Gimbals just got a HUGE help.. could be the perfect video!

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
Yo check this out a box that goes on top of the camera and digitally stabilizes what you are already stabilizing...

I'm thinking add this to a gimbal and get flawless footage!

Link: http://steadxp.com

Last edited by a moderator:

jdennings

How does it work? Record all moves from gyros and accels then use that in post to stabilize? If so brilliant!
(I think the latest AR Drone uses something like this too on integrated lower grade camera).

Downside would be lots of post cropping, (if I got the thing right) but on an existing gimbal as you say this could *the* holy grail ...

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
I think we will have to wait for updates, but I think you got it right.
It probably calculates the horizon and then records any changes to the horizon and acceleration nd probably a host of other data and then applies that to the footage via some kind of time code or ?? My thinking is for handheld cameras this will be awesome, but for footage that is 95%+ stabilized this could get rid of any of the tiny flaws... I am very intrigued!

jdennings

There is some amazing potential for this ... I could see further down the road standards developped and cameras integrating that stuff on board. Heck, even phones, they already have the accels. Then feed to Premier, AE, Imovie or what not, (who "know" about the format, and done!

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
This really could be interesting of it is basically auto-post stabilizing. Takes the annoyance out of lining up straight objects etc (I don't have warp, just internal AE stab from older version).

Pretty cool concept of it works and isn't ridiculously expensive (what's the chance!) :)

jdennings

Given they are going crowdsourcing there may be a chance! That venue typically does not involve obnoxiously priced products ...

kloner

Aerial DP
wonder if it can do anything with micro movements like you would be correcting for on a gimbal..... small vibrations, etc are soaked up by the motors when it works right... wonder what this does with vibes.

it's an awesome OG idea,,,,

WayneMann

I will be very curious to see if sun flares in the lens will be smoothed out. Typically if you have vibrating footage going into Warp Stabilizer the sun flares will still be shaking once the footage has been processed. I can't imagine that this will be any different.

Wayne Mann
www.HeliCamHDmedia.com

jfro

Aerial Fun
Looks pretty interesting. Here is a follow up they did and should be talking their crowd funding soon, it's the 2nd video if you go to the link in Sleepy's first post.

If they have their shots lined up correctly, then it looks like there will be a little crop loss. Shooting on a GH4 in or any camera in 4k and then cropping down to 2k, will be special, if this works as shown. Be interesting to see how long the renders are.

http://vimeo.com/105905316

synrg

Wow! Thanks for sharing. Definitely has my attention. This one could actually be a game changer.

milo12

Sorry but this looks like a scam. First the idea is stupid for anyone serious about their video. You lose detail and spend time doing software stabilization. Second, what do you need this for if you are willing to do software corrections anyway? How stupid do they think we are? You can not do a before and after with this product, it is misleading.

It is easy to throw around a bunch of exaggerations like they do in their promo stuff, that is expected since they are going the crowdfunding route which depends on poorly informed novices throwing money at ideas.

The fact is any gimbal can be software stabilized in post and result in better images since far less of the frame will be lost. And of course any handheld footage can be stabilized in post and give the exact same results this "game changer" claims.

But, they will claim "you don't need to waste money on a gimbal" of course I don't need a gimbal if I am willing to fix it in post and I also don't need a new gadget for the same reason.

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
Wow mello out dude. I don;t think this is a scam. Post editing is basically "guessing" where the horizon is. I am pretty sure that this unit has several sensors in it that helps the video know where the horizon is. Also if you watch the bike video, I think it has an accelorometer in it as well. So then by combining all that data the "footage" will know where the camera was according to the horizon, how fast it was moving, how many G's were being exerted on it and all of that will be calculated o help make the stabilization more natural.

This was an announcement. No one is trying to sell you one. Just getting information out there. If the item works and it works well we will all hear about it. If it fails, well we will find that out as well.

synrg

Thanks for your response Sleepy, but milo12 already knows that it is crap and does not need one hahaha. I for one am a total sucker and look forward to seeing how this scam works. As you mentioned if it is anything like what you described it will be like warp on steroids without cropping. But what do we know?

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I think if it's fairly reasonably priced and acts as an "auto-warp" it could be worthwhile. Of course price and performance will dictate how it does, but at this point I could see it being a valuable tool, and not a scam, if you hit go and walk away, and come back to well corrected video. Time spent in front of a screen belaboring stab correction would be something I'd avoid if I could.

synrg

For the record I do not think it is a scam either and it looks really promising to me. I just found milo12's comments funny and was being sarcastic. Hope that SleepyC keeps posting info as it develops.

Str8 Up

Since its possible to get perfectly smooth footage now, i question the value of this. I haven't had to use warp once in the past year. Production companies don't want the loss in fidelity/cropping/cost in time these systems always have. It is always better to have an image that never moved than one that did, and had a correction applied. I guess for low end work it has its place though.

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
Eventually, we will get to the point where we'll have cameras just taking 360 degree video, and then you just frame and stabilize, with no need for a gimbal. But we're several years off from that, at least for the quality of video you guys want.

I don't see the point of this thing at all. I can't see any reason why it would be any better than image-based post-stab. And quite a lot of reasons it could be a whole lot worse. For one thing, no IMU can be perfect without a GPS input. It will never hold a perfect horizon. This is why AlexMos isn't perfect. And I can't imagine the IMU data being gathered would be higher resolution than what a powerful computer can do by pixel-peeping in post.

Don't throw out your gimbals yet. ;)