GH4 is shipping

kloner

Aerial DP
fd, you recording internal?

one of the first and main things using this handheld was the focus sucked.... but i've also only ever tried using auto focus on one shoot with Hurlbut from fast and furious and that was only cause panasonic was bragging about how well it worked, they wasted half a day shooting from it never really locking in, especialy not on what we wanted it to.

we always set white balance, it makes a HUGE difference, white balance cards are cheap, a whit piece of paper even cheaper but you can't control it like the cards let you warn and cool it

Av8Chuck

Not sure what this was supposed to prove other than you should never shoot in auto white balance. The color balance was off in almost all of the shots. Also if your shooting RAW white balance is not as critical, pick the one that's closest to what you want so you can work with it in the viewfinder and then make the correct adjustment in post.

Im pretty sure it will grow on you once you start to learn what it is good/bad at.
Download a little app called "field tools" to your phone and give hyperfocal distance for focusing a go, infinity settings on lenses are not the way to go.
4K will show up lots of flaws that people have not been used to with HD, everything will have to be that much better.
Think on the bright side, you have a good head start on everyone else, as they haven't even arrived in the UK yet.

You can still have the camera set the exposure even if you want to double the frame rate, just set you shutter to the frame rate you want and use shutter priority and the camera will determine the right f-stop and ISO. Of coarse for aerial I'd think you'd want at least f./8 so all you have to set is ISO anyway so you may as well just set the exposure up manually. Never-mind...

I didn't think people used auto focus at all for aerial?

fdproductions

FD Productions
Question: The title says "GH4 vs GH3 4K Footage Night/1080P Day." How is one supposed to know which is which just watching the video? Its a series of rapid shots strung together with no indication which camera took the footage.

all the night shots were taken on the GH4 all the day shots were taken on the GH3.

Download a little app called "field tools" to your phone and give hyperfocal distance for focusing a go, infinity settings on lenses are not the way to go.
4K will show up lots of flaws that people have not been used to with HD, everything will have to be that much better.
Think on the bright side, you have a good head start on everyone else, as they haven't even arrived in the UK yet.

excellent suggestion, downloaded.

fdproductions

FD Productions
kloner, yes i am. will get in the practice of doing so. yeah i figured out my focus issue though i turned quick focus off af+mf off as well. had to match my gh3 settings to the t.

kloner

Aerial DP
I'm on all manual lenses.....

My camera showed up but it's so hot i started friday night a little early and don't care anymore, hahaha, i'll check it out when the sun comes back around and it's cooler outside.

Were having a small get together at the beach sunday, will get this thing in the sky and check it out under the jib. It's all pretty familliar, lots of new stuff in teh menu, love it so far. Got some u3 memory cards....

Gotta figure out how to get the high frame rates we were talking about, all i see is 60p.... the way we used to slow em down doesn't exist anymore, anybody know how to get the 1080 96fps i heard it'd do?

Last edited by a moderator:

Quinton

Gotta figure out how to get the high frame rates we were talking about, all i see is 60p.... the way we used to slow em down doesn't exist anymore, anybody know how to get the 1080 96fps i heard it'd do?
Looked up page 193 onwards of manual but yeah it was quite confusing, here is a video of how to do it..
This is a really cool camera, now just need to get hands on it :)

Came from this link..
http://cheesycam.com/how-to-choose-slow-motion-or-fast-motion-frame-rates-on-panasonic-gh4/

Last edited by a moderator:

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
gotta say, i love reading what everyone has to say about this stuff. i get a lot of it but there's a lot more i still have to figure out.

kloner

Aerial DP
thanks quinton, i wasn't getting the part about only certain modes have it available, now it's just like gh3 with an easy button to turn it on and off.....

SoCal Blur

So have you guys had the GH4 long enough to determine if it's the way to go for aerial HD/4K video? Anyone planning on writing a review from a MR operator point of view?

fdproductions

FD Productions
i looked at that and thought, "isn't that Kloner?"

nice! lol, not going to lie it was kind of stressful to try to track kloner so i just zoomed in 400% lol to make it look like I had him centered up in my frame lol! only issue is the lack of availability of a mini to micro hdmi converter :/ the ones from china are too long and hit the gimbals arm... need to make a 90 degree swivel mount version to avoid contact.

SoCal Blur

Quinton

I got an email this morning from Wex Photography that the GH4 is now in stock in the UK, unfortunately Im not home until next week to pick it up :(

BTW the GH4 will look a lot sharper as it adds sharpening in camera by default when its set at zero.

mine shipped from wex in germany today

any idea if the sandisk extrem pro work with it? the ones that work with raw on the Pocket camera

kloner

Aerial DP
we had it record a whole gig in 4k with that chip...... pre production.... i remember seeing 3 takes not record out of 60....

i'm on u3 now

kloner

Aerial DP
today i took it out to record a timelaps and it locked up with u3..... there was a sd icon in red with an arrow pointing right. Tried stopping it and locked up, had to remove the battery.... it did all kinds of weird stuff, had set to raw only, it shot raw/jpg. hmmmm, i'll mark that up to whatever since i reset and tried again and worked. None the less, saw it happen.

I'm curious since this is my only slr type camera i've used, is the way when in video mode and you make changes it shows up on the screen vs when in any other mode and the changes only show after you press the button normal, me, suppose to live with it or do i have something not turned on that i don't understand?