Hoverfly Horizon off level after curved turns/banked turns

Stacky

Hi Guys, Im still getting the horizon going off level after curved turns where i am using yaw as well as rudder control to make arc shaped turns. The gimbal on the roll axis will take a while to come back to level after these turns. Pete dropped by today and his quad was doing the same thing. ANy chance you can do a couple of test flights with the HFP and check how your roll axis works and how quickly it comes back to level after wide curved turns?
Thanks

edykosta

im having the same issue....flying on cs 6 with 3 axis gimbal....
sometimes even if i just roll...it begins to compensate but does not come back to level...but as soon as i land...roll magically comes back.
however the problem does seem to be isolated only when im rolling left and come back to level...if standing in front of the gimbal the right side is high and left side is low....and now the line that seems to be used in every thread.... I CANT FIGURE IT OUT ! ... one thing i do have to say though... hoverfly does care about the customer.

Stacky

Well its only just Monday in the US and I did ask it on Friday evening so I am not expecting any thoughts in a hurry at this point.

Lanzar

Guys,

This is common problem with all stabilization out there. So dont blame the guys who are working hard to get this fixed.
THis is the problem with acceleration with tilt, roll and pan corection. I belive there is a solution for this just around the corner.

Stacky

Are you referring to the gimbal board?. Im just wondering about the HFP board.

Do you think this is a common problem with all stabilization systems?

Guys,

This is common problem with all stabilization out there. So dont blame the guys who are working hard to get this fixed.
THis is the problem with acceleration with tilt, roll and pan corection. I belive there is a solution for this just around the corner.

S11D336B

George - Hoverfly
You are using the camera compensation of the HoverflyPro?

Hi Guys, Im still getting the horizon going off level after curved turns where i am using yaw as well as rudder control to make arc shaped turns. The gimbal on the roll axis will take a while to come back to level after these turns. Pete dropped by today and his quad was doing the same thing. ANy chance you can do a couple of test flights with the HFP and check how your roll axis works and how quickly it comes back to level after wide curved turns?
Thanks

edykosta

Im talking about the hf gimbal controller...when in the air I start to bank to test but sometimes it wont come back to horizon..this only happens when copter is on and in the air...when I bech test all seems fine.. I have the gimbal controller mounted on a solid peice of plastic... Any ideas??

Stacky

Yes, George, Im using the HFP gimbal controls as is Pete. I havent yet graduated to the HF gimbal board. Im smack bang in the middle of an excessively busy period of work so will bug you about this in 3 or 4 weeks so dont worry about my part of this for now. I will try and sort out some video showing what I mean then.

Cheers Mike

S11D336B

George - Hoverfly
Thanks Mike.

Yes, George, Im using the HFP gimbal controls as is Pete. I havent yet graduated to the HF gimbal board. Im smack bang in the middle of an excessively busy period of work so will bug you about this in 3 or 4 weeks so dont worry about my part of this for now. I will try and sort out some video showing what I mean then.

Cheers Mike

S11D336B

George - Hoverfly
I believe Dan is working on this issue. I would start with checking your temperature compensation. Use a hair dryer to create a temperature difference and make 100% sure that the HoverflyGIMBAL doesn't move at all during this process.

Im talking about the hf gimbal controller...when in the air I start to bank to test but sometimes it wont come back to horizon..this only happens when copter is on and in the air...when I bech test all seems fine.. I have the gimbal controller mounted on a solid peice of plastic... Any ideas??

pmacafee

I will be using the HF Gimbal on a boat and will be experiencing some really varied ambient temeratures. Does it make sense to make a box for the board to insulate it from temperature extremes caused by wind and very hot/cold days?

pmacafee

I will be using the HF Gimbal on a boat and will be experiencing some really varied ambient temeratures. Does it make sense to make a box for the board to insulate it from temperature extremes caused by wind and very hot/cold days?

Just came across a product called HotHands. It is a chemical hand warmer activated by air and sold in a sealed foil package. It is supposed to last up to 10 hours and is about the same size as the HF Gimbal.
View attachment 6969

Attachments

• Warmer.jpg
    Warmer.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 297

yeehaanow

I use those for my hands all the time in cold weather, but be careful because they do contain iron oxide. Not saying it would spill out or cause any issues.

pmacafee

Why would you want to heat your board? :cold:

There seems to be a consensus that the pan drift problem might stem from temperature change. Users report no problem setting up and the stabilization works fine before flight but pan drift occurs during flight. Most of the mounts seem to be in open air and exposed to all the elements plus possilbe prop wash. I thought of putting my board in an enclosure and putting a warmer next to or in the enclosure.

jes1111

I thought we were talking about the roll axis and its tendency to be get biased by linear accelerations of the airframe (like banked turns and rapid panning). This is, I believe, a mathematical problem based on the fact that the system can't distinguish between gravity and other accelerations when in the air (which is why it doesn't occur on the bench).

pmacafee

I thought we were talking about the roll axis and its tendency to be get biased by linear accelerations of the airframe (like banked turns and rapid panning). This is, I believe, a mathematical problem based on the fact that the system can't distinguish between gravity and other accelerations when in the air (which is why it doesn't occur on the bench).

I have missed this one. This is bad news for me as the boat will be making mostly banked turns and will be rapidly panning. Bummer, got a couple of $k already invested.