so I make stuff all day long. I guess I never get enough of it or sumthin'. I piddle with electronics and been working on getting a 3D printer going for a while... it's almost there I think.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Hey there! Welcome to the forum.

Looks like you're off to a good start, and have a feel for the controls from your time with the smaller MRs.

I just got a 3D printer going as well. Seems there is a crossover between the hobbies. And having the printer definitely allows for making parts quick that would take a week to ship, if you can even find it.

I'm working on a review of the TTRobotix Super Hornet 650. I'm going to be flying with the APM 2.5, and because of the canopy, there was no way to mount the GPS or Rx. A couple quick designs in solidworks, printer fired up and an hour later had my mounts ready to go.

Ask away with the MR questions. Plenty of great folks here to help.

vinito

Thanks for the reply.
Yea that 3D printer thing is just too handy. I've already run into a half-dozen little bits I'd like to print on this MR just because they don't exist.
You might be right about the crossover, but these days 3D printers are so popular that there is a lot of that in several fields. I remember back when I just wanted to get into machining, part of it was just because there were a lot of things I wanted but weren't available at the hardware store or anywhere else, even though in my head I "knew" they had it. Nope. Just in my head. That's the way with the printers I think. I'm sure most people dream up little things all the time that they wish they could just get but aren't made, so off to the CAD program (or a website to download) and without leaving the house, they have one in their hand a little later.

I'll be probing and stabbing at the MR part of today to try to figure some things out. But I will still have plenty of questions left and I'm sure tonight I'll be posting some questions.

Thanks again for the welcome.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Sounds good. Questions are what will help get you to the next level - and with the collective experience of the members here, you'll be on your way in no time.

Make sure to post some pics of your 3D printed parts when you get a chance.

vinito

I just walked back in from the backyard attempt at hovering the new MC.
SUCCESS!
I can't say it was "pretty", but it wasn't too bad. Control is pretty twitchy. I think this thing will be a faster craft than I expected. I obviously need to tweak some PID but that too is a bit closer to decent than I expected. So something actually went well for a change. Yaaaay.

I just remembered I printed something relevant the other day so I thought I'd post a quick pic. My printer has kind of occasionally worked from time to time and I think I've figured out where most of my problems were and I'm fairly close to getting it back up and running. I broke it pretty good taking it apart to fix it the last time. I didn't care, the things I broke were why it wasn't working right anyway, so whatever. I built it myself based on a mix of designs I liked, so it first extruded plastic over a year ago and it has been intermittently shelved and re-animated a few times over time. I've taken longer to get my printer built and working than anyone else I've ever heard of, by far. And I make things for a living !!! Fortunately the record on this printer is in no way indicative of my regular skill or speed.

So anyway, here's the pic. It's a box enclosure for the Hubsan. Neat little thing fits the copter nicely. I just downloaded the design off Thingiverse.

Hub.jpg