Graupners only?

Warlock

Hi, I am new to DJI stuff, but like what I see. I am thinking of getting a F550 hexa with the Naza system including GPS, I'm just going to run 3s for now as I have so many of them. I am just learning that there have been props flying apart and or breaking in flight which cant be a good thing! I was told by the man I am buying it from who sells everything DJI has that indeed the "V-1" props had a problem with breaking sometimes. But he say's they make a better one now with stronger material and a much thicker boss in the center where the breakage normally occours.

He also sells Graupners, I just heard of them. Graupners I was told sell for about $12.00 a piece which is kind of steep, but cheap compared to crashes. Is what I am being told accurate? I am sure there are other props out there, and everyone has there favorites. Do you think I would just be better off to get the Graupners in the first place?

VINHEX

I've heard a lot of the 10" props giving up. Nothing on the 8" but I'm sutras there must be. You can run 8" and 10" on a 3s but if moving up to 4s then 8". Grp Porps have a good rep so when I upgrade I'll move to these but only when I'm confident flying it. Don't want to spend shed load on props and smash them on a silly mistake.

Bison52

If you're going to be in training mode for awhile, the DJI props are fine. Balance them and inspect them regularly. A flexible plastic prop (and cheap) like the DJI is better for training. More forgiving. A stiff prop like the Graupner is great once you're past the worst of the learning curve but they aren't very forgiving, shatter easily even in a simple tip over.

hjls3

The 8" DJI props are a.o.k. in my book. I have a stock 550 and we really have a bunch of fun with it. I have had more than a few scrapes with grass, pavement and even a rooftop. The props do fine. As cheap as they are, I just replace them when they get a bit scared up. I have another bird that runs 11" Graupners and while I do think the props ad some stableness, the fun factor of the stock 550 is hard to get around. I do things with that bird I would not even consider with the more expensive setup. Get yourself a 550 and have some fun!!!!

Warlock

Wow! Thanks you guys. I Honestly was hopeing that the 550 I am about to get with either the WooKong or Naza with GPS set up, would be one super stable bad boy :nevreness: I have had a Walkera MX-400, then a Turbo Ace 830 X, and then a Xaircraft X-650 V-8. The Xaircraft one was the best of the three, but just falls short in electronics quality, I have the compass, auto pilot, and GPS on it and it all works fair, but return to home really means body slam its self to Earth.

I did'nt even consider the brittleness "if thats a word" of the Graupners. I could see why they would be more likely to snap. I do have a fair amount of quad time that said, hjls3 is very comfortable with the stockers. I dont even plan on hard flying or fast manuvers etc. I do a LOT of hovering taking video and pictures, and just dont want all my gear on it dropping from the sky with the 550 because a prop flew apart. I'll get a couple sets of both Graupners and DJI that ought to do it. :nevreness:

hjls3

and oh yeah i forgot...those dji props plop right on with no messing around. With DJI motors they are the only props i have really tried. That said, I have wanted to give the APC props a go. Kloner - what is required to fit those APC props to the DJI motors? Sorry if its been covered a million times.

Hi Warlock. I have had my 550 with Naza and GPS for a couple of weeks now and I absolutely love it! Being brand new to all of this I have had a few spills and the worst I have done is dented a prop, the thing is pretty tough from what I can see. I am just waiting for some 10x5 Graupners to arrive this week as I was advised they were the best to go for, will let you know how they work out.

Warlock

Hi Warlock. I have had my 550 with Naza and GPS for a couple of weeks now and I absolutely love it! Being brand new to all of this I have had a few spills and the worst I have done is dented a prop, the thing is pretty tough from what I can see. I am just waiting for some 10x5 Graupners to arrive this week as I was advised they were the best to go for, will let you know how they work out.

Oh ya, thanks a lot! Everything you expected the Naza set up to it must be doing for ya. Works for me.

N720HP

No need to spent the extra dollars .... Yet.
Once you get familiar with the aircraft AND have a desire to lift things into the air... Like a camera. The stock 8" props are great.
You will know when it's time to move up to the Graupner props.

Dewster

I like the look and reputation of the Graupners. I want to try them. I haven't heard anything bad about the brand. I use the APC props because they are forgiving.

I never crashed my Hexa while using the WKM. My Hexa did crash after installing a set of full carbon fiber props. One prop snapped/broke mid flight sending my flat hexa down. Some say the prop might have been over torqued, others say possibly a defect in the prop, but either way... the APC props flex and I haven't heard of them self destructing in mid flight.

I think prop failures (outside of pilot error) probably list high on causes for multi rotor crashes. So a good, secure prop is a must.

Last edited by a moderator:

remyd

I have the f450 and after weeks of flying using the 8inch props i had one let go today, no real damage but it was on take off. I swapped to the spare 10 inch set and that also broke shortly after take off. Moved to my APC and wow much stabler and so far no sign of breaking. Both breaks happened after i added weight (battery and gimbal) so that probably added to the stress but no other changes. I also have a graupner set on order but if you want mid range safety go the APC. At the end of the day i wont risk the quad and electronics on a cheap set of props with known problems again. UPGRADE! On the 450 the APC's need to be enlarged/reemed to fit a 8mm hole.
Cheers,
Remy

Warlock

As I see it, and mostly because I have spent a small fortune on three other quads, and another fortune on parts and hours of rebuilding. Why test for failure if there is an alternitive? I would love to have a seperate 550 to try out props and other stuff on like a test mule. But only if I was not paying for it. I'm having a small custum Go Pro camera mount made and as well an extended landng gear set. No gimbals just vibration isolators. I'm, running 3s becasue I have lots of them. I should not even come close to over loading. Oh I will be installing my Lawmate 1 watt video transmitter, and a small lipo that powers it but its small and would not be hardly noticed.

Kentjjl

Every sense I had a pair of dji 10" props break in midair I don't trust them 8"our 10". Graupner props all thy way.

astr0b0y

Do the same rules apple in terms of sizeof the Graupners? 8" for 4S and 10" for 3S?
I've been using 8" DJI on 4S and found them fine but have now added landing gear, gimbal and GoPro so was wondering if maybe 9 or 10" on 4S would be better for lift.