GoPro WiFi module

yakjock

I have read recently that GoPro will be brining out a WiFi module for their Hero2 camera that can stream live video over & WiFi hotspot connection too & from a smartphone or tablet. The range will be quite short (180 meters according to GoPro) so FPV is not really going to work but as a cheap & simple add on for a GoPro to see what it is seeing & simple control for photos can it be used safely with a 2.4Ghz controller like a Spektrum DX8

http://gopro.com/hd-hero-accessories/wi-fi-bacpac-remote-combo/

Chris.

steph280

This was supposed to have came out back in March. They kept on postponing it. Must ran into some technical bind...

JePe

heard they had software problems.... I was told it will at least take till July... I'm very curious if the WiFi will work at all, seeing the size of it all, and knowing the problems 'normal' networks sometimes have with WiFi...

mailman35

ad hoc wifi seems to have a max distance of 50-100ft if you are lucky and you stand on 1 leg while balancing a tea cup in the other :O

Dean NZ

we will see....

Yeah I am sceptical about range as well, but it's not a FPV attempt, its to frame shots and see what I am filming/shooting still when flying, for $ 99 bucks, it WAY cheaper than a FPV set when I have the GP camera & IPAD.
I am playing around for now and if am still hooked I'll then I go up sacle & technology....

JePe

I think you have to boost the receiver, with for example stuff like www.powerwifi.nl . That's only for laptops ofcourse, but...

I'm really curious if it will work in 'real life'.... 100 bucks for an extra 'backpack' is a bit steep for the probably limited uses.... infinity cams have it by default (and also have default a LCD screen), and are still cheaper then a GoPro!! ... so why has everything with GoPro be so expensive? I like GoPro, I don't like their prices... And I don't like the fact they introduce something (waaaaay over in 2011) and can't deliver for almost 6 months!! Bad... real bad. I'm still waiting for the 'diving casing' (with flat lenscover)... seems they deliver only marginal to the Netherlands.... If I had to choose again, I would have gone over to Infinity....

Dean NZ

I think you have to boost the receiver, with for example stuff like www.powerwifi.nl . That's only for laptops ofcourse, but...

I'm really curious if it will work in 'real life'.... 100 bucks for an extra 'backpack' is a bit steep for the probably limited uses.... infinity cams have it by default (and also have default a LCD screen), and are still cheaper then a GoPro!! ... so why has everything with GoPro be so expensive? I like GoPro, I don't like their prices... And I don't like the fact they introduce something (waaaaay over in 2011) and can't deliver for almost 6 months!! Bad... real bad. I'm still waiting for the 'diving casing' (with flat lenscover)... seems they deliver only marginal to the Netherlands.... If I had to choose again, I would have gone over to Infinity....

That $ 99 gets a remote too, that can control 50 camera's (if you every decide to own that many....:) ) so you get complete control of the camera and it live streams, how good it does that I wll let you know. I get mine on the 18th while on business in the UK, so I will trial is while sailing there, I will put the GP up the mast and switch it on at times when there's some action......then when I get home, the Flame Wheel 550 upgrade should be here for my 450, then I'll do some distance tests....
As for not liking the GP way of doing things & the cost.....they will get better, they just have to make some profile off you & me first - LOL !!!!

Dean NZ

WIFI PACK & Go Pro APP

OK - Wifi pack has worked OK, got some good sailing video from up the mast and didn't have to go up & down to turn it on/off. Signal didn't like going through a carbon 3Di mainsail, so it isn't that strong.
Anyway down loaded the App which got released last night and have played around this evening, works OK, haven't checked the range yet, but with the issues above, I think the 150' distance might be it's direct line of sight limit.
Biggest issue with the signal feed to the IPAD is the delay, at least two seconds if not 3, so you would be into the ground pretty quick before you had time to recover while flying, so i think it's going to be best for framing shots and filming with the luxury of the on/off function and to change modes, its not a short range FPV replacement thats for sure.
View attachment 6927

Attachments

• HF .jpg
    HF .jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 264

Dean NZ

With a 2-3 second delay it might not even be usable for framing a shot. Rather disappointing.

GPS mode and a few shots should get you what you want, I can see the real-state guys using it for quickies. I like it for the mast work and general shooting, least you have some idea of what is shooting.

flitelab

Still seems like a fair bit of delay if your trying to hover a multi and get a perfect shot. Seems an FPV live feed may still be best but I guess have to try and see. Also wonder how the range will be.

Dean NZ

I will do a range check today with the FW550 see what I get. The IPAD is sensitive to where you place your hand on the unit with the relationship to range.

flitelab

I just bought one today as well to do some testing with. If nothing else it might be useful for setting up the GoPro on the aircraft at least to check the view and angle.

flitelab

Just got the wifi backpac setup and all the updates done on the various parts...updates would not work on PC, had to do it on the Mac then it was fine.

Did a quick test of the app on iPad, after a few power on/off tries it finally connected for the preview stream, wouldn't at first although all the controls and settings worked fine. The delay is about 2.5 seconds on mine. Pretty much useless for framing with any accuracy unless you can hold a solid position for 3 seconds at a time, gives you a general sense of the shot but nothing with any great accuracy due to the lag. Certainly could never be used for any sort of FPV.

More tests to follow but so far I'm not that impressed. It is nice for changing all the camera settings however, better than stepping through the various button clicks on the GoPro itself.

kloner

Aerial DP
that new pro tune software is out... i wonder what it did for photos. in video it is recording raw.......

everybody that trys using this for live feed and photo mode complains....

flitelab

I've not seen how you enable/disable the protune when recording, granted I've not looked too hard yet. Anyone know offhand where you set which mode you want, ie the raw protune or the original type?

EDIT - Never-mind I found it...the option to turn protune off and on is in the "More" section of the settings. The default is off.

Last edited by a moderator:

2tall

Fly Often - Fly Safe
Has anyone tried this with an Android smart phone? Has anyone found the Android AP?