Group Build 2014, DJI NAZA/F450 Quadcopter!

JoeBob

Elevation via Flatulation
Bart, you have created a monster.

I ordered a DiscoPro to go with the 550 which I built with this group. The Disco is finally here, so I'm going to use those parts (GPS antenna and FC) to switch out one at a time to see if I can isolate the 550 motor pulsing problem that I'm having.

My question: Is there anything special that I need to do to keep the NAZA software from getting confused when I use the same computer to calibrate two different MRs? If all flight data is stored on the FC, I shouldn't have a problem. But if the Assistant retains data from one bird, how do you keep the two birds info separate?

Thanks,
Joe

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
joe,

the data resides in the flight controller. the NAZA assistant reads it from the NAZA so you don't have to worry about the assistant mixing up data. you're running two different NAZA's or one between two helicopters?

StonedLlama

Spinny Side Up
I have a quick question for you DJI experts.

After a light crash, one of the gold solder pads popped off my integrated circuit board. Does the circuit run through the board, or is it only laid on top, covered by the black enamel? I would like to know if I can drill through the area the pads are in, and put solder through the board for a good connection (possibly even extra solder pads on the bottom of the plate?).

Cheers!

xsnowb27

I have a quick question for you DJI experts.

After a light crash, one of the gold solder pads popped off my integrated circuit board. Does the circuit run through the board, or is it only laid on top, covered by the black enamel? I would like to know if I can drill through the area the pads are in, and put solder through the board for a good connection (possibly even extra solder pads on the bottom of the plate?).

Cheers!

I believe its all built into board. Bartman has a video in this thread showing him adding an additional pad by sanding down sections of the board. I think top is positive and bottom is negative.

JoeBob

Elevation via Flatulation
Hey Bart,

NAZA v2 in the 550 and NAZA Lite for the Disco.

Thanks for clarifying the Assistant question!
Joe

quarta

Okay guys, I have a question/dilemma that I'm hoping to solve within the next few hours. I found an arkbird osd/autopilot system that someone is selling for $100 Canadian. It has fixed wing autopilot, current sensor, decent osd capabilities. I will be using this on my f450 with NAZA lite as well as my easy star 2, moving it between the two. Cheapest I can find the EZOSD is 179 usd ( from a Canadian company, shipped within Canada). The EZ is a bit lighter and has telemetry, but no autopilot features when on the easy Star. I am using a fat shark teleporter v3 system. The arkbird has no antenna tracking...

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated! Supposed to pick up the Arkbird tonight... Having last second thoughts.

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

coreyperez

I didn't think the fixed wing auto pilots worked in multi rotors. The NAZA takes care of the RTH features, but will not do waypoint features without spending tons of money on the A2 Etc.

I had the EZOSD and was really impressed. You can get them all day long on eBay for 80ish $ and 70+$ from China on eBay.

Corey

Last edited by a moderator:

quarta

I will only be using OSD capabilities when on the quad... As you said the naza already has returned to home.

The arkbird is half the cost, and will give me autopilot capabilities when on my easystar though...

Trying to decide whether I will do telemetry in the future, or long range, which would need antenna tracking

...I haven't checked eBay for the EZOSD, surprised you can get them that cheap!

Either way thanks for the input!

Edit.....
I just checked eBay and couldn't find an ezosd for less than $200, is there a problem with my app? Lol...

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

xsnowb27

So after some first attempts at flying and issues that came along with it, I had my first flight today on my F450 and now I think I'm hooked. I have 9x4.5 APC props on it with a 5000 mah 4s LiPo and I flew for I would guesstimate about 15 minutes which at that point I was wondering how much longer the battery was going to go for. Now after my first flight I already want to upgrade motors, props, put a gimbal on maybe turn it into F550?

RobBurn

For Bartman!

Hello, 1st post. Ive read through all the posts and im getting on board. Was doing alot of research on multirotors and happened upon your thread. Thanks! Long sotry short, i used to build and fly rc planes way back and have done rc cars as of late and wanted to get into helicopters but never did. Recently a friend told me he bought a phantom 2 setup and i started investigating dji and all that goes along with flying these setups. I was just short of buying a vision+ and had read about fly awys and the such and decided to back up and thats when i ran across this thread and thought i need to build one of these to really understand them.

