Flight Tips for new pilots

So, I've been playing around with some toys (walkera ladybird & estes cockroach) both super fun. Bought them to get used to transmitter sticks so I could get used to what they do. I have a few builds going on, but I don't intend on flying anything until I fully understand what's going on, read and understood all manuals and have at least proficient manual flying skills in case I have to recover a flyaway.

I have heard that the gps will fail eventually and to be ready for it. Kinda scary, that's why nothing will fly til I'm a bit more comfortable all the way around.

In the meantime with the toys, I'm noticing some things that may seem obvious to the veteran pilots, but still perplexing to me. I'm not sure if they are multi-rotor wide traits, or if they are craft specific.

I think it would be helpful to ask some of the more experienced pilots for flying tips and have it located here in the beginners lounge.

For example, in boating a simple and very helpful tip from experienced captains is "neutral is your friend" it's helped me dock large boats in tricky slips with ease. A seemingly trivial tip, that I use every time I take a boat out or put one away.

In reference to the multi rotor, I notice that when I use the rudder (full manual mode) the craft drops. I'm not sure if it would be better to elevate the craft, then use the rudder, or to throttle up and user the rudder simultaneously, which seems like it's a bit harder to get used to.

I've read a few fragmented posts on techniques, but they are mostly advanced with terminology that's way out of my wheelhouse. cool if we start up a thread here to help out the new flyers? If so, any flight tips would be great to know such as:

take off tips, landing tips, practice tips, theory's, Maneuvering tips, & mile markers for people to try and obtain before proceeding to more advanced stuff.

Would be helpful to me, so I figure might be helpful to others as well.

mbowser

As a complete newbie to any type of RC I'd also love to hear tips/tricks from seasoned flyers to help me get better. My son and I have about 8-10 flights in at this point (KK2.1 on HobbyKing X650F frame and 4000mAh battery) and we are finding that you really need a flat open space to practice in. I started tuning the quad on my bed and that was a bit of a nightmare trying to control and probably resulted in me mis-tuning the quad. Now we are only flying outside.

Not suprisingly, flight time is probably the biggest way to improve, but while we are learning we are keeping the quad close and reasonably low (~10-30 feet). Lower than that and I start to feel the effects of the rotor wash on the ground, and higher than that I'm subject to whatever the wind is doing above the trees (it is often significant).

We are also doing 'drills'. Right now we are practicing flying the quad out about 100 feet, turning it back towards us and then flying it back. As we get better we are throwing in some curves on the return trip to get used to the reversed controls. We are also doing squares with the quad; where we go out 50 feet turn 90 degrees right, fly 50 feet, turn again, fly another 50 feet, turn and return home. I'm finding it hard to do it well, but I'm getting better. I am trying to work up to doing a figure eight but that is going to be a ways off.

Once I am comfortable with maneuvering around a field without having to think about it too much, then I'll start to venture higher and further.

-matt

jbrumberg

There is one book that I know of titled Getting Started with Hobby Quadcopters and Drones by Craig S Issod 2013. It is basic. I think you can get it as an ebook, and sometimes he gives it away for free. There are couple of learning to fly RC helicopter books available, all of them offer really good training exercises for new pilots to help with stick and orientation training. Tail in, left side in, right side in, head in maneuvers, doing boxes in different orientations, the alphabet in different orientations, circles, banked circles, figure 8's, banked figure 8's, etc. All these are applicable to the new pilot and pilots with small quad experience such as myself who discover as they move up into larger, heavier, more powerful machines need to re-practice and re-learn a few things.:black_eyed:

jondrew

Ive been flying an Estes Proto X (cockroach?) and its a real challenge. It drifts, goes up and down, yaws with no apparent input from me. Part of that is I banged the heck out of it learning and it probably needs new props. The other part is since its a very simple control system its much less forgiving. And of course if you're flying indoors you have much less buffer space to play with.

