GH3, HDMI out working, but not via a converter

Hi all.

I'm having a problem with my new GH3. I can connect the camera directly to the monitor via a HDMI-cable, but when I add a HDMI-converter I suddenly lose the signal. The weird thing is that I can view the playback menu, but not the live feed. I have tried to go through the menus, but I cant find anything. Got a tip from a store that I had to use the USB-AV cable, so I ordered that, and that too can only show the playback menu.

Anyone have any experiences with this? Its really annoying not being able to fly this thing, and I haven't gotten a pure HDMI sender yet.
This is the first camera I am experiencing this with, the 5D and the Red Epic have no problems using the same converter.

Best,

Robin Opgård
www.rotorcinema.no

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
As far as i remember you can switch between I & P output did you change. Your converter probably wants 1080I ! Zenmuse HDMI converter for example won't work when the GH3 is set to 1080p out.

This has nothing to do with you actual record setting. Its a separate point in the settings.

Boris

As far as i remember you can switch between I & P output did you change. Your converter probably wants 1080I ! Zenmuse HDMI converter for example won't work when the GH3 is set to 1080p out.

This has nothing to do with you actual record setting. Its a separate point in the settings.

Boris

Thanks Boris, but this unfortunately did not help. I have tried every output-setting, both I and P, but no apparent difference. Any other thoughts?
Everything works while in the playback menu.

Robin

Well thats what the HDMI converters are for. To convert your digital signal to analog, when there is no native analog output. At least I would think so.

Have anyone tried using a converter on the GH3, or is everyone using Paralinx nowadays?

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
eh the Gh3 has AV out ! and yes i am using it with a HDMI converter on my Zenmuse !

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
So if you were using the output just for reference/framing you could use the av out and still record in 1080/60p right? It's not like you're broadcasting HD anyways. I know the gh2 had AV out but I didnt know if they got rid of it like most newer cameras.

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Iris never checked what the AV is really putting out. I don't even have the cable for it. It never came with the cam. The only thing knowing hat i am using a HDMI converter was checking if i can record in p and have I out. Which didn't work with the GH2 before. At the moment were you would have hooked up anything to the HDMI of the GH2 you would have gotten 1080I out and 1080I recording.

Another thing that didn't work with the Gh2 was AV out live preview during recording. You would have started recording and that was it for any AV output.

Boris

Could it be that my converter is acting up? I am really not sure where the problem is. The converter I am using works on both the Epic and Canon 5/7D. So it can at least convert those signals. I wouldn't think the GH3 has some other signals that my converter cant take. Or is it my GH3? Though it is weird that it works when directly connected to the monitor. As I said I have tried 1080I/P, but without any luck.

I am really clueless whether its the converter or the GH3.

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Could it be that my converter is acting up? I am really not sure where the problem is. The converter I am using works on both the Epic and Canon 5/7D. So it can at least convert those signals. I wouldn't think the GH3 has some other signals that my converter cant take. Or is it my GH3? Though it is weird that it works when directly connected to the monitor. As I said I have tried 1080I/P, but without any luck.

I am really clueless whether its the converter or the GH3.

I remember that some had issue with the GH2 Hmdi out. Not working on some converters that other cams worked with. Do you have a gh2 at hand to try it out ? If both don't work it could be a gh* hdmi out specific one.

Boris

I remember that some had issue with the GH2 Hmdi out. Not working on some converters that other cams worked with. Do you have a gh2 at hand to try it out ? If both don't work it could be a gh* hdmi out specific one.

Boris

I dont have one at hand, but I will go by a store tomorrow to see if I can test it there. Thanks for all the help so far!

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
One thought that came up is the power to the HDMI converter. Mine will work without the usb power source but not as well if you power it via the usb. On that note, in the past I have bench tested equipment using transformers with low mw output which was enough to show the power light go on but not enough to make things actually work.

There has to be someone with a GH3 out there that can test these few simple things!

One thought that came up is the power to the HDMI converter. Mine will work without the usb power source but not as well if you power it via the usb. On that note, in the past I have bench tested equipment using transformers with low mw output which was enough to show the power light go on but not enough to make things actually work.

There has to be someone with a GH3 out there that can test these few simple things!

The playback works through the HDMI converter, so I'm assuming it has the power it needs. So I dont think that is the problem :)

The gf3 will not output live video from the composite out via the usb av cable while recording. I don't know if this limitation exists with the hdmi output as I haven't tested that yet. There is a hack being developed by a Russian fellow that I have hope will resolve this limitation. I don't have the link to his development forum but if you do a search for gf3 hack you will find his site. My fix for the moment is to use a small board camera mounted to my gimble with the lcd viewfinder framed up. This allows me to see what the camera sees albeit poor quality.

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
as far as my test go HDMI puts out live view also during record, you can choose live view out I or P and record I or P etc. Concering the Live out AV if it doesnt work hmmm it will be a troublesome road for the hack, they already didn't make it for the GH2, ad far as I know

Boris

Ok, so I got picture!

The problem was the HDMI converter. Somehow the GH3 outputs a different HDMI signal than all the other cameras I have tested, and my converter couldn't handle it. I tested with the Freefly HDMI converter, and it worked perfectly. So if anyone is having the same problems, buy that! It´s also a lot smaller than the old one I had, so thats nice :)

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
jcmonty I got a similar one from amazon today. I will try it out tonite and tell you. If you want to go sure and get one that works with the gh3 try the one from kopterworx. No external power needed !

Boris

tombrown1

I also had a really strange issue with an HDMI converter - I don't remember exactly what it was - but it was fixed when I powered it directly from a lipo. I didn't think that was going to fix anything, but it did.

Glad you got it to work.

TB