Geotagging Images for 3D Models

RC Flying

A Drone Mind
I'm just wondering if anyone has done this before, and what they used if they did. I thought it would be pretty straight forward, but the more I look into it the more mind boggling it seems to be. I have a Canon 5D or Sony Nex5 with a DJI Wookong and iOSD, but think you also need the datalink and ground station to achieve what I want, and even then it's a total pain to get it to work.

I'm wondering if some separate device might be better, but I don't know which ones are god and which ones are useless. Any info, especially from peeps already doing this, would be great.

RC Flying

A Drone Mind
Turns out that the Phantom 2 Vision does this, which is odd because I asked a couple of place who sell these if they have any machines that geotag photos and they said no, or they weren't sure. Still, I can't really afford 800 quid just to dabble in geotagging and model making. Please can someone just give me their Phantom 2 Vision, you must be bored of it by now?

kloner

Aerial DP
have you seen the autocad offering for 3d renderings from video? It's pretty dope

Last edited by a moderator:

WheresWaldo

Here was the oldschool way of geotagging. Just get a GPS datalogger. Small battery operated and sticky tape it to the quad. Start it up before you do anything else. The only real preparation is that your camera must be set to the correct time. Most dataloggers will come with a windows program that will download the datastream, post flight, then match the timestamp on the NMEA data to the timestamps on the file, then add the EXIF data to the image files.

This was what we used to do back in the early days of digital photography when we didn't have all these fancy smart phones with GPS built in.

RC Flying

A Drone Mind
I'm not even sure what that's doing, is it some kind of geophysics thing?

@wherewaldo, there aren't that many more options now. I'm going to try the old school way first anyway, with an Amod AGL3080 GPS Data Logger.

It's quite exciting really, trying something new besides just taking pictures and videos. I've never really done any mission planning stuff with the DJI GS before either.

kloner

Aerial DP
it is an APM in the yellow case data logging along with that e filed sensor that is logging to a dac,,, the data from both gets meshed like he mentioned....

Mojave

Bloody hell, that's pretty cool. Is that all without any GPS info etc?

This is bloody cool. I just read up on this and no GPS is required, just overlaping photos. Autodesk Reality Capture (ReCap) is like stitching a panorama photo series with a 3D aspect.
Here is a link to the technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYM7uZeiXH0

Here is a link of an octocopter taking an image set: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E665_S-VCqc#t=357

Looks like a business opportunity to me! Also looks like an insurance nightmare in urban situations.