Group Build 2014, DJI NAZA/F450 Quadcopter!

Attachments

• Quad frontal gimbal lights.jpg
    Quad frontal gimbal lights.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 431

JoeBob

Elevation via Flatulation
Captain J: 'Tiny bit of movement' = it moves if you push against it. Flight seems stable, but I am no expert. Too little experience.

http://vimeo.com/91877939

(Yep - I need to slow down the Gimbal pitch speed and yaw. It was windy as heck!)

I have considered adding some soft rubber to the bottom of the top plate to push down on the FC to dampen any vibrations, but I don't know about heat build-up.

Last edited by a moderator:

placoderm

Need a little advice, I have had some things change (nothing horrible, just need to adjust my spending on this project) as such I am now looking at a KK2.1.5 for my controller. I know the Naza would be a much better FC, and have a ton more functionality, but money is going to be a little tight for a while so I am eyeing cheaper options.

Already have: Tools and DJI F450 ARF

Thinking of buying
FC::
KK2.1.5 + Super bright LED + Y cable + Usbasp connector ~ $45-50 + shipping
Other (better) cheap options to consider? Lets try to keep this under 100$

Radio::
Turnigy 9XR Mode 2 + Turnigy 11.1V (3s) + DJT - FrySeky DF 2.4Ghz Combo pack with module & RX + Neck Strap ~$116.00
I have seen a number of reviews on this unit, but in general the number one complaint is feels a little cheap and some ergonomics. I like that the software is upgraded easier and comes with a decent load on it. Since I have no prior expectations this seems like a good unit. Is the DJT Module a good choice? Should I choose something different? Is there one that is as good but cheaper? Anything I am really missing here?

Battery charger/battery:
Charger: The charger mentioned in this thread (cheaper one) is out of stock, any suggestions from Hobbyking or some place else?
Battery: I am going to read through the ninja thing again... If you want to through a suggestion my way thanks!
Any suggestions on a nice combo here? I would like to keep the combined total for this section $200 or below ($150 or below is even better)

--Placoderm

JoeBob

Trouble - Shooting?

History: My 550 has always had a ghost. I get 2 to 4 perfect flights and then a crash. I've crashed enough to think that there might be a pattern to losing control during slow advancing turns. It's hard to be sure, though; because I forget over the time that it takes to rebuild. 8 times now.

2 minutes of flight into the 3rd Battery of the most recent rebuild. Replaced the top and bottom plates, so I think I can eliminate a bad solder joint; they are all new.
50 feet away, Wobbled left right left right and flipped 3 times while dropping 30 feet. Two arms broken this time. At least they're cheap and easy, and I have spares.

Question: How do I test individual motors and ESCs? They're all crash veterans now.
Can I feel confident about the FC because it flys well some of the time?
Bullet connectors are all shrink-wrapped on. Smooth level flying before every crash. Close range Plenty of battery left in 5200 mah packs.

DJI 550 Flamewheel
Naza M v2 w/ GPS (6 or more satellites, GPS mode)
Spektrum DX9
AR8000
Boscam 500mw tx (mounted well back)

Video later tonight.

JoeBob

Three things:

1-Listen to the motors. Once it started to drop I'm trying to get it to go full throttle. No response.

2- The Zenmuse is amazing. The video is almost steady on the way down, not flipping and twisting like the MR was.

3- After impact, the motors would not turn off. (Had to unplug without getting my nails trimmed.) It does that about every 5th flight.

Ideas?

My next step is to rebuild it and clamp it to a chair for 6 or 8 batteries to see if I can isolate whatever this is.

CptKaos

First quad

This is my first post on this board. I had been away from flying R/C for about 15yrs but went into a local hobby shop to kill some time and started looking inti quads, later I found this site and thread on the DFI F450 build, after reading for a couple of days I went back to the shop and picked up an F450 kit and a DX8 radio. One of the guys at the shop got me hooked up with a guy who used to work for DFI, he checked out my build and programming and cleared me for my first flight. I have been running at least 2 packs a day through it and just wanted to say thanks.
Larry

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 343
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 403

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
This is my first post on this board. I had been away from flying R/C for about 15yrs but went into a local hobby shop to kill some time and started looking inti quads, later I found this site and thread on the DFI F450 build, after reading for a couple of days I went back to the shop and picked up an F450 kit and a DX8 radio. One of the guys at the shop got me hooked up with a guy who used to work for DFI, he checked out my build and programming and cleared me for my first flight. I have been running at least 2 packs a day through it and just wanted to say thanks.
Larry

so I guess you were able to get into the site OK finally? :)

welcome and congrats on the first flights.

Bart

CptKaos

What's the total average flying weight of a loaded out F450, mine weighs 1212kg, no camera or gimble.

Larry

Bartman

What's the total average flying weight of a loaded out F450, mine weighs 1212kg, no camera or gimble.

Larry

i'm a bad guy to ask as i modified mine with different motors so i'm flying with two 5000mah batteries and only basic FPV stuff.

Bartman

Three things:

1-Listen to the motors. Once it started to drop I'm trying to get it to go full throttle. No response.

