GH4 is shipping

a few days with the gh4 and a first flight...crazy good camera..but not perfect

4k so much better on this camera...its almost like they made a mistake...4k too good or 1080 too bad
if you crop 4k to 1080 and compare it to 1080 with 200mbit ..its like the original 1080 is out of fokus and nasty digital looking
you can never go back and shoot 1080 with beeing happy about it ..this sounds stupid I know
but I really wished for a camera with 60p and the quality like the Pocket camera
auto-focus is pretty bad on video...not good for gimbal work
would love to have Lanc and more controle over the rc input
and the crop in 4k is big...will be hard to find wide angle lenses

Quinton

a few days with the gh4 and a first flight...crazy good camera..but not perfect

4k so much better on this camera...its almost like they made a mistake...4k too good or 1080 too bad
if you crop 4k to 1080 and compare it to 1080 with 200mbit ..its like the original 1080 is out of fokus and nasty digital looking
you can never go back and shoot 1080 with beeing happy about it ..this sounds stupid I know
but I really wished for a camera with 60p and the quality like the Pocket camera
auto-focus is pretty bad on video...not good for gimbal work
would love to have Lanc and more controle over the rc input
and the crop in 4k is big...will be hard to find wide angle lenses

Your kidding right, show me any camera with good autofocus?
Hard to find wide angles? You have loads of choice, you don't get much wider than Panasonic 7-14mm F4 as a quick example.
The closest thing to this camera on the market is the Canon 1DC and that was recently reduced to $10k, nothing comes close to the GH4 at this time, and I love Canon cameras/lenses.
I admit ISO capability is pretty bad, but other than that, this camera is at this time something special.

you got me wrong...the gh4 is insane in 4k...so insane its hard to go back and and shoot 1080

autofocus in video mode is really not as good as other cameras on the market, like canon and sony
its ultra fast and reliable on photo though...so I hope they improve this via firmware

I have the 7-14, but its f4 , and the gh4 need wide open aperture really bad
i would prefer lightweight primes...I hope the new kowas are shipping soon
anybody can think of a good combination with aspeedboster?

Quinton

you got me wrong...the gh4 is insane in 4k...so insane its hard to go back and and shoot 1080

autofocus in video mode is really not as good as other cameras on the market, like canon and sony
its ultra fast and reliable on photo though...so I hope they improve this via firmware

I have the 7-14, but its f4 , and the gh4 need wide open aperture really bad
i would prefer lightweight primes...I hope the new kowas are shipping soon
anybody can think of a good combination with aspeedboster?

I don't think they will be able to improve the autofocus as they are still using contrast detection, and it will hunt for focus.
I just got the Canon C100 back this week after getting the Dual Pixel Focus Firmware added to it, and it is a real joy to use with autofocus compared to other cameras now.
I agree that it does require really fast lenses, as I had it out last night at a party, and it wasn't great in low light and I had a 1.4 on it, I was afraid to go past ISO 800.

Depends what lenses you already have to use with the Speedbooster and what you want to use them for.
Lens wise, there should be plenty to choose from without an adapter for wider angles..

Top ones being 17.5mm 0.95 Voigtlander, even the 25mm f0.95, then you have the panasonic 12-35 f2.8 which is parfocal and comes with image stabilisation.
You also have Panasonic 14mm 2.5, and the 25mm 1.4
Olympus you have Olympus M.Zuiko 12mm f/2 or the 14-35 F2

Looking something a bit cheaper the 7.5mm rokinon/samyang.
You could even go for any of the SLR Magic Hyperprimes like the 12mm F1.6

thanks for info
ideally it would be for the air
so less then 200g and a short design would be good
the kowa 8mm c-mount (which I use on the pocket) actually fits the 4k crop...but in 4k I really want it to be sharp in the corners
it didnt bother me on the pocket ...but on the gh4 it looks not good
I used the 12mm olympus today...probably the best for the air so far

kloner

Aerial DP
my goto lens on the gh3 and even more so now with gh4 for video is the voigtlander 17.5 f.95..... it is hard to shoot with anything else....

We have the 12-35 f2.8 and its alright. 14-140 is too slow.... like you mentioned 7-14 is slow and i have the rokinon cinelens with t2.2 but it's crappy comparred to the voigt, full infinite focus isn't infinite but it's a decent glass.

don't have anything super nice done with the gh4 aerial so far, still sorting my live feed and were two man.

