Handheld nex5n from Robinson 44

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I was blown away by how smooth the video came out just hand holding the nex. I tried with my 7d and it would give you a screaming headache to watch it. Anyone who has tried shooting in a real helicopter knows the 400rpm pulse is just perfectly wrong for trying to handhold a camera in as it is slow enough your body tries to compensate for it but fast enough it shows up as jello. I did run this through a stabilizer but still. I would be really curious to know how well the cx760 works in comparison.

Last edited by a moderator:

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
What was more fun than filming was "trying" to fly the damn thing. I was pretty sure with my RC heli experience I would be able to fly her. Much much different. Since we are so used to flying LOS it was actually really tricky to keep a steady nose attitude. The stick is more sensitive than the octo I have. Once you get above 60 knots the rudder is pretty stable. He took over the throttle which was more or less ok in one place. But just cyclic alone keeping a constant speed is tricky without having hours of experience. What really gets me is how different the physics are between RC and real helis. The head articulates on these things unlike the fixed head on an RC. The redbull helis that can do loops have a fixed head but they are the only ones. The concept of gyroscopic precession is alien! When you push forward on the cyclic the left side of the cyclic on the swash is increasing the blade AOA. On an RC heli, the swash lifts up more or less proportionally to the input of the stick (or am I wrong about this?) the other weird thing is auto rotation. IN a smallrc we have no mass so you need to put the blade into a slight negative pitch to keep the head rpms up. In a real heli you push the collective all the way down to where it is dead 0 degrees. The forward momentuum of the heli keeps the head speed enough that you can more or less fly normally the whole way down. Bazaar!

Macsgrafs

Iris, you want to try a seaking helicopter...before you even start the rudder pedals are in need of 60Kg of boot just to level them!!!!

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Not sure I understand what your saying? But yes, the pedals take some pressure even on the R44 once you build some speed.

kloner

Aerial DP
I've grabbed ahold of a 60's hu1 one time, talk about a heavy stick........ them notars are no joke either. Reminds me of riding a crotch rocket..... it's not that they can't fly long distances, it's just not comftorable to

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Awesome! that would be a real experience.

So where are the experienced RC heli pilots here to ask a question to about the similarities of the cyclic? I'm dying to know if RC's have the compensated cyclic for gyroscopic presession. My memory doesnt recall the swash being anything other than perfectly aligned with the movement of the sticks.