Hoverfly Hoverfly GPS

I have to report that I turned on the GPS tonight for the first time in a while. ( a couple weeks ago I did as well and it immediately shot away from me) Would you believe it held position instead of flying off like it lives in the next town over! Also, the heading held solid as well. No more unexpected yaw!!!

What I did: I zip tied +/- wires together where I could not twist (mainly the power wires from esc to plug-in, I twisted the battery wires when I installed them, twisted the esc wires even more than I had before and I changed the last few fasteners from steel to nylon. Lastly, re-calibrated the GPS (MAG?). I only tested for a few seconds and it seem to hold it's position fairly well, although I did not try to give it input so it would have been just really well tuned with no wind. The return to home feature didn't seem to work, but I only gave it one shot. Just the fact that it did not wander off was a major step forward. I plan to go to an open area tomorrow to test the features better. I will report back again.

Photronix

Pilot
Thats great to hear!

I was at the Hodges Hobby All Electric Fly In this past weekend. Unfortunately, for all of the DJI enthusiasts there was a steady 15 mph wind...I was the only one flying.

When I engaged Position Hold it held in the wind (on a Droidworx CX-4) to within a few feet even during gusts. If does move over about 20 feet when first engaged (something we will be looking into) but once it found its balance point (between the wind and leveling) it held very well. Just thought I would report in too. We test in wind of course but I hadn't had a chance to try it in this much wind in awhile.

Got to test again today. I jumped the gun. Turns our the wire was not plugged in for GPS so did not actually turn on. NO wonder it didn't head off course yesterday!. So, today I plugged it in and tested it. While it did not go rocketing off into the unknown, it did make a smooth flying octo into a wobbly/jerky mess. It was constantly hunting for the position to hold. It drifted various directions within a 30 foot radius. Not much wind today, but a light breeze. Return to home worked, but not smooth at all. I am guessing this has to do with the AL gain? It flies fine when just in AL without GPS though. Any suggestions? Oh, the Octo Yaw was not effected, so all is fine there. Not impressive, but leaps and bounds better than is was. It might save my @$$ but not in a pretty way.

Bluerex

Hi Guys,
I am just starting to get my HFP + GPS installed on a FlameWheel Hex frame. I have a successful FlameWheel quad with Naza + GPS running but wanted something a little larger/smoother for AP work.
I have had a couple of trial "hops" with the hex but decided to wait for the GPS before getting too carried away.... GPS arrived yesterday :)
BUT (and I am sure I must have missed this somewhere) the GPS board differs from the manual in that it appears to have two connections for the MediaTek module not one (and it came with two cables). I assume I am being a dumb-*** but can someone tell me where to put my antenna?

Charles - sunny Canberra, Australia

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Bluerex, I had the same question. The mediatek goes on the right port. It actually says mediatek on it if you look closely. Let us know how it performs once you get her up. Make sure to do ALL of the calibrations and test the compass as it says in the instructions. And double check all your switches operate all of the appropriate boxes in the software.

Bluerex

Thanks Stacky, it's HoverflyGPSUsersGuideV2 that shows only one connector... I'll do some more digging :frog:

C

Bluerex

Attachments

• GPS.jpg
    GPS.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 283
Last edited by a moderator:

yeehaanow

Just a little note of caution.
I had this experience a week ago at a site where I was getting "power surges" and a corresponding un-commanded yaw of about 30-60 degrees. It would happen at take-off and also during flight, only affecting yaw.

I sent a video to HF techs and after going through the usual checks, they thought it might be the mag compass. I LOVE that I could call someone and have a response right away!
I went home and tested and everything was fine (except for the earthquake that struck during my test flight! LOL).

The next day I flew all morning with no issues, then went back to that same spot from the day before. Sure enough, the problems came back.
Since the tech told me that the compass is ON when you use AL mode with the GPS board installed, I tried manual mode. Problems went away.
I'm guessing it was because I was about 100 ft from a large iron foot-bridge, it was causing compass errors.

It would be nice to have the option to use the mag compass in AL or not. I was able to do the flight in manual, but prefer to fly using AL, and the only way to accomplish this would be to unplug the gps board.

So I'm hoping for an external mag too, but I'm not so sure that would cure the issues I was having.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
It would be nice to have the option to use the mag compass in AL or not. I was able to do the flight in manual, but prefer to fly using AL, and the only way to accomplish this would be to unplug the gps board..

I second this and motion it to the floor for a vote.

All those in favor?

almost forgot a smiley........ :)

Just a little note of caution.
I had this experience a week ago at a site where I was getting "power surges" and a corresponding un-commanded yaw of about 30-60 degrees. It would happen at take-off and also during flight, only affecting yaw.

OK. Note taken. GPS Board is going back to the shelf unless I am testing.

All those in favor?
Aye

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I have my GPS board installed and I dont have ANY erratic behavior flying my heli in AL or manual mode. But the GPS is still not locking onto a position good enough to be used on a set. I only keep the GPS attached because it will give me the RTH feature if I really needed it. It's close guys, dont give up!

workshop

:)

I had to read that three times before I got it....

You're right BTW about the fasteners. There is no reason (other than weight) people should be swapping out stainless for plastic or aluminum because the magnetometer isn't working.

George, Will the external magnetometer feature require a new GPS board or hardware modification?

Jeff

Aerovideo

So I purchased a GPS unit back when they were first available and have just recently had the opportunity to really try out the features. Here's what I found for my particular setup.

When I activate position hold it actually wanders around for a bit then finally settles into a spot about 20 feet away from the original activation point. Once it settles into the spot then it does a pretty good job at holding position, even with some breeze. Gusts proved difficult for it though.

Return to home was tough to judge as I was too scared to fly too far away LOS... hehe. Being more of an FPV pilot myself LOS and orientation at distance scares me. But RTH did seem to work but again it returned to the settled in point not the original activation point.

While the GPS is pretty cool and has a lot of possibilities, I'm starting to think I may never really use them. I may be better off with another pro board instead :)

It will be interesting to see the changes George and team have come up with that he mentions above. Now that I've had a chance to try the GPS features I'll have a frame of reference for comparison.

ed.ge

:)

George, Will the external magnetometer feature require a new GPS board or hardware modification?

Jeff

So, any ETA? It's really been a long time since having my GPS and not using it. Can't wait to finally trust it with my camera equipment!
By the way (I might just didn't catch up) - is there a "home-arrow" planned for FPV flying?

Thank you

Otherwise -> I still get the best video results with HFP. No comparison there. Period.