Gaui GAUI 500X - how did you do it?

U

usmc5811

Bought this from an RC show in Long Beach yesterday. And after 5 hours of going back and forth with a rather awful assembly manual, I got to say this is the worst experience I've had with assembling anything. I've had a better time with IKEA furniture.

The manual is not linear, goes back and forth between steps and is so clunky I got totally stumped at the system platform step.

Here is what I am hoping to get help with:

How do I connect the battery to the quad? There are 2 wires per motor; 1 female and 1 male for a total of 8 wires. My battery (see pic where I stuck a red 4-female banana connector in it) only has a yellow 2-female connector. WTF over?

For $500 I expected much better documentation. Instead I am looking at documentation that was put together for a toy at Walmart.

Yup, I am new to all of this but really, after several hours of being frustrated, irritated and tired, I realized it should not be this hard. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

View attachment 4082

Attachments

• GAUI500X to Aurora 9.jpg
    GAUI500X to Aurora 9.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 261
Last edited:

Lifter

Bought this from an RC show in Long Beach yesterday. And after 5 hours of going back and forth with a rather awful assembly manual, I got to say this is the worst experience I've had with assembling anything. I've had a better time with IKEA furniture.

The manual is not linear, goes back and forth between steps and is so clunky I got totally stumped at the system platform step.

Here is what I am hoping to get help with:

How do I connect the battery to the quad? There are 2 wires per motor; 1 female and 1 male for a total of 8 wires. My battery (see pic where I stuck a red 4-female banana connector in it) only has a yellow 2-female connector. WTF over?

For $500 I expected much better documentation. Instead I am looking at documentation that was put together for a toy at Walmart.

Yup, I am new to all of this but really, after several hours of being frustrated, irritated and tired, I realized it should not be this hard. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

View attachment 5621

You have to wire up the ESC's then the battery connects to them.
Good luck

U

usmc5811

Probably my fault for not mentioning, I am new to all this. So when someone replies, "You have to wire up the ESC's then the battery connects to them. Good luck" all I think is "Huh?" Thanks for the reply though.

Here is what I found on my own just in case someone else with my experience level reads this thread:

For the GAUI 500X, a battery like this one fits without cutting and soldering. Better to use the right battery than the banana connector type I show in the photo.

Lifter

Probably my fault for not mentioning, I am new to all this. So when someone replies, "You have to wire up the ESC's then the battery connects to them. Good luck" all I think is "Huh?" Thanks for the reply though.

Here is what I found on my own just in case someone else with my experience level reads this thread:

For the GAUI 500X, a battery like this one fits without cutting and soldering. Better to use the right battery than the banana connector type I show in the photo.

Have you had any RC experience at all ?
If not it sure can be a daunting task and a steep learning curve.
I just had a look at the Gaui 500 build manual and starting on page 3 bottom pic then page 4,5,6 gives you the schematic for the wiring hookup with pics.
Im not sure as to your manual as I transplanted all the electronics from a 330 Gaui to the 500 upgrade kit using the supplied 500 manual, but I would assume the manual to be the same.
Have a look at Post #4 there are a couple of Pics which may help. http://www.multirotorforums.com/showthread.php?2823-Camera-mount-and-landing-gear-for-Gaui-500x
Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:

U

usmc5811

In the end I just needed help with the battery connection. Again my fault for not being clear. And I have never flown a quad. A couple heli's and cars.

I got the qaud framing and wiring figured out on my own, thanks, but the battery was causing me the most grief, probably because the person who sold me the package just wanted a quick sale or wrongly thought I had flown a Gaui 500x before. Not sure what part of our brief conversation gave him that impression because I asked a lot of stupid questions about the model. Obviously not the right ones.

Anyhow, if you look at my photo, the battery has a yellow 2-female connector - no way the supplied Gaui ESC 4-pin connectors (red & black) will fit side-by-side into that battery connector. So I got to the point in the build where to connect the battery and thought, WTF over! This will never fit. After hours online asking the same question over and over; "Where can I buy a battery that will natively fit this quad" I found several shops online that sell the right ones (HobbyPartz). No cutting wires or soldering required. If I was sold one of these batteries with the Quad, I probably would not have posted a question online for weeks.

So there you have it. My fault for not being clear about my experience level and my fault not doing more research about batteries and all the other components before letting someone sell me the wrong battery.

Once I get the motors running and probably after I crash the first time I will be back with more questions :)

Lifter

In the end I just needed help with the battery connection. Again my fault for not being clear. And I have never flown a quad. A couple heli's and cars.

I got the qaud framing and wiring figured out on my own, thanks, but the battery was causing me the most grief, probably because the person who sold me the package just wanted a quick sale or wrongly thought I had flown a Gaui 500x before. Not sure what part of our brief conversation gave him that impression because I asked a lot of stupid questions about the model. Obviously not the right ones.

Anyhow, if you look at my photo, the battery has a yellow 2-female connector - no way the supplied Gaui ESC 4-pin connectors (red & black) will fit side-by-side into that battery connector. So I got to the point in the build where to connect the battery and thought, WTF over! This will never fit. After hours online asking the same question over and over; "Where can I buy a battery that will natively fit this quad" I found several shops online that sell the right ones (HobbyPartz). No cutting wires or soldering required. If I was sold one of these batteries with the Quad, I probably would not have posted a question online for weeks.

So there you have it. My fault for not being clear about my experience level and my fault not doing more research about batteries and all the other components before letting someone sell me the wrong battery.

Once I get the motors running and probably after I crash the first time I will be back with more questions :)

Good, glad you got that cleared up, the 4 connectors from the ESC's, 8 wires in total, 4 Red, 4 Black were soldered to the plus and Minus terminals of the Deans connector then plugged into the battery.
You just chop off the plug at the battery side and fit your own to suit - however your 500 may have had different connectors to my transplant job.
you can see it in the link above, Pic #4.
Cheers

U

usmc5811

Lifter thanks. I finally got this thing working in the sense the props are turning. However what is supposed to be the front, #1 & #4 motors, is going backwards when I push the stick forward - towards the top of the transmitter. So I flipped the orientation of the GU-344 per some post I saw last week, but the quad still goes backwards. Any suggestions?

Lifter

Lifter thanks. I finally got this thing working in the sense the props are turning. However what is supposed to be the front, #1 & #4 motors, is going backwards when I push the stick forward - towards the top of the transmitter. So I flipped the orientation of the GU-344 per some post I saw last week, but the quad still goes backwards. Any suggestions?

To reverse the motor rotation - on motors 1 & 4, unplug and swap any one of the 3 wires going between the ESC and the motor - that will reverse rotation.
So if you have red - red, Black - black, yellow - yellow, just put a red into black and the black into red.
And put the Gu-344 back to its original position as per the manual. You should test the motor rotation without the props on as you can do yourself some damage -

Hey USMC5811 - I just reread your post - are the Props running backwards or do you mean the Quad is coming back towards you ???
Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:

U

usmc5811

Just realized I never replied - sorry, I did finally get the quad flying as should be. Now I am working on getting the NAZA FC to work properly. And the beat goes on...

Thanks for your help!