Hi, got the multicopter bug here in Southern CA

kloner

Aerial DP
theres piles of guys from that area in a private group on facebook called so cal fpv aviators.... they don't all fpv and there meeting up all the time. i went to one big meet at Trona with em. They all own multis, few have fixed wing

HyLyfe

Hey ALL! Also new to the quad world and am leaning and absorbing like a sponge. I live in Eastvale by way of Chino Hills. Started off with the Parrot and took baby steps from a Walkera Qr X350 and quickly jumped to the ZMR250 mini. I think I'm going to stay with the 250 class for a while since it's so raw and development is climbing to new heights. I've been flying line of sight but always wanted to jump to FPV. Last month I was gonna drop cash for the sky zone but I ran into local drone guys who told me about the headplay. I was so impressed with the youtube vids that I had to pre-order one. So until they are released on April 29th, I'll be line of site til then. Let me know if you guys wanna meet up for "rare air". I would like to meet my fellow enthusiast.

HyLyfe!!

mdntblu

Hows it going HyLyfe. We can meet up, I've always wanted to see a 250 size class. I am at Crossroads Church and School's mostly everyday if you know where that is. Not sure if you can meet up during the weekdays due to your work schedule but let me know. My weekends are hard because I have little ones.

HyLyfe

Hey mdntblu! The days are getting longer so I may be able to pull a eve session with you. Im really trying to get my orientation down but I know I'm real good at crashing the 250. I will let you know soon enough I just need to get my shipment in of new props.

HyLyfe

Hi mdntblu! Not sure where Crossroads Church is at but Ill look and see if I can do a weekday eve session.

Raldan

Hi guys. I'm also building my first zmr250. I'm in Corona near you mdntblu, been busy with other things for a while. Let's see if we can all get together in corona soon with HyLyfe and compare notes. Also, a good fpv group called SoCal FPV Aviators on Facebook has a lot of experienced fpv pilots/ builders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey guys, Im also in Corona (border of Norco and Corona). I just got the Multi bug, I am trying to decide between a quad or a hex. I am not too sure on the size and I have nearly zero multi experience. I got a little Estes Proto-X for christmas and a gag gift, little did they know or maybe that was the gag? I was thinking of the Hobby People F450 or F600, but I was told to check out the Apollo and the ZMR250(quad) and the RD290(hex). I didn't realize there were so many options for platforms and don't get me started on the electronics. I do like the idea of a bigger platform for ease of seeing it. If anyone would be willing to show a new kid on the block the ropes that would be super awesome. Also if you have the ability for a biddy box for "demo" flights that would be even cooler. Thanks for reading my post. Hope to learn a lot from you guys.

mdntblu

Hey guys, Im also in Corona (border of Norco and Corona). I just got the Multi bug, I am trying to decide between a quad or a hex. I am not too sure on the size and I have nearly zero multi experience. I got a little Estes Proto-X for christmas and a gag gift, little did they know or maybe that was the gag? I was thinking of the Hobby People F450 or F600, but I was told to check out the Apollo and the ZMR250(quad) and the RD290(hex). I didn't realize there were so many options for platforms and don't get me started on the electronics. I do like the idea of a bigger platform for ease of seeing it. If anyone would be willing to show a new kid on the block the ropes that would be super awesome. Also if you have the ability for a biddy box for "demo" flights that would be even cooler. Thanks for reading my post. Hope to learn a lot from you guys.
There isn't much difference in being able to see the quad between those sizes. I like big as well but I stuck with smaller. I'm currently flying a 3DR Iris+ now with long range FPV. It's pretty fun.

Raldan

I started with a 350QX and started building after that. The blade 350 is a good place to start but the Green safe mode, while easy, slows your progress in learning to control a multirotor. I'm interested in getting together at a MR friendly location. Suggestions?

Raldan,

I would be up for trying to get together at Crossroads Curch, someone else mentioned it in this thread. Lets see if we can schedule something for later in June?

I decided to go with a Dromeda Ominus FPV, it's a fun little guy. I would not get the fpv again. The camera is real shakey and awkard on the unit but other than that it's a great little bird, roughly a 230 frame.

Raldan

If mdntblu is availabile this or one of the following Friday's, that could work. He's at Crossroads and I don't want to just show up there without them knowing. Mdntblu?

RikMac

Hi all!
What a great group of people who are looking for fun times with our "new" hobby. As a "newby" as of late 2014, I have enjoyed all sorts of forums related to quads of all kinds. I have a Blade 350QX2, Spektrum DX6i, shielded Mobius camera, Blade GB200 gimbal, transmitter, Skyzone goggles, FoxtechFPV RC800screen system. Initially, my 1st quad was a Blade 350QX. After a few flights (without any FPV setup) I had a 'fly-a-way'. Long story short…I was able to get a free upgrade to a Blade 250QX2. However that almost became another 'fly-a-way' but was saved by getting caught up in a high tree. I contacted Horizon Hobby and they replaced the quad AND Spektrum controller. My guess was the controller that was causing the problem! Why were both quads 'fly-a-way' problems with me using the same controller? Horizon never gave me the possible answer. I was just thankful that I at least had my initial investment in hand.

Upon starting to set up my system for FPV (that's First Person View) I could not get the quad to contact with GPS, and get a solid green light to start. I started investigating possible reasons and concluded that signals from either the transmitter and/or initial unshielded Mobius camera was preventing the GPS antenna system from locking in. For you other 'newbees' that is a MUST!

With a long investigative process by checking other forums, I concluded that most likely the problem was as follows: Signal interference with GPS antenna system to GPS satellites caused by any or all of; unshielded video transmitter, unshielded Mobius camera, bad internal GPS antenna and GPS unit position(s).
I shielded the transmitter, replaced the Mobius with a shielded one, took the quad apart and lined the bottom inside with aluminum tape, and repositioned the GPS antenna and unit from a vertical position on the battery cage back up to the original (in previous Blade 350QX system) on a horizontal position on top of the battery cage.

Unfortunately folks, as of October '15, that's as far as I have gotten. I have had cataract surgery on both eyes and major shoulder surgery (Rotator Cuff) on one shoulder. That has put me out of commission for the balance of this year until next Spring. I will definitely followup next Spring in this forum with results of my work.

BTW… last year, I had excellent videos (not FPV yet) with my new Mobius Action camera! As good as any GoPro or other similar cameras! At a price of less than $80 compared to GoPros at $400+! However, that was with my original unshielded Mobius with standard (not wide angle) lens. Since then, I purchased (about $90) the shielded Mobius version. That also, takes great (not FPVyet) videos!

As for mounting the Mobius on the GB200 gimbal. I adapted the gimbal to accept the Mobius (vis-a-vi GoPro). That required a little work on the camera cage and minor balancing position and weights to compensate change from GoPro to Mobius. That has worked very well without any motion or 'jello' problems. The only negative is that my Spektrum DX6i controller is only a 6 channel unit, prventing me from being able to use the final position (angle up and down) of the gimbal. I would have had to purchase a more expensive $$ higher channel controller.

So… thanks for the 'Soap Box'! I look forward to further info, problems, solutions and general chit-chat in this forum!

RikMac