GoPro Hero2 FPV video-out problem when in timelapse mode???

cman319

Hi all,
Just found out that I cannot take timelapse pics with my gopro2 less than every 30seconds because after a few images the video out goes black and stays black!!!
I have a FAST sd card and the gopro is brandnew.
Anybody with the same problem? Very dissapointing since I prefer still images over video but like to fly with my goggles on.
Cman

Bowley

How long is it blank for? mine goes blank for a brief moment after every shot which is why I generally use the 5sec period, mine goes blank for approx 1 sec. I use a 16Gb sandisk SD Card but its only a class 4. Is it still taking shots when the screen goes blank?

cman319

Mine goes blank (black) and stays black after about 5 pics but it keeps taking pics. It does show the OSD info with the camera sign in orange.

It can only be removed by removing the battery.

Now i did some tests and it seems to work if the (gopro) OSD is switched off....

Kilby

You can't use the GoPro as an FPV cam if you are taking photos anyway. Every time a photo is taken, the output will be interrupted. You are basically flying blind at that point, even if only for a second or 2.

Get yourself a second camera and a switch and life will be much happier.

cman319

You are right, a second fpv dedicated camera is the way to go. I had to find out by myself but i am convinced now. I have a few more issues with the hero2, sometimes there are horizontal lines in the pictures. Am not happy with it at all. Maybe the new fatshark hd fpv cam will be better suited for us.

Kilby

You are right, a second fpv dedicated camera is the way to go. I had to find out by myself but i am convinced now. I have a few more issues with the hero2, sometimes there are horizontal lines in the pictures. Am not happy with it at all. Maybe the new fatshark hd fpv cam will be better suited for us.

If you are seeing horizontal lines then you need to either 1.) update the firmware or 2.)send it back for repair. This is a known problem. There was anther user that had the same problem with one of the first GP2's off the assembly line. I can't recall if it was on here, or over at RCG, but they were able to fix it and had no problems afterwards. I use my GP2 all the time and never have a problem.

UPDATE: I found this video on youtube that might shed a bit more light on your problem

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CxUpUQdZKQ

Hope that helps!

-Terry

gadgetkeith

likes gadgets
hi would like to ask a quick question from those who know

is there any difference when buying a gopro ie video settings pal or ntsc

if i buy one next week when in america or wait till i get back home no shops seem to stock them anymore only online ie mail order etc

if all settings can be set in the camera itself would i be better of picking one up whilst in the states

thanks in advance keith

kloner

Aerial DP
my hero2 has either ntsc or pal in the setup screen

I bought hero2 when it first came out and kept getting the timing problem. was in contact with support, they kept telling me to send it in, then would say wait, try the new firmware. 3 versions later, it finaly worked without looking like it was in jail

Was gonna suggest to the op if he hasn't yet, to update the firmware to the latest for best performance.

the hero2 on my quad has a bitchen picture. for only looking at it in SD is unbelievably clear
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzXQoj4LsJs

cman319

Thx all for the fast info. Latest firmware installed but i keep getting purple lines, black lines, menu freezes, osd info not useable. Who ever put the word PRO in GoPro?? And why do we believe them? I will have to do with it for now as I am travelling, grrrrrr....
Ok at least I manage some decent pics at least, here a small Roman amphitheater from above: View attachment 4239

Attachments

• GOPR0429-001.jpg
    GOPR0429-001.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 255

kloner

Aerial DP
if it's within the warranty, they'll take care of ya. sucks for now though, i'm sure. Should start the process now on there site. Takes a day or two between replies. sounds defective

hexacop

HexaCop
my hero2 has either ntsc or pal in the setup screen

I bought hero2 when it first came out and kept getting the timing problem. was in contact with support, they kept telling me to send it in, then would say wait, try the new firmware. 3 versions later, it finaly worked without looking like it was in jail

Was gonna suggest to the op if he hasn't yet, to update the firmware to the latest for best performance.

the hero2 on my quad has a bitchen picture. for only looking at it in SD is unbelievably clear
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzXQoj4LsJs

For sure it has the option to switch PAL/NTSC, when you are in setup go to "More" and then 2 pages further down you will get the option to change it. You can buy the Hero2 where ever you want, there is no difference in terms of firmware or hardware.

cman319

Finally I had the following problems with my GoPro Hero2:
- black lines in photo and video
- purple lines in photo
- video out stopping after a few photos in timelapse mode
- menu freezes (only solved by taking battery out)
- and the worst one: no recording of photos during timelapsing even though from outside it looked it was recording (countdown and red light)
I lost quite a few aerial photo opportunities during travelling because of it and I am not happy. They will replace/repair it though.

Don't rely on it and do some thorough testing before use!!

cman319