HELP Flyaway

bnt276

Hi folks. Hope someone can help.

NAZA-M 450 with graupner 9" props... etc.

I set up the new firmware and double checked everything to see if the setting from my V1 got carried over...

I go to the yard and everything seemed fine but... after I waited for the warm up process... I tried a hover and all was fine about 2-3 feet up and it just dropped.

I powered down and waited again for the warm up and all is fine now so I did some forward flight and all is good.

I decided to try out my new 4S Pulse 3300Mah 35C and when I spooled up with the new take off mode the thing went straight up like a rocket!!!
I hit the power off and it landed in front of me. One prop broke... soft grass. :)

I did not have the voltage VU turned on in the software so there was no way for the NAZA to detect it I guess... but I did have the wire connected.

The only thing I can think of is the new firmware enabled the voltage monitoring but I doubt it.

Anyone?

Flies great on my 3S batteries.

THANKS

Which NAZA Assistant and firmware versions are you using?
What RC radio system are you using?
With some additional info some here should be able to help you out.

In the meantime try not to fly and if you do, pick a remote spot away from cars, property, people, trees and water.:dread:
And don't lose hope!

I set up the new firmware and double checked everything to see if the setting from my V1 got carried over...

I go to the yard and everything seemed fine but... after I waited for the warm up process... I tried a hover and all was fine about 2-3 feet up and it just dropped.

I powered down and waited again for the warm up and all is fine now so I did some forward flight and all is good.

I decided to try out my new 4S Pulse 3300Mah 35C and when I spooled up with the new take off mode the thing went straight up like a rocket!!!
I hit the power off and it landed in front of me. One prop broke... soft grass. :)

I did not have the voltage VU turned on in the software so there was no way for the NAZA to detect it I guess... but I did have the wire connected.

The only thing I can think of is the new firmware enabled the voltage monitoring but I doubt it.

Anyone?

THANKS

bnt276

Which NAZA Assistant and firmware versions are you using?
What RC radio system are you using?
With some additional info some here should be able to help you out.

In the meantime try not to fly and if you do, pick a remote spot away from cars, property, people, trees and water.:dread:
And don't lose hope!

Thanks Peter, it's a spektrum DX8 set up in Acro mode along with ar8000 with a remote satellite for added security.

Rctimer HP 2212 1000Kv Motors
Detrum 18A ESC 2-4 Cell
Graupner 9"props
Firmware is the new 3.1 setup via the new latest Assistant software

X468 2 Axis Gimbal with Hitec HS65MG servos.

Brent

Last edited by a moderator:

There are many here using Spectrum and they should be able to help. As for me.... I use Futaba but it is very possible to configure your RC Tx to make alternate NAZA or WKM controls misbehave.
Pay very close attention to wrong MR behaviour while it is still safely on your work bench and connected to NAZA or WKM Assistant software.

Thanks Peter, it's a spektrum DX8 set up in Acro mode along with ar8000 with a remote satellite for added security.

Rctimer HP 2212 1000Kv Motors
Detrum 18A ESC 2-4 Cell
Graupner 9"props
Firmware is the new 3.1 setup via the new latest Assistant software

X468 2 Axis Gimbal with Hitec HS65MG servos.

Brent

bnt276

Thanks,

I just stepped down a prop size and it still seems like excessive power.

Maybe time for a reset of the firmware.

One thing I did notice and I'm unsure if anyone else tried this...
I set up the voltage section for 4S and still got excessive power.

Thanks

tamulmol

After the update Mine doesn't stop motors even after I landed, I recalibrated my tx(not in the software) and its ok now.

For what it is worth.... here is how I solved a major MR control problem today...... had several fly-aways over the past two weeks trying to get this issue resolved.

I my case today MRForums helped me to resolve a serious two week control problem with my smaller F550 with Naza controller.....
issue was vibration causing serious flying problems and it was solved by:
a) using Kyosho Zeal tape to isolate the Naza Controller from MR airframe vibration......
b) switching from APC 10x5 Eprops to APC 10x4.7 slow fly props.

Last test flight was absolute perfection!:tennis: I thought the controller was a throw away due to long term vibration damage.

Anyone?

THANKS

bnt276

Yesterday evening I did a tear down of my set up. New fresh model in my DX8 and redid the NAZA setup.
I stripped my AUW to just my...

Flamewheel 450
4 rctimer 2212 1000Kv motors
8" Gaui props
3300 4S 35C Pulse Lipo

Result is that it works fine in Manual mode, spools up fine and flies great....
Start up in Attitude mode with the new start option and it just goes crazy... straight up.
It seems as though the throttle curve (not TX) is wonky... like all the throttle is at the high end of the stick
and when I lower the throttle to bring it back down it just wants to stall.

I did set the idle in the software to lowest and it did make a small difference but not enough.

Any suggestions?

THANKS

Last edited by a moderator:

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
For what it is worth.... here is how I solved a major MR control problem today...... had several fly-aways over the past two weeks trying to get this issue resolved.

I my case today MRForums helped me to resolve a serious two week control problem with my smaller F550 with Naza controller.....
issue was vibration causing serious flying problems and it was solved by:
a) using Kyosho Zeal tape to isolate the Naza Controller from MR airframe vibration......
b) switching from APC 10x5 Eprops to APC 10x4.7 slow fly props.

Last test flight was absolute perfection!:tennis: I thought the controller was a throw away due to long term vibration damage.

If you need to resort to anti-vibration pads under a Naza to make it fly right all you're doing is putting a bandaid on and masking the real problem, you need to balance the props and possibly even the motors to get rid of the vibration. While it may fly OK now as you have it setup, if the vibration is that severe it's going to cause other problems over time, best to get to the root of it now before anything else happens. FWIW, I have three Naza flying and all of them are servo taped directly to the frame plates, none of them have any of the problems you've experienced. One has V1.6 firmware, another 1.8, and the third 3.1, with props ranging from carbon fiber 8 x 4.7 up to 10 x 5.

Whenever you do a firmware update on DJI you should always take note of all the settings in the Assistant before doing the upgrade. Once the upgrade is complete you should then reset all settings to default by clicking on the default button on each page and then hit enter to save it. Once you've done that you can go back and manually re-enter the settings you wrote down at the start and make sure to do the calibrations again just to be safe. Failure to do this can result in unpredicatble behavior after the upgrade and it is a recommendation that came from DJI, so make sure to do it right and it should minimize any problems on the first flights post upgrade.

Ken

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
I'd like to stay on track with my post in hopes that I can get some help. :)

CHEERS

In your first post you said "I set up the new firmware and double checked everything to see if the setting from my V1 got carried over...", read the second paragraph of my post and you may have your answer...

Ken

gtranquilla

RadioActive
RTRyder,
Re: Your 3 Naza's...... what size motors are you using for these?

If you need to resort to anti-vibration pads under a Naza to make it fly right all you're doing is putting a bandaid on and masking the real problem, you need to balance the props and possibly even the motors to get rid of the vibration. While it may fly OK now as you have it setup, if the vibration is that severe it's going to cause other problems over time, best to get to the root of it now before anything else happens. FWIW, I have three Naza flying and all of them are servo taped directly to the frame plates, none of them have any of the problems you've experienced. One has V1.6 firmware, another 1.8, and the third 3.1, with props ranging from carbon fiber 8 x 4.7 up to 10 x 5.

Whenever you do a firmware update on DJI you should always take note of all the settings in the Assistant before doing the upgrade. Once the upgrade is complete you should then reset all settings to default by clicking on the default button on each page and then hit enter to save it. Once you've done that you can go back and manually re-enter the settings you wrote down at the start and make sure to do the calibrations again just to be safe. Failure to do this can result in unpredicatble behavior after the upgrade and it is a recommendation that came from DJI, so make sure to do it right and it should minimize any problems on the first flights post upgrade.

Ken

RTRyder..... Thanks for the feedback....
I will continue to work on the remaining vibration issues.

Others may find this info of use as well.
So far I discarded the older magnetic suspension prop balancer and replaced with a precision ball bearing type that I find to be more sensitive enabling greater accuracy.
ISeismometer IPhone app is used with g force filtering turned off so that vibes are more visually apparent.
Although extremely fine motor balancing was achieved with the prop adapters off...... it was not possible to get the same results with them on even by repositioning them etc.
So now I will be balancing each motor c/w prop adapters in place.
Aluminum tape is used because it is thinner and also sticks on for the long ride. Other types tend to fly off at higher rpms.
Seems that the higher rpm motors with larger radius props are more challenging to balance..... (its about the angular momentum)!

Ken