Hoverfly Horizon off level after curved turns/banked turns

Efliernz

Pete
Test before you go.

Stacky and I just have occasions when the gimbal rolls when we are yaw'ing. It used to be really bad on V3 firmware and is much better now - but it still happens. Our weather has been crappy for weeks (spring westerly winds) so we haven't had a chance to fly. As for temperature fluctuations... our temperatures are pretty stable with outside temp being 15-25 deg C most of the time - the same temp in the shed where the multi lives.

Pete

jes1111

I have missed this one. This is bad news for me as the boat will be making mostly banked turns and will be rapidly panning. Bummer, got a couple of $k already invested.
All is not lost - different tuning seems to make a big difference to this issue. It's all in the math.

I've heard it suggested (but have no way to confirm it myself) that a simple complementary filter (rather than an EKF) may be better at keeping this bias out of the attitude estimate (from reading about a ball-balancing robot).

S11D336B

George - Hoverfly
We have experimented with all of these things and it's way more complicated than a simple complimentary filter. It may work well for a balancing robot, but a flying machine is a totally different animal.

If you guys can fill out a support ticket with a video of this happening, it would help us to address the issue.

All is not lost - different tuning seems to make a big difference to this issue. It's all in the math.

I've heard it suggested (but have no way to confirm it myself) that a simple complementary filter (rather than an EKF) may be better at keeping this bias out of the attitude estimate (from reading about a ball-balancing robot).

pmacafee

I am new to this, can you describe what a filter is and where it is installed?

jes1111

I am new to this, can you describe what a filter is and where it is installed?
Sorry - pmacafee - it's to do with the mathematics that goes on inside the controller - the gyros, accelerometers and so on each supply their data but you then have to "beat it up" with some heavy-duty maths to arrive at an "attitude estimate", i.e. the estimated attitude/angle of the camera relative to the ground. Mix in your manual input from the sticks (if you have tilt connected, for example) and that's the "solution" that gets sent to the servos to keep the gimbal level. Getting the maths "right" is a) not simple and b) critical to the accuracy and freedom from bias. I'm sure this will get sorted. The chaps at Hoverfly know their onions ;)