Hoverfly Hoverfly esc compatibility

Bought the hoverfly pro today as well as the exceed proton 30 amp esc's

I googled a bit before doing the esc's, is this going to be a decent combo?

Photronix

Pilot
Any PWM standard ESC will work in terms of controlling the motors. HOWEVER, some ESC respond faster than others. As an example, Castle Creations older than 4.01 firmware was designed for aircraft and Helis and they do a lot of signal checking and averaging (as well as throttle curve smoothing...but you can turn this off). As a result, the Castle ESCs (older firmware) could not command the motors to change speed as fast the flight controllers (yes all of them not just Hoverfly) were requiring for stable flight. The new Castle firmware 4.01 (which I worked a bit with them to measure response times) works great.

The only way to know for sure is to measure the response times which I can do. I believe I have an Exceed so I will try to measure it next week.

In general the Multi-rotor community has in general agreed that Turnigy, Castle, 400Hz Maytech, and ESCs flashed with Simonk firmware work well.

so i recalibrated al the esc's and still have to re solder the power dist board, however last time i tried this the arming of the hoverfly is very weird not a left and right movement its a up down movement and then it arms . The motors will only power up together to one quarter speed. something im missing? ill post up a video soon with tech support with hoverfly and here.??? kinda in the dark at this point to what to do .

Last edited by a moderator:

Stacky

Make sure you have the props off when testing but Im sure you are doing that already.
What do you see on the Hoverfly setup software in terms of the sliders moving as you move your radio sticks?

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Still no luck? man, you got me worried now. Maybe you got some funky esc's. Call Hoverfly. They have answered every time I have called them so far.

Hope you get up and flying soon. Feel free to call me if you think I can help.

Naa, no worries yuri i have been on a four day video shoot with the ad agency Noise. Put like ten minutes into it. I did check two esc's and they were both correct, so next is post up a video of it when i get a second. Ill get it.. It might be those esc's... Im not worried at all

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
one thing i dont like as I assemble my hovefly pro is that they want you to use only 1 BEC input from the ESC's. So if that 1 bec fails from 1 of my 8 esc's the whole thing is going to crash.

Is it better to just use a separate BEC than rely on 1 of the ESC's built in BEC's?

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
the power input to the pro is from the power harness. i didn't see anywhere in the manuals where they wanted you to pull the reds from the ESC servo/control lines

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Looking online it says specifically in to ONLY USE 1 BEC FROM YOUR ESC'S. I'll dig it up.

Denny, how does multiple grounds make any difference? lets speak logically here. If you add multiple BEC's with the same voltage, the voltage will be the same right? They are only drawing what they need so having more amps on tap wont hurt anything, right? And the grounds and positives are all on a common tap on the board. Maybe the voltage does multiply and i just dont see how.

Regardless, I dont like relying on a chinese esc to keep smooth power going to my brain.

Photronix

Pilot
one thing i dont like as I assemble my hovefly pro is that they want you to use only 1 BEC input from the ESC's. So if that 1 bec fails from 1 of my 8 esc's the whole thing is going to crash.

Is it better to just use a separate BEC than rely on 1 of the ESC's built in BEC's?

Most ESCs should have an internal protection diode on the BEC so connecting them all to the PRO is not a problem. I personally never disconnect all but 1 power lead. However, some users in the past believed it might be a problem. So the manual suggests that all but one power lead be disconnected.

You can leave them connected and try it. Feel the ESCs and see if they are warm and watch to see if there are any problems in flight. I have thousands of flights with Turnigy and Castle Creations ESCs and I never remove the power/BEC connections.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Thanks. I am using 40amp Turnigy plush escs's. It would seem the bec's are in parallel and not in series so there shouldnt be too high a risk. I am a little confused though as there is a separate power terminal for the FC. Not sure why the board wouldnt just take power from the esc's.

From the horse's mouth. This really confuses me as they say anything over 6volts will fry the FC. but they show raw power fromt he battery powering the FC. WTF?

View attachment 4709

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-06-13 at 10.34.44 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2012-06-13 at 10.34.44 PM.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 215
Last edited by a moderator: