Flip of death

So far the FOD affects all versions of S800 with the Wkm. If you are using an old firmware version and a different frame you are safe to fly.

Dewster

Flip of death could be caused by an ESC solder joint shorting or coming unsoldered in flight. The most common cause of crashes are props breaking. Don't use DJI props. Go with Graupners or APC props. APC props are so much more forgiving. They flex and won't self destruct like some of the DJI props. The Graupners are expensive and worth every penny. They are quieter, stiffer, and have larger hubs connecting the props. I haven't heard any bad things about Graupners. Props are probably the cheapest part on your craft and will cost you a lot if one breaks. Invest wisely.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I hope this video goes viral. The lesson to be learned here is to always film yourself flying so you can back your request for a warranty with it. So happy to not have a Wookong! That would seriously piss me off if that happened to me. My friend who has the s800/zenmuse said he is afraid to take jobs because of all the erratic behavior. I got 2 words for you guys that are tired of worrying if there is too much MSG in your order to go.....HOVER-FLY.

kloner

Aerial DP
this must be the new style sattelite with the new firmware. man, that zenmeuse rolling around, arms and frame all blown apart... what is that, $5-$6k?

i kept rewinding it and my wifes all whats that noise, said $8k being thrown at the ground, sounds bitchen don't it... she rolled her eyes

that guy was right up in there with that thing. When it pitched up at him, i've been there, worst feeling ever

Walky000

First time I had seen that after reading about the FOD. Scary and expensive stuff. I think my Skyjib just earned a Hover-fly

fritz99

I had a FOD yesterday before I red this anouncement from DJI.
S800, zenmuse and NEX 5n.

Zenumse is broken.
I could repair the S800.

I hope DJI will replace the broken zenmuse !

Fritz

DesJardins

Not sure of it's better to talk to your dealer or DJI direct via CustomerService.

By email they did ok the replace one of my Naza compass units that wouldn't lock on satellites for crap, forwarded that to my dealer and he took care of me immediately.

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Not unexplained at all to anyone that is fully familiar with DJI Wookong-m controllers. If you notice in the video the LED is flashing multiple white flashes which is an indication that the IMU is picking up serious vibrations, I believe in manual the recommendation is to land and fix the problem if you see this happening. Ignoring that warning can result in exactly what you see in the video, RTFM and understand what the LED is telling you, ignore it at your own expense.

Had that been my S800 I sure as H**l would have put it on the ground as soon as I started seeing white flashes in a hover. I occasionally see them on my CS6 when I make hard direction changes in which case I stop and let it hover a couple feet off the ground until it recovers or land if it persists, continuing to fly in that condition is asking for trouble. Seeing it happening while hovering is a sure sign something is seriously out of whack and that the owner/pilot hasn't a clue about what the system he's flying is trying to tell him. Not ncessarily a case of pilot error though it could be classified as that, but more likely a case of assembler error and not mounting the WKM IMU correctly.

Ken

kloner

Aerial DP
whites, reds, oranges, thing wasn't acting right at all.......

Lesson learned,,,,,,,,Why you want to start with something small and work your way up. $500 looking like that is so much easier to take

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
whites, reds, oranges, thing wasn't acting right at all.......

Which is all the more reason to land it and figure out what is going on rather than keep flying it, they rarely fix themselves when something like this happens so keeping it in the air just provides more Youtube entertainment.

Ken

Dewster

This only makes me think that it's necessary to use vibration absorbing padding for the IMU. I think it's amazing how the craft flies steady despite the white lights and then goes ballistic. I guess we should fear the white light.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I have had the white light come on before mid flight and nothing ever happened. But if something did happen I would NOT have been able to land it in time to prevent what occurred in that video. If the settings are that off it should not be allowed to even take-off! Ken you may be right in saying that one should land immediately and that it was a build error but the fact that so many users are posting accidents like this is enough to tell me something is wrong with DJI's work flow, firmware or hardware. All that guy was doing was hovering in one spot, why would a flashing white light come on and make the heli to shoot at the pilot spontaneously like that? It is good the props stopped spinning when it hit the ground. Never good to have those things spinning full throttle with broken props on the ground.

Last edited by a moderator:

kloner

Aerial DP
in the manual it says that constant white flash is to land....... it did it most of the time..... an every so often flash aint bad but that one is different....