GH3, HDMI out working, but not via a converter

jcmonty

jcmonty I got a similar one from amazon today. I will try it out tonite and tell you. If you want to go sure and get one that works with the gh3 try the one from kopterworx. No external power needed !

Boris

Sounds good, interested to hear your results.

I ordered this one from Amazon and it does NOT work with the GH3: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0080KN18K/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have a much larger HDMI converter working so I can isolate this new converter as the problem. Also when powered either by the usb power or by HDMI directly a blue light inside turns on, and I see a vertical color pattern on my monitor, so I know the HDMI converter is powering on. I tried all HDMI output modes including auto on the GH3, and multiple HDMI cables, and nothing worked.

I also ordered the Freefly version and was disappointed to see that it came with a medium thickness mini HDMI to mini HDMI cable. The Hyperthin cable is way thinner and more flexible, much better for brushless gimbals, but it only comes in HDMI -> HDMI mini, which would be perfect if the Freefly used a regular HDMI input like every other converter. But since it uses mini input I'll need to use another regular to mini converter making the Freefly converter almost as big and bulky as my $20 ebay converter.

tombrown1

Try powering the converter with a lipo. Mine wouldn't work until I did that, even though I also previously had a light on the converter signifying it was supposed to be powered.

Tombrown1, can you clarify exactly what you mean? Did you power the converter using a Lipo with BEC dropped down to 5v into the USB power port on the board?

Nreim1

I am using a freefly converter and im having the problem still, it works when I plug the hdmi into the tv directly but not when I plug it into the converter and then the mondo stinger TX. Any other fixes?

tom@FlyBy

Hi guys! I figured out a work around for this after trying a few different solutions. Actually just wrote a blog post about it today.

The problem with the HDMI-2-AV from amazon is that it throws out a crazy amount of RF noise... it completely overruns the GPS and control in relatively short range. Anyways, I cover some of that in the post, read below!

http://flybyap.com/solution-for-faulty-hdmi-to-av-board-on-dji-zenmuse-gh3/

EDIT: Website updated and link no longer works. This converter is what you want. http://kopterworx.com/hdmi-to-av-converter-mini.html

Last edited by a moderator:

StrongProds

New User with the same issue. How the hell do I get video from my GH3 through the white Amazon HDMI to AV converter to a boscam TX to my LCD diversity monitor. My GH3 playback is set to 1080i. I have the hyperthin mini HDMI to HDMI cable plugged into the GH3 to the Amazon converter and I'm running the usb cable from my laptop to the converter for extra power 5volt. Then using a spliced RCA cable from the converter to my TV and I get no picture. Any suggestions?

I will pay someone to help me figure out what is wrong! I've tried everything (at least I think I have)

dazzab

tom@FlyBy

That's the only converter I've bought that didn't work at all. From what I could see when comparing it to one I bought from Amazon, it's the same exact board that they sell for $15. It's quite simple to remove the case and the RC connectors to save yourself some money.

Did you try to supply 5v power? I have a bunch of these on different setups and they have worked well. I've burned one out but no issues otherwise.

I've tried a similar board from amazon but it was very different. If what you're saying is right then that's a great deal. I'll have to order one to try it out. Thanks!

StrongProds

Since I couldn't get the Amazon white HDMI/AV converter to work I ordered the Kopterworks product but I still want to be able to use the less expensive version. Does anyone have a link to a thread or a website that explains the process in detail? I would like to make some back-ups of the less expensive variety. Hell, I'll make some and offer them for sale for cost + shipping to help others with the same frustrating issues. Yes I did power via 5V.