Here Come The Section 333 Exemption Petitions

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
So what will this mean for the rest of us?
I have well over 400 hours of flight time, how do I prove it?
I have been prolific on RC websites for years, have tons of videos out.
There are so many regulations listed.. does anyone have the short list of stuff I would need to do to be legal when and if this becomes a reality?!

kloner

Aerial DP
the ruling is going to be announced thursday

I have no idea sleepy, it's gonna be a year or two till the actual "rules" are decided on, guess you just roll on like you've been. you would want to log your flight time to prove it using a pilot log book, there $10 from most pilot shops and you would want to take a ground school unless you already understand how and what goes into one. . the companies with 333 exemptions will show the faa what this is about, the failure rates on equipment and to show them what does and does not work.... in controlled environments

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
OK... that's GOOD info.
Getting a book now. Can I back log flights that I can prove with video and reciepts?
And yea I'm looking into ground school. I actually think that is a good idea.

kloner

Aerial DP
with a ground school cert you will be hireable as a ground crew for any of those companies that get exemption....

i'm told nobody ever questions a pilot logbook but you want to be as accurate as possible..... I started logging myself back in november of last year and just from then to know i'm well over 200 hours... I had never heard what they showed in that link before till now regarding flight time and positions, i think that was in somebody petition not from the faa

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
So you really think a pilots license will be required to pilot?
That makes no sense what so ever... and really makes me mad.

kloner

Aerial DP
we will all know thursday... the final ruling in 2015-2016 may require a commercial license, it might not need any license, but one thing i can garuntee, it will take some sort of certification to go to the faa with a 333 request because they want to learn from us and without that education, they would have a heck of a time understanding rc pilot vocabulary

SamaraMedia

I had to look twice when I went to your site last week and saw your portrait. Wondered if you had a stand-in for the shot since "that" guy didn't look like the same one flying in the wind tunnel ;)

Hope your trip to Mexico City went well.

SamaraMedia

It's all about public perception. I can remember when your profile listed you as a "dirtbag" and now you're an Aerial DP. As much as you may still be a "dirtbag" deep down, when you walk into the house where the FAA and the big boys play you sometimes have to play the part, and appearance plays a large role in whether they will take you seriously.

When work forced me to get a Twitter account I signed up as "AngryJohnnie" because I didn't want to be a part of the social media movement, more of a private type, but as I've become aware of the power it can wield I have to be more concerned with the "message" I put out there both professionally and personally. I'm not an angry person and it is viewed as a joke around work but that can be detrimental in the long haul if you're trying to be serious or passionate about something so I've opened (somewhat reluctantly) a Twitter account for my business @SamaraMedia1 to better reflect a professional appearance since I didn't want @AngyJohnnie to be the voice of my opinions on the use of UAV's. I still want to keep a low profile on what I would like to do in the future but anytime you expose yourself in a post directed at the FAA, somebody could be watching (paranoid I guess), and it could come back to bite you.

If some of the rules suggested in the report become reality I'm not sure I can afford to stay in this industry and think about making a career change but I'm glad that people like yourself have stepped up and provided the FAA with a responsible example of what could be possible in the near future.

John

P.S. - AngryJohnnie came from the title of a song by the band POE...

kloner

Aerial DP
A lot of these companies will be hiring pilots, ground crews, safety officers and they all still take you into the "drone lifestyle" IMO by the time they release the final rules it'll be pretty bland and vague to get in, but till then it'll be a lot of work to get us all there. Having the general skill set of how an operation works and how things get fixed, charged, are done safely is a huge skill set that's not very common..... just cause a guy can fly a phantom doesn't give him the knowledge it takes or the kinds of folks were looking to hire... i need the best of the best and since it's "setlife" were all mobile and living in a certain area doesn't give a guy much advantage/disadvantage. I'm hiring a few pilots that i've met here from all around the country

Old Man

So, would 2000 logged UAV hours, 800 full scale, and a commercial ticket help one get in anywhere?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk