Gaui Hands on tuition with Gaui 500x needed

majaribio

Hi,

New to multicopters. Have recently purchased Gaui 500x RTF for aerial photography. Standard set-up. Fitted with GU-344, scorpion motors, extended landing poles, 10" props, one axis camera mount, LED lights, 3200mah battery & BF8 receiver/transmitter.

Looking for someone with experience who could offer some one to one training with my Gaui. I live near Bristol, Somerset in the UK but would travel anywhere in the south west.

Basically not getting to grips with it at all. Tend to over compensate my movements, get into a panic and the outcome is pretty much obvious.

So far I have managed to cut the grass with it, lop the heads off the daffodils, bounce on the kids trampoline & try & take out a tree from a great height - that didn't go too well!

Joking aside & as much as I love to keep a couple of suppliers with steady business in spare parts could really do with some tuition from an experienced multicopter flyer - does not have to be a Gaui 500x.

Any offers much appreciated.

Thanks

:frog:

Gunter

Draganflyer X4
I could help you out, are you willing to drive to Reading? My weekends are normally pretty full, but could manage an hour or two behind the sticks with you.

If you are struggling that much, I would seriously consider a flight simulator. You can spend hours flying that without breaking anything, it's always worth starting off that way.

Gunter.

Macsgrafs

I could help you out, are you willing to drive to Reading? My weekends are normally pretty full, but could manage an hour or two behind the sticks with you.

If you are struggling that much, I would seriously consider a flight simulator. You can spend hours flying that without breaking anything, it's always worth starting off that way.

Gunter.

I'm with Gunter on this, a flight sim such as phoenix is the way to go, it taught me to fly helis! It has a quad on it as well, so it will be right up your street...best £80 you will EVER spend in this hobby & you can fly 24/7 ;)
http://www.phoenix-simv3.com/default.asp

Ross

Bowley

If you want a low cost sim have a look at clearview
www.rcflightsim.com
It's about £27 and just a quick download, there is free demo also and you pay to upgrade to full version.
You can only have it active on one computer at any time though. Try getting an indoor 4 ch heli also

majaribio

Thank you everyone for your comments. I agree a flight sim would be the way to go. I did think about the Phoenix when I bought the quad but didn't do anything about it!

Gunter - Thanks very much for your kind offer - Reading no problem. Appreciate weekends are busy. I'll send you a PM later with my contact details so you can get in touch.

phenoman

Hi Majaribio Im also in the same boat! :) I am awaiting my 330XS from Buzzflyer (fully assembled) and I have bought the RC Sim! Just brilliant, it has the 330XS on it, which is good enough for the 500 RTF. We almost went for the 500 however I was a little worried about its camera mount and the legs, as you maybe able to see them in the shots? Perhaps you can enlighten me on that? I have also got the aerocam kit with extended legs underneath the 330xs. We are probably buying the GoPro Hero HD with hopefully the back and the wifi connection in May! I did ask on here for lesson, but believe me the SIM is all you need! I have managed to hover and land correctly with it already in different locations on the SIM. Also I would work out the payload weight for the 500 as when you add it onto the SIM the unit will fly better and become more controllable. Definitely get the transmitter with the SIM! By the way I live in Shepton Mallet, so if you want some company on our nervous few flight hours just let me know! lol

majaribio

Hi Phenoman,
I did see your post. I'll have a better idea after this weekend about the camera mount & legs. The way I was flying I actually took it off but I think you can adjust the angle settings of mount in transmitter so dont think legs being in the way is going to be a problem. I thought Buzzflyer discontinued the Aerocam? I did get the Phoenix sim the day after my initial post for help & yes it's very good. How it compares to the real thing I'll have to wait & see. Haven't had opportunity to go back out with 500 since - too many other things going on, shame though weather has been fantastic!
Let us know when you get the 330 Getting together sounds a good idea. Your not that far away from me. I'm just off the A37 in Clutton.

phenoman

Hi Phenoman,
I did see your post. I'll have a better idea after this weekend about the camera mount & legs. The way I was flying I actually took it off but I think you can adjust the angle settings of mount in transmitter so dont think legs being in the way is going to be a problem. I thought Buzzflyer discontinued the Aerocam? I did get the Phoenix sim the day after my initial post for help & yes it's very good. How it compares to the real thing I'll have to wait & see. Haven't had opportunity to go back out with 500 since - too many other things going on, shame though weather has been fantastic!
Let us know when you get the 330 Getting together sounds a good idea. Your not that far away from me. I'm just off the A37 in Clutton.

Hi Majaribio

Gosh you are very close :) OK, well I think it might be a good idea to meet up and try them both! We can swap notes etc! Tip for the SIM, is to add the weight of the mount underneath. Mine can take 700kg I would expect the 500 will probably take a little more. It performs far better on the Simulator, and you can start to be a little more daring with it. The hardest aspect I found was controlling the Aileron. Mine tilts quite severely with the slightest touch, and I would say that's whats happening with yours perhaps? With more weight it makes it easier. If your flying it for solely for aerial photography then you will always have a payload.

Great, well best of luck, mine should come either tomorrow or Friday! Can't wait! Chat soon.

phenoman

Hi Majaribio I am like yourself struggling at the moment with the 330XS Its like a little animal compared to the SIM and its like starting again! I cannot control the Airleon as kits tilting all the time and bouncing off the ground. I have been told there is a ground effect with it and turbulence as well! How are you getting on with the 500? Maybe we could meet up next week to swap notes! Regards

majaribio

Hi Phenoman,
Glad it's just not me! I cant really add an update at the moment with my 500 because I still haven't had chance to go back out with it. When I'm not out filming (On the ground - that's my comfort zone) I'm at the computer editing. I've had a few more goes with the Phoenix flight sim & probably like you all seems well although I hate the way the 330 dips when you want to go off in a direction - maybe that's a setting thing! I really must get out with the 500 soon before I forget I've got it.. This weekend is definitely out & the following weekend I'm down Dorest filming - well the Saturday I am, weather dependant so might be free 22nd.
Where abouts in Shepton Mallet are you trying to fly your 330?

adameakin

Hi,

I too have just bought the gaui 500x quad, i have zero experience in flying any remote control helis, i started off by using the Pheonix sim, yes i would recommend this, but nothing beats flying the real thing. I too have crashed and replaced most props at least 5 times over, my advice to you is simply practice lifting the quad approx. 4-5ft of the ground and then land it without damaging it, then once you feel comfortable doing this, then practice moving it left to right, backwards and forwards again keep it in a certain radius, keep on doing this until you have mastered the controls then begin to fly it at a higher altitude, say 10 to 15ft and repeat the whole process over and over again, this is what i am doing and i am doing well with it. Crawl before you walk! Also be warned do not try and catch the quad in your hand when the throttle is active as it will harm you, trust me i nearly lost my fingernail quite a sore experience, also if you have young children in your garden be carefull where you fly the quad as it could hurt them if you loose control of it!

Last edited by a moderator:

phenoman

Hi,

I too have just bought the gaui 500x quad, i have zero experience in flying any remote control helis, i started off by using the Pheonix sim, yes i would recommend this, but nothing beats flying the real thing. I too have crashed and replaced most props at least 5 times over, my advice to you is simply practice lifting the quad approx. 4-5ft of the ground and then land it without damaging it, then once you feel comfortable doing this, then practice moving it left to right, backwards and forwards again keep it in a certain radius, keep on doing this until you have mastered the controls then begin to fly it at a higher altitude, say 10 to 15ft and repeat the whole process over and over again, this is what i am doing and i am doing well with it. Crawl before you walk! Also be warned do not try and catch the quad in your hand when the throttle is active as it will harm you, trust me i nearly lost my fingernail quite a sore experience, also if you have young children in your garden be carefull where you fly the quad as it could hurt them if you loose control of it!

