Multirotor Pylon Racing

Efliernz

Pete
My first real practice... blowing 15mph. This is a heap of fun. I'm looking forward to trying in in no wind...

Pete

Last edited by a moderator:

matwelli

Great stuff Pete, some close calls with the grass - for a few laps i thought you had forgotten it was figure 8 racing, those last few laps had some aggressive turns :)

I think i have everyones videos here so far

https://racingmultirotors.wordpress.com/

6 so far :) from 3 different forums

Efliernz

Pete
Another go. i didn't hit the ground this time... but the damn wind keeps blowing.

Pete

matwelli

Great stuff Pete. I admire your dedication in this wind ! I'm hopeing it lets off for a few minutes tomorrow so I can get a run in

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2

Efliernz

Pete
30kt gusts today. I have a photoshoot to do... down town! Well that aint gunna happen!

My 3S batteries are old (most things I fly on 4S or 6S) and are struggling. My only decent 3S batt is 3300 and heavy. It gets bogged-down in the turns with the wind if I'm not careful. Add a Gopro on-board and it is no wonder it takes 2 1/2 seconds to flip!

I can see a sub-50 definitely possible here with no wind (or kids in they way). I am really enjoying having a disposable quad to have with fun again.

Pete

matwelli

Sucks about the photo shoot.

I actually used the wind to my advantage today, spent a couple of batteries tuning in a new vtail - found that in wind, I actually needed more gain, not less.

What's the weight of your quad ? Mine is about 1100 grams ( without go pro) and drawing 130 watts to hover. Might need to get a key chain camera

Efliernz

Pete
I'll weigh it tomorrow. I did a handling demo this arvo in 60km wind! Still in one piece. It got blown miles in the loop!

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Matt,

Nice little exercise you've got going. I'll have to try to get out this week to have a go at it myself. It's interesting that you've standardized on a cricket course, I've been kicking around ideas for the next contest and figured the world standard for exercise space is a football (aka soccer, I know, I know, it's not soccer!) field. It'll be a similar trials format with best times winning the contest and the onboard video being the submission format. It's nice to see you've got everyone warming up for it!

Bart

matwelli

Sounds good Bart, i just know my eyesite wouldnt work over the 100 meters of a football field (unless i get A into G and hook my FPV ear up), i found the cricket pitch is in my comfort zone, and the continual turning keeps the thumbs active and the speed down

looking forward to a non-photography contest :)

matwelli

Cant believe its been two weeks since my last flight - damn weather

new vtail built (one im going to use for FPV - no landing gear !)

is underpowered for this, throttle was pegged for the run and more than say 30 deg pitch and it would loose height, worse was on the downwind corner (wind was blowing from my right) as it would really loose height or stall, at the end of the vid is a couple of crashes.

thinking about it (without swapping motors) is i only supply 90% max throttle to the front motors, doing the math, this is 81% of available power, so i am going to crank it up to the MAX and rely on roll correction from only the motor that loses power when asked to roll.

she weighs 1150 grams or so with the go-pro onboard - should swap that to a keychain camera

Efliernz

Pete
Sub-50 seconds tonight!

Quad weight - 1Kg without Gopro or 3S3300! I must be up at 1.5Kg :livid:
I think a smaller battery and keychain camera...

Pete

matwelli

Way to go Pete ! loving this competition, need a few more players tho......

thats two in the SUB 50 category , need to up my game :)

matwelli

I dont know about the rest, but in my case , i have not. the motors are marginal at this weight, so not sure that i could

The fronts are running 10 by 3.8 apc's so swapping to some 10 by 4.5 epp's may be worth a go.

I think my previous vtail, in my first video, flew faster with less power, i had the front and rear motors angled forward at 30 deg, so when flying forward, she was level = less drag (looked funny when hovering)

Efliernz

Pete
No photo with me at work... but my quad is an X of 18mm sq pine from the hardware store (with fluro green and otange poster paint) with 1.5mm HK carbon sheet top and bottom with a $25 KK2 board. 4 x RcTimer 75g 750Kv motors + APC 10x4.7 props with 3S3300 pack. The u/c is a Trex700 pair of nylon legs without the skids ('cause they snapped when it cartwheeled the other day). I have a 30mm wide G10 "deck" between the front two arms where the Gopro (without housing) get strapped underneath.

Don't get much more basic than that! My batteries are getting old. If I change to a keychain camera and 3S2200, I'll shave at least 200g off the weight. I might have to go and buy 1 battery from my lhs just for the comp! No rush tho... our spring gail-force westerly is back for the week.

The best side of this is how much my flying has improved in the last 2 weeks. When you only fly AP in stabilized mode... you get lazy! I did a demo with my quad to mate on Saturday with the wind blowing 40km - gusting to 60km. It created the most awesomely large 2 1/2 second loop!

Pete

matwelli

Enjoy - from team drop bear in Australia, raced seperately around same course, then edited together

matwelli

Warthox entry

Warthox has stepped up to the plate, and shaved 11 seconds of the best time !