There is simply no comparison when flying something larger like my Phantom 2. Between its greater mass and full GPS enabled control system it is incredibly easy to fly compared to the Estes. My yard is fairly small and there is a pond very close. So I dont really want to do a bunch of flying out of there. There is a small park nearby where I've been practicing 'flying the box", circles and stuff. I've got a long way to go, especially keeping the orientation straight. But I would encourage you to fly one of your larger builds. Just move slowly and gain skills and confidence. The little bugs like the Proto X have a place, but they make basic maneuvering much more challenging than it has to be for the beginner. I'm actually expecting my Hubsan to show up today. I've heard they are more stable for learners. Outdoor time for the PHantom is scarce for me due to work, short days and bad weather.

15crewdawg

A couple of tips:
Learn your aircraft inside and out. You should know what everything is, what it does, and how it works.
Don't fly near people. If possible, find a nice open area away from everything.
Keep your aircraft close.
Practice, practice, practice.
Don't rely on the "Controller", GPS, or fail-safe system to fly. And always have a plan in the event of a failure. Don't assume the system will save you.
Be smart about what you are doing. Just because you might be able to do something with your aircraft, doesn't mean you should. Don't be "that guy".

deluge2

While I still consider myself a beginning MR pilot, I was a complete newbie less than a year ago. I too started with small RTF models before moving to a larger craft. In fact my Phantom 1 sat unused for a few weeks because I didn't think my piloting skills were good enough. Then by chance I encountered someone flying one at a nearby athletic field. We talked for awhile and then he handed me the transmitter! The Phantom was *far easier* to control than the smaller quads I had been flying (and crashing regularly), even in 'ATTI' mode (ie without GPS).

But the single most useful skill and confidence builder for me was (and remains) using RC flight simulator software. A good setup does require some $s, but it allows one to fly (and crash) with no worries. Definitely helped develop coordination between sticks to achieve smooth coordinated turns using roll and yaw to maintain nose-forward orientation.

So consider heli or MR flight simulators to let you get hours of flight time, regardless of weather, time of day, etc. Sure it's not 'real flying' but it certainly builds the skills you need!

Steve

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
Some tips that have served me well:

If flying in manual fly at least 3 mistakes high! In otherwords get the aircraft up to a height where you have time to recover should you zig when you should have zagged

Take off: If taking off in Atti or GPS then keep your right hand off the cyclic entirely (to avoid inadvertent input) for take off only. Once clear of the ground get that hand back on the stick. Also, give plenty of throttle and just get the aircraft in the air. Height is your friend- to a point. If in manual, keep your right hand on the stick but still give it plenty of throttle to get it off the ground.

SLOW IS PRO. Take your time in learning new stuff. Don't rush. Have a good flight plan for each flight and don't go off it.

Make sure you control the aircraft and not the other way round. In other words, if, for example, the aircraft starts drifting away, don't let it do it, bring it back to where it should be before going onto your next move. Many a pilot I have seen is effectively reacting to the helicopter when the helicopter should react to you- does the tail wag the dog or the dog wag the tail?

Sometimes saying 'no' is the best solution. How many of us have thought, just one last pack only to then crash. If you feel you have reached culmination for the day, then don't do that extra flight because you are still enjoying it. Quit for the day whilst you are still ahead.

Lastly, there simply is no substitute for practice. Be it on a sim or for real. Practice practice practice.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Really great idea for a thread. I'm a newbie as well, and starved for flight time due to the Northeast weather this winter. Great tips here and I look forward to more.

The he only thing I can add is that if the "open space" looks open enough, go a little bigger. Firing these things up indoors can be terrifying and should probably be avoided especially if you have pets!!!! :) When I've gotten outside, what looks like a nice, decently open space apparently shrinks to the size of a pea within moments of the props spinning.

jbrumberg

"3 mistakes high"

I read this all the time from experienced fliers that I trust. I need to remember.

Thank you Carapau.

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
Phoenix also has a quad or two. I don't think that quads in Phoenix or Real Flight (6.5 was the version I tested) have a very realistic feel but they still suffice in terms of getting your stickology sorted.

deluge2

Cross platform and inexpensive is Heli X (cross platform). I've also used RealFlight (Windows) which is expensive but comes with a reasonably nice 2-stick 'transmitter' that connects via USB. I mostly use that USB transmitter with Heli X on my Mac.

Steve

Can you suggest a simulator that is best for multis?