Tau Labs FPV set up with CC

Kilby

Ok, so I have my tricopter flying FPV pretty well with the new CopterControl board. Just made this quick video today at a new park my fiance took me to. It's a great spot actually that even had electrical outlets & a big pavilion. I can't wait to go back here to fly some more!

Last edited by a moderator:

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Nice one Kilby.. did you configure the board on a MAc or did you have to revert to PC in the end? I

CopterCam

Ok, so I have my tricopter flying FPV pretty well with the new CopterControl board. Just made this quick video today at a new park my fiance took me to. It's a great spot actually that even had electrical outlets & a big pavilion. I can't wait to go back here to fly some more!

Nice Tri. and a great place to fly.......... is the Vignetting on the image a function of the GoPro, lense or processing ?

Haven't come across that before on GoPro video ?

Sid

Last edited by a moderator:

juz

FPV pilot
Hey kool..looks like a stable setup. Can i ask you what those motors are? Oh, and you gotta fly thru that pavilion next time..;)

Kilby

Droider... I'm running the PC version from 522 in Fusion on the Mac. Works fine, but I plan on upgrading to the latest & greatest sometime next week.

Sid... The effect was put in during post. I used iMovie and was able to add the effect that way.

Juz... Those are the RCTimer 750kv motors. I think I'm having trouble with one of them though and am looking for better replacements now.

Crash

Defies Psychics
Droider... I'm running the PC version from 522 in Fusion on the Mac. Works fine, but I plan on upgrading to the latest & greatest sometime next week.

Sid... The effect was put in during post. I used iMovie and was able to add the effect that way.

Juz... Those are the RCTimer 750kv motors. I think I'm having trouble with one of them though and am looking for better replacements now.

Cut the heatshrink at the motor. Their soldering is extremely poor.

Attachments

• screenshot.357.jpg
    screenshot.357.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 182

Kilby

Crash, the problem I'm having with the RCTimers is that one of them seems to have less power than the other 2 at lower battery levels. With a full battery I can hit the gas and it goes straight up no problem, but after a few minutes of flight if I throttle up quickly the front left motor seems to respond much slower and it can almost cause it to flip over. It also starts to require a lot more aileron trim as the battery drains more. I've narrowed it down to the one motor for sure, but I'm going to swap it out and make sure there isn't a problem with ESC first. Then if the problem persists, I'll put some new motors on and see what happens.

Speaking of which, I have some larger RCTimer motors just laying around I was thinking of trying out, but not sure if they will be to powerfull. They are the same size as what I'm using now, but 1300kv instead of the 750kv. Anyone care to take a guess if they would work with the CopterControl board?

dankers

I'm guessing they will work, I know we have had some Quads flying with 2000kv motors as well, CC is fairly good at being flexible with motors and ESCs.

Flying very nice. Do you have a second camera on there for the FPV? I didn't see a cable out of your GoPro.

Yeah let me know if you have issues with the latest mac version. I remember you had a weird error about a plugin not being found which we may have to track down. There might be an issue that I can't catch since I have QT installed. PM me on the OP forums to get my attention if so, cause I want that to work.

Kilby

Hey peabody. Yup, I have a small Sony CCD positioned under the main body.

I'll let you know how it goes with the Mac version. I probably won't have time to get to it till next week though... I'm getting married on Saturday and I was already told that I have to put the helicopters down for a few days while we get married. ;-)

Crash

Defies Psychics
Hey peabody. Yup, I have a small Sony CCD positioned under the main body.

I'll let you know how it goes with the Mac version. I probably won't have time to get to it till next week though... I'm getting married on Saturday and I was already told that I have to put the helicopters down for a few days while we get married. ;-)

I think aerial FPV video of the wedding is exempt. You could be the first person to get married with a pair of FPV goggles on. :)

Kilby

I was actually thinking of having one of the guys from the board come down and do some aerial photography of the event. We have a hot air balloon and are saying our vows balloon side just before take off. The balloon pilot was a little bugged out by the idea though so I had to can that. I'll still have a GoPro mounted to the side of the basket though. ;-)

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
I just set up my CC board with the latest MAC version.. got the library fault but did not seem to make any difference.. The old version did not work past channel selection. The new one is fine apart from the initial library error message. I will post my NEW FPV quad build soon with the whole truth and the nitty gritty!

Kilby have a really good day and all the very best to you both... did you say your intended is a sculputeress?

Ill pm you some stuff from German she may be interested in.. I was blown away by it.. and I dont do that kinda art!

DAve

Macsgrafs

I was actually thinking of having one of the guys from the board come down and do some aerial photography of the event. We have a hot air balloon and are saying our vows balloon side just before take off. The balloon pilot was a little bugged out by the idea though so I had to can that. I'll still have a GoPro mounted to the side of the basket though. ;-)

I so wish you had 2 x gopro's....one lokking across the basket with you both in shot & a great backdrop & another lokking down from the basket at 45 degrees or so, great for a wedding video, 3 gopro's even better. Now if I lived near you I would lend you my gopro for your big day. Enjoy it, its your day as well dont forget ;)

Ross