Hoverfly Hoverfly GPS

erikbuch

Hi everybody!
I have a HF pro(black) with gps-board attached, and the GS407 gps antenna. It flies great on my Y6, in fact it is the most stabile controller I´ve ever had, but I have never managed to get a fix on the gps led. It only show me red after initializing with flashing purple. I have really never had use for the gps function,and with the problems that I have read about the last year, I have not done so much with getting it to work. But today I set out to get a fix, but no matter what I do, it is still red light only. Of cource it is the latest firmware on both boards, I´m in an open area with no obstructions, tried both cables (both short and long) to see if that could be the problem. But no go.
Is there any way to test the antenna for malfunction? As far as I have read, as long as it is red light the board is supposedly communicating with the antenna.
Anybody have any idea I´ll be more than happy to test anything!
Best regards
Erik

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
How long did you wait? I had the same problem thinking it didnt work but it took 3-4 minutes for the gps to find satellites which is just ridiculous. I am an avid hoverfly supporter but the gps needs serious work. Glad to hear the Y6 works well as I am about to put another hfp on mine. I'd be curious what the technical differences are between DJI and Hoverfly, and the other brands for that matter. What is it that allows DJI's gps to work so well and quickly? THe Chinese steal damn near EVERYTHING from other people's ideas, I say we steal their gps! :)

erikbuch

Hehe, Yeah, maybe we should steal it ;-)
Well, first time I tried i waited for about 18 minutes, because I read somewhere that one guy actually had waited that long. Then I had to do some flying ;-) But today I waited for over one hour, just sitting there watching the damned red led ;-) I have ordered a diydrone mediatek antenna now, just $37, so if it works then, its possible my antenna has had a beating. I know It flipped on me while setting up the Y6, as I had made the mistake of putting one of the esc leads in the wrong output :upset: I didnt try to get a fix before that, so I dont know if it has ever worked.
You will be very happy with the Y6 configuration, It is the most stable, easy to fly multi i´ve ever had! Even on decent it dont wiggle around as my other multi´s do. I ´ve never had the nerve to try "manual" mode with any other controller either, but with this one I feel actually safer in manual.(beeing a heliguy) I couldnt be happier with the hoverfly controller!:highly_amused: Just get this gps to work now ;-)

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Yeah, I've had the Y6 for a while but with the WKM which had some weird issues with my Y6. Probably gains not set right as there are many on here with the same config and very happy. but yes, the hoverfly is superior in it's flight characteristics. For the most part it is exactly what I want. Just simple, easy to handle, very smooth, handles wind pretty well, did I mention smooth!

Waiting for over 5 minutes is just crazy talk. I wonder how much of the issue is hardware vs. firmware.

erikbuch

Ok, then I wont wait any more for a fix on this antenna! We´ll see how thing goes when the mediatek arrives ;-)
What i can figure out reading around the forums, the mediatek should be faster than the GS407, lets hope!
Ill report back!
If anyone else have some ideas, please pass them on ;-)

S11D336B

George - Hoverfly
The time it takes to get a fix can very significantly depending on where you are in the world. There are also electrical considerations. I have had much lower fix times when the GPS antenna is mounted further away from the HoverflyGPS using the longer cable. I would recommend mounting the GPS antenna on one of the arms of your multirotor.

erikbuch

Hi George! Im in the middle of Norway, and have no problems with various osd-gps, or a naza with gps. So I believe the antenna is somehow malfunctioning. Tried for another hour today ;-) The placement on the Y6 is as far out on the rear arm, that the wire(and props) allows, and approximately 15 cm up, well over props and dome. I have even had antenna loose and tried different placements just to be certain. But still no go. It is like the antenna is locked up somehow. I can see there is a small battery on the diydrone adapter on the antenna, can this have anything to do with it? I mean if it is drained?

Ive ordered a mediatek now, from diydrone, and hopefully this will fix the issue. This one: (http://store.diydrones.com/MediaTek_MT3329_GPS_10Hz_Adapter_Basic_p/mt3329-02.htm)
As Ive seen several had success with it. Will probably have to change protocol on it to nmea, but ill figure that out when I get it.

Thanks for taking the time anyway, you guys are doing a great job!!
How is the "external magnetometer" plan going? Any news?

Best regards
Erik

S11D336B

George - Hoverfly
The little guy that looks like a battery is actually a super capacitor. It gets charged when you use the GPS. This probably isn't the problem. It's more likely that your GPS antenna is damaged in some way. The mediatek one should help.

-George

Hi George! Im in the middle of Norway, and have no problems with various osd-gps, or a naza with gps. So I believe the antenna is somehow malfunctioning. Tried for another hour today ;-) The placement on the Y6 is as far out on the rear arm, that the wire(and props) allows, and approximately 15 cm up, well over props and dome. I have even had antenna loose and tried different placements just to be certain. But still no go. It is like the antenna is locked up somehow. I can see there is a small battery on the diydrone adapter on the antenna, can this have anything to do with it? I mean if it is drained?

Ive ordered a mediatek now, from diydrone, and hopefully this will fix the issue. This one: (http://store.diydrones.com/MediaTek_MT3329_GPS_10Hz_Adapter_Basic_p/mt3329-02.htm)
As Ive seen several had success with it. Will probably have to change protocol on it to nmea, but ill figure that out when I get it.

Thanks for taking the time anyway, you guys are doing a great job!!
How is the "external magnetometer" plan going? Any news?

Best regards
Erik

panino

The time it takes to get a fix can very significantly depending on where you are in the world. There are also electrical considerations. I have had much lower fix times when the GPS antenna is mounted further away from the HoverflyGPS using the longer cable. I would recommend mounting the GPS antenna on one of the arms of your multirotor.
George,
Can You please tell (link) which cable did U use to mount the antenna further away? The one supplied with the GPS board is only 15 cm long. I have seen this in one of Your older posts, but cant seem to find it now...
thnx
Panino
edit:
is it this one?
http://store.diydrones.com/DF13_6_Position_Connector_25_cm_p/ca-0001-34.htm

Last edited by a moderator:

S11D336B

George - Hoverfly
HEre is a 30cm cable. There is a 55cm one too if you need it.

http://store.diydrones.com/EM_406_uBlox_Adaptor_Cable_30_cm_p/ca-0001-03.htm

George,
Can You please tell (link) which cable did U use to mount the antenna further away? The one supplied with the GPS board is only 15 cm long. I have seen this in one of Your older posts, but cant seem to find it now...
thnx
Panino
edit:
is it this one?
http://store.diydrones.com/DF13_6_Position_Connector_25_cm_p/ca-0001-34.htm

Bluerex

A question out of curiosity, I originally mounted my GPS antenna on an aluminium bracket so as to give me the 10cm from the GPS board (as shown in the manual), however I see references to mounting the antenna on one of the copter's arms (and then maybe using my mast to mount the magnetometer).... What is "best practice" here?

Charles

S11D336B

George - Hoverfly
I typically mount my GPS antenna midway on one of the arms. Your compass really should go on the mast and the arm is a reasonable place to put the GPS antenna.

A question out of curiosity, I originally mounted my GPS antenna on an aluminium bracket so as to give me the 10cm from the GPS board (as shown in the manual), however I see references to mounting the antenna on one of the copter's arms (and then maybe using my mast to mount the magnetometer).... What is "best practice" here?

Charles

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
The compass should really go on the mast ???? Isn't it built into the GPS board? Did the external mag get released already?

JZSlenker

Yeah, I can blow that up.
Yes, the external mag is out. Read the release notes. I just bought two of them. Spark fun only has 48 in stock. Get them quick.