A question i have at the moment is radios, even way back i spent alot on the radio as i felt it was worth it due to the likelyhood of interference ive witnessed at the field. Ive set my sights on a futaba system, the 14sg radio R7008sb. Is this a radio you could recommend or better yet if money was not an issue what radio would you pick? I dont know if there are more specialized radios for fpv , like having the fpv come throught the radio? I guess id say i would not spent over a grand for a radio but under 7 hundred would be the limit unless the radio had fov built in and would be in line with a radio and seperate screen etc.

thanks again for your time

Rob

Bartman

So after some first attempts at flying and issues that came along with it, I had my first flight today on my F450 and now I think I'm hooked. I have 9x4.5 APC props on it with a 5000 mah 4s LiPo and I flew for I would guesstimate about 15 minutes which at that point I was wondering how much longer the battery was going to go for. Now after my first flight I already want to upgrade motors, props, put a gimbal on maybe turn it into F550?

is that with the stock motors? that's a good benchmark for others, 5000mah/4S pack, bare F450, stock motors, APC 9x4.5, 15+ min flight times. :)

dmoorejr

Hello everyone, I must first of all say that this is an amazing community! It probably took me 3 days to read through all of this extremely informative material.

I am new to quadcopters and I love every minute I have to fly these babies.

I purchased a Syma X1 about a month ago and enjoyed it so much I decided I wanted a real one. I was looking and building and buying one and had not discovered this site yet, so I bought one at Quadrysteria.com.

Here is the link to what I got: Click Here

Ron at Quadrysteria is very helpful and responds very quickly. I think we have exchanged 50+ emails in less than 3 weeks. I hope this is a good one, tell me what you think.

This is an SK450 Dead Cat version.
I am running 9x4.5" props with 2650mah 30c 3s batteries.

If anyone can help me with a couple questions that would be great.

Should I do a parallel 2x 2650mah 3s or do a single 5000mah 3s for more flight time?

Also how hard is it to swap from a KK2 board to a NAZA with gps(probably lite version). Im a little worried about dumping FPV and GoPro money into only to watch it loose transmission and fly off into the blue.(more questions on FPV later)

Thanks!!!!

coreyperez

Rob burn,

I too have ditched the lower quality radius and finally moved to the penthouse suite (aka 14SG) and have no regrets. As far as a unit that is integrated with video, the only quality option I know if is using a transmitter tray with a screen mounted too it. Personally I'm saving towards a set if goggles, my base station ell just be for emergency recovery or others to watch as i fly.

Corey

coreyperez

Dmoorejr,

I am flying both KK 2.1 and NAZA -m's, I personally ENJOY flying my KK crafts SIGNIFICANTLY MORE than the NAZA equipped version. That being said, the NAZA is the one that I trust my expensive equipment with. I've fully tested my fail safe settings and know how my equipment works, so I can say that with solid footing. I'm getting ready to purchase a Super X and will be mounting it on my most expensive craft, but I'm also unsure of the actual quality of the finished product. This is all second hand knowledge, as I haven't ever messed with one yet, but as I research them I'm less impressed with the user interface, but still moving forward with my plan to purchase.

Corey

Bartman

would you happen to know what your battery voltage was when you came down from this flight?

RobBurn

Thanks for the feedback, i see something with the walkera devo radio's apear to have a lcd. I do think the 14SG will be the route i take

Filibuster

Anybody still going with this? If anyone is coming to the party late, feel free to jump right in and we'll get your questions answered.

Heya, Bart! I finally made it through this whole thread over the course of the last week. Just wanted to chime in, and let you know there are still new guys interested in jumping in! I'll be easing into it (hopefully) slowly. Right now I am accumulating the tools for the job. I should have my new Weller WESD51 soldering station by next weekend. Just need a few other items after that before I start buying components for my F450 build! Can't wait to get started. Thanks, BTW for the group build. This is just what I needed to get started.

Guess I should head over to make an intro post!

-Jay