Hi

Thanks for the advise! Its certainly a challenge this isn't it! Not only flying them, but also when they crash how you maintain them also! Trying to fly it after practicing on the SIM was like starting again for me. I really not sure if the SIM actually allowed me to have more control over it? I must say before I crashed it and the leg came off (still repairing) i placed it into hover mode, and hey presto! It started to hover, but then came crashing down and that is how the leg flew off. I will leave it in Hover mode for the moment, and will follow your advise to lift it off the ground and side to side. That is good enough for me! I was also told, not to take it any further than that...baby steps. If I master the hovering, leave until next time. There is a certain amount of urgency, I need to have it flying by the end of May. Is that achievable for a beginner I wonder? We shall see.. I think its still the fear of crashing it! Once you have mastered confidence it should become easier.

I won't catch the quad I can assure you, as that means it will flying which is a miracle at the moment! lol There are no Children to worry about, just a shy Cat, and she won't be around that is for sure! It is like a little animal that needs taming..but practice makes perfect hopefully. I will let you know how it progresses, and visa versa!

Regards

Lifter

Hi

Thanks for the advise! Its certainly a challenge this isn't it! Not only flying them, but also when they crash how you maintain them also! Trying to fly it after practicing on the SIM was like starting again for me. I really not sure if the SIM actually allowed me to have more control over it? I must say before I crashed it and the leg came off (still repairing) i placed it into hover mode, and hey presto! It started to hover, but then came crashing down and that is how the leg flew off. I will leave it in Hover mode for the moment, and will follow your advise to lift it off the ground and side to side. That is good enough for me! I was also told, not to take it any further than that...baby steps. If I master the hovering, leave until next time. There is a certain amount of urgency, I need to have it flying by the end of May. Is that achievable for a beginner I wonder? We shall see.. I think its still the fear of crashing it! Once you have mastered confidence it should become easier.

I won't catch the quad I can assure you, as that means it will flying which is a miracle at the moment! lol There are no Children to worry about, just a shy Cat, and she won't be around that is for sure! It is like a little animal that needs taming..but practice makes perfect hopefully. I will let you know how it progresses, and visa versa!

Regards

phenoman / adameakin,
What mode are you guys flying in - Mode 2 or Mode 1 ?
Also if you go back to Post #5 & 6 re the MQX quad and if your budget allows it - get one, you will go ahead in leaps and bounds with out the repair bill - having been there this is a far better option than the Sim and it handles like the real thing - However as far as I know its only compatible with a Spectrum radio, unless you buy the total package which comes with its own tX.. maybe there are others out there.
If you are having trouble at this stage hovering and just getting it off the ground you are up for a steep learning curve when you attempt NOSE IN - I know I still haven't got it...
My 2cents worth
Good Luck with it

Dreaming

Definitely get the Blade quad if your budget allows! It is very durable, and easy to practice indoors.
I have the 330x with the GU 344 and I think that the "hover mode" is only good if you are in a gymnasium, or somewhere with no
Wind at all. I tried to learn to fly it in hover mode outside and it wobbled in the slightest wind, so I tried the cruise mode and it
Behaved much more favorable!

phenoman

Hi Phenoman,
Glad it's just not me! I cant really add an update at the moment with my 500 because I still haven't had chance to go back out with it. When I'm not out filming (On the ground - that's my comfort zone) I'm at the computer editing. I've had a few more goes with the Phoenix flight sim & probably like you all seems well although I hate the way the 330 dips when you want to go off in a direction - maybe that's a setting thing! I really must get out with the 500 soon before I forget I've got it.. This weekend is definitely out & the following weekend I'm down Dorest filming - well the Saturday I am, weather dependant so might be free 22nd.
Where abouts in Shepton Mallet are you trying to fly your 330?

Hi Majaribio Long time no hear! How are you getting on with the 500? Since we last communicated the weather has been just appalling until now! I have tried to take it out on the time I have, and I am still struggling. Are you still interested in meeting up and trying to crack it together? I am available next week in the evenings, perhaps this coming Tuesday we can meet up with the late nights!

Regards