Rokinon skip forward to 1:00+

voigtlander

voigtlander

Last edited by a moderator:

Quinton

You really do need the fastest lenses you can get when shooting on cropped sensors, especially he BMPCC as theres a lot less light compared to full frame.
Its just a pity the better lenses are so heavy.
Hopefully metabones will come up with a speedbooster at some stage for EF lenses for m4/3.

Quinton

Doesn't the Metabones Speedbooster work with the GH4?

A Panasonic rep at NAB said that it did.

There are ones available for the GH4 but they do not support Canon EF lenses, at least not that I am aware of.
There are a few on ebay not from metabones, but you have no electronic control over the lens.

kloner

Aerial DP
that's the downside to the available fastest lenses now, all manual, not bad for aerials though

lumix 7-14 on gh3,,, still sharp just not the same

Last edited by a moderator:

Quinton

Seen a very interesting thing earlier on regarding fast lenses and non full frame cameras, basically how you get a true f number for a lens is take the lens focal length, and divide it by the size that the aperture opens, and it will give you the true aperture of a lens.
In other words a 0.95 lens is actually really an f1.9 compared if it was on a full frame camera.
It makes a lot of sense as the focal length on the GH cameras are cropped x2, so really the focal length doubles, but the width the aperture opens remains unchanged, so there is much less light getting through.
Ill have to have a look to see if I can find it.
Makes 100% complete sense though, my Canon 85mm f1.2 lens is the size of a grapefruit, how can M4/3 lens makers claim that its F0.95 in such a small lens, its just not possible as these lenses do not fit on full frame sensors.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
But like you said it's a ratio, not the size of the lens. Look at the iphone which has an amazing 2.8 lens. And the next gen Iphone 6 is supposed to have a 2.0. I still dont see why you want to shoot wide open though in aerials as you have a shallower DOF which is very hard to control. Unless it was darker out of course.

Quinton

But like you said it's a ratio, not the size of the lens. Look at the iphone which has an amazing 2.8 lens. And the next gen Iphone 6 is supposed to have a 2.0. I still dont see why you want to shoot wide open though in aerials as you have a shallower DOF which is very hard to control. Unless it was darker out of course.

Yes but what size is the sensor it is shooting onto, the F2 or F2.8 is really a marketing gimmick (bit like 4k phones), you will not get a shallow depth of field on a phone camera.
Does shallow depth of field really come into it much when you are flying as you are quite far away, and the wide angle lenses you use will usually have everything in focus anyhow, it would be quite different if you were using say an 85mm lens for example and shooting close to a subject.

A lenses sweet spot (as kloner may say) is around 1-2 stops above wide open, and remember you will probably have a 2 or 3 stop filter on it to keep the frame rate to 1/50th on a bright day too.
Add in the doubling of the f-stop lens for 2x crop, even more if using the BMPCC, and you are probably shooting at least f5.6 or f8 really anyhow.

I think you also have to take into account that a smaller chip size needs lees light then a bigger size
thats why the speed booster actually makes a lens brighter...you collect all the light from the lens and concentrate it on a smaller surface

Quinton

I think you also have to take into account that a smaller chip size needs lees light then a bigger size
thats why the speed booster actually makes a lens brighter...you collect all the light from the lens and concentrate it on a smaller surface

Well thats another story as you then have pixels per mm, however I found the link, it is actually a really good read/watch if you can get all the way through it.
Now I see that its turning into quite a debate since it was put online.

http://www.canonwatch.com/sony-olympus-panasonic-cheat-customers-crop-factor-iso-aperture/

Drifter3060

Is there a way to record 24 or 23.98 but have the HDMI out as 29.97? Trying to transmit SD from my aerial rig but it will only work when I shot 4k @ 30 not 24

I dont think the camera would be abel to have output and recording in different frame rates
but I thought the sd output only works when the camera is in playback mode
did you get to send a picture when recording 4k?

kloner

Aerial DP
well the av out only transmits when you replay,,,, not live so that's out. all we got left is to sort out the hdmi to play with our hdmi converters. was playing with it all yesterday and saw that on "setup" has a TV connection setting that lets you choose 1080i to 4kp..... that's where i think we went wrong earlier, 1080i is all these converters can handle with gh3 so i bet this is the same. Trying it again tomorrow....