2- The Zenmuse is amazing. The video is almost steady on the way down, not flipping and twisting like the MR was.

3- After impact, the motors would not turn off. (Had to unplug without getting my nails trimmed.) It does that about every 5th flight.

Ideas?

My next step is to rebuild it and clamp it to a chair for 6 or 8 batteries to see if I can isolate whatever this is.

Joe,

Does it do it after the fifth flight of the day or every five flights regardless of when/how they're flown?

A tricky thing to diagnose is when there is a bad ESC or motor. With one bad motor or ESC the whole helicopter will act like the flight control is going nuts when actually the FC is trying to deal with a loss of control from the motor not responding correctly. Immediately after a bad flight touch the ESC's and motors to see if any are hotter than the others. Also see if there is any binding in any of the motors.

Adding power won't fix it because it may already be limiting power to a motor to try to maintain control (even though it isn't and can't)

JoeBob

Hey Bart,

Thanks for your help.

Every 5 flights is a general figure. I've flown 50 flights since building it, and it's come down on it's own 8 times. (6 times = wobble, reduce power, drop hard out of open air. 2 times were probably pilot error - lost orientation and drifted into trees while trying to determine which way was front.)

Clues:
It's never had a problem when flying without the Camera/Landing Gear/Vtx; but that was only the 5 early flights total.
Could the 5.8 Boscam 500mW Video Tx be messing with the radio?
My failsafe is set to 'Land', not 'Go Home and Land'. (Way too many trees here.) Could I be losing signal and the FC not programmed high enough? When loaded, the 550 hovers at about 65% throttle. (50% throttle = hover with no camera and LG.) After a crash the motors keep spinning, despite being throttled all the way down. Failsafe? Three of the crashes were straight down hard onto the landing gear.
It always does the wobble before dropping. The last 2 times I knew it was gonna crash because I saw the wobble, and had no control input.

Things it's not:
I always calibrate GPS before flying.
It's always giving me 2 green + 2 green blinks flying in GPS mode before taking off.
Average distance from the radio to MR when crashing = 40 yards. Spektrum RX antennas (3) are positioned so that's it's impossible to not have one LOS.
The LiPos always have power left.

Plan of action:
I'm rebuilding and bolting the 550 to my bench. Then I'll run at least 3 batteries through it to see if any motors or ESCs get hot or act different. Should I have the props on when testing in order to load the motors? Spares have been ordered.
Then I'll run at least 3 batteries through it in the air without the Camera rig attached. Flying figure 8s in front of a video camera should be good practice.
Then I'll fly it with the GoPro and landing gear attached, but NOT power up the Vtx.

Assuming that I haven't crashed again by then, I'll hook up the Vtx and go again.

Suggestions welcome?

CptKaos

Finally got the nerve up to test failsafe, well it was very anticlimactic and worked properly.
But the pucker factor was way on up there before I threw the switch.
Larry

The LEDs sure worked great

Bartman

Hey Bart,

Thanks for your help.

Every 5 flights is a general figure. I've flown 50 flights since building it, and it's come down on it's own 8 times. (6 times = wobble, reduce power, drop hard out of open air. 2 times were probably pilot error - lost orientation and drifted into trees while trying to determine which way was front.)

Clues:
It's never had a problem when flying without the Camera/Landing Gear/Vtx; but that was only the 5 early flights total.
Could the 5.8 Boscam 500mW Video Tx be messing with the radio?
My failsafe is set to 'Land', not 'Go Home and Land'. (Way too many trees here.) Could I be losing signal and the FC not programmed high enough? When loaded, the 550 hovers at about 65% throttle. (50% throttle = hover with no camera and LG.) After a crash the motors keep spinning, despite being throttled all the way down. Failsafe? Three of the crashes were straight down hard onto the landing gear.
It always does the wobble before dropping. The last 2 times I knew it was gonna crash because I saw the wobble, and had no control input.

Things it's not:
I always calibrate GPS before flying.
It's always giving me 2 green + 2 green blinks flying in GPS mode before taking off.
Average distance from the radio to MR when crashing = 40 yards. Spektrum RX antennas (3) are positioned so that's it's impossible to not have one LOS.
The LiPos always have power left.

Plan of action:
I'm rebuilding and bolting the 550 to my bench. Then I'll run at least 3 batteries through it to see if any motors or ESCs get hot or act different. Should I have the props on when testing in order to load the motors? Spares have been ordered.
Then I'll run at least 3 batteries through it in the air without the Camera rig attached. Flying figure 8s in front of a video camera should be good practice.
Then I'll fly it with the GoPro and landing gear attached, but NOT power up the Vtx.

Assuming that I haven't crashed again by then, I'll hook up the Vtx and go again.

Suggestions welcome?

you could try some slightly larger props or more weight to load up the motors and make them warmer than usual. if there's a bad one it might fail sooner or run even hotter.

Bartman

Anybody still going with this? If anyone is coming to the party late, feel free to jump right in and we'll get your questions answered.

Bartman

glad to hear it guys.

just curious....does the Hobbyking frame have the power distribution built into it like the DJI frames do?