Flexacopter -----The Making of an octocopter "KRATOS"-----

tstrike

pendejo grande
WOW!!!!! Congratulations Chris, she's a beauty! 2 coats of floor wax in the shop just so your spooge doesn't stain!
Gorgeous craftsmanship Mario...again!

ChrisViperM

2 coats of floor wax in the shop just so your spooge doesn't stain!
Gorgeous craftsmanship Mario...again!

Thanks....but no need for floor wax....will get Italian marble...but a few boxes of Kleenex arround the work-shop might be needed....

Chris

holco

Like everybody know's by now (we hope) is that our motto is measuring is knowing ;) so we ordered two sets T-motor carbon propellers in the size 14x5 and 15x5.

The propellers are looking really good and the one's we received where spot on in balance and ready for direct mounting, although not extremely light they are much lighter than our reference Xoar wooden propellers :thumbsup:

Xoar 14x6 wood (after balancing) 26g
T-Motor carbon 14x5 16g
T-Motor carbon 15x5 19g

Because the T-Motor carbon propellers gave us a very good first impression Pieter already started to design a propeller adapter for the Plettenberg Orbit motors :)

adapter4.png
adapter3.png

adapter2.png
adapter1.png

One disadvantage and I think that's counts for all carbon propellers is that the carbon propellers akt like some kind of diapason, more than one time I was thinking that the bearings of our test motor where defective :eek: (I even ordered two sets replacement bearings LOL) luckily after a test-rig reference check with a wooden Xoar 14x6 propeller the motor sounded like new again :) the naturally damping of wood was clearly audible.

The test video's, (because of the improvised prop mounting no more than 2kg lift )

As reference the Xoar 14x6 prop

Last edited by a moderator:

Not sure you can compare a 1450 prop to a 1460 prop; you will get more lift. Likewise 15" to 14".

im intrigued by the dampening effect of the wood though. Is there any evidence of reduced vibes reaching the controller? If so, I want a set ASAP!

SMP

Holco, quick question, are the wire dampers isolating the electronics (FC etc) and do you have plans for a wire mounted gimbal mount?

Texel2001

Wirdedampers isolate the battery-box/gimbal attachment-points.
Due to minimal mass of the FC foam will do. But just take care balancing your drivetrain. We balance our props religiously to take away any source of vibes.
Its more easy than removing vibes afterwards.

holco

Kratos measurements and weight's.

Kratos with lipobox and quick release but without pre installed wire and motor mounts
Kratos-with-lipobox-and-quick-release-but-without-.jpg

Pre installed 16,8 meter 16AWG (motor / ESC) / 11,2 meter 22AWG (lighting / buzzer)
Kratos-total-pre-installed-wire.jpg

Kratos ESC-plate
Kratos-ESC-plate.jpg

16000mAh 6S/2P
16000mAh-6S-2P.jpg

Wiredamper with installed wire and 16x m2.5 bolts
Wiredamper-with-installed-wire-and-16-m2.5-bolts-.jpg

Total span 1094mm
Total-span-1094mm.jpg

Quick-release complete
Quick-release-complete.jpg

Orbit 15-24
Orbit-15-24.jpg

Motor mount with clamps and bolts
Motor-mount-with-clamps-and-bolts.jpg

Motor ESC set
Motor-ESC-set.jpg

Minimum 11AWG pure copper power distribution plates
Minimum-11AWG-copper-power-distribution.jpg

Motor to Motor center 1042mm
M-to-M-1042mm.jpg

holco

Small Flight Case for a big multicopter

LxBxH in cm 75x42x33,5

P1060818.jpg

P1060817.jpg

P1060820.jpg

P1060821.jpg

P1060808.jpg

P1060809.jpg

P1060810.jpg

P1060814.jpg

P1060816.jpg

Foam suitable for X and + config
P1060815.jpg

ChrisViperM

Heheheh....you kept word.

That case looks damn sweet......I guess you just sold one :tennis:
Will there also be one for the CS 3-axis gimbal....?

Have a very nice weekend.....

Chris

holco

Thanks Chris :)

Then I think this one is yours;)

You have an email.

Greetings,

Mario

Heheheh....you kept word.

That case looks damn sweet......I guess you just sold one :tennis:
Will there also be one for the CS 3-axis gimbal....?

Have a very nice weekend.....

Chris

Squawk

Kratos time!!!

Yesterday, finally, was the day.. I picked up my Kratos..:nevreness:

I'm awaiting the coming of the DJI A2 before choosing my FC system.
And also the kind of BL Gimbal I end up choosing, depends on it.
Things seem to develop so fast these days, that I will finish "building" it before choosing either of those.
Also I'm still awaiting the soon to be delivered DJI retracts to have FlexaCopter find a way to attach it to the base plate.

Anyway, of course I wouldn't want to deprive you lurkers out there some nice "outta da box" pictures.. :cool:

Attachments

• 0001.jpg
    0001.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 379
  • 0002.jpg
    0002.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 367
  • 0003.jpg
    0003.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 354
  • 0004.jpg
    0004.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 621

ChrisViperM

heheheheeh.....lucky you.

I still wait for my Kratos since Mario is also getting a "suit-case" for my CS 3-axis gimbal in addition to the Kratos suite-case......we want to travel in style :tennis:

As for the Flight Control: Since they made the whole development of the Kratos with the ZeroUAV YS-X6 and the fact that I have one laying arround, I will use the ZeroUAV. I'm sure Mario will give me their configuration values, which speeds things up a bit....and if DJI come up with a new flight control, no one knows how many FW-updates it needs until you can use it.....I have learned my lesson with DJI.

For the retracts, also have a look at the Droidworkx retracts....they are a lot more stabil than the fragile DJI retracts.

As for Gimbals, also have a look here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1817209&highlight=brush+gimbal

This brushless gimbal mania is a pure mess at the moment....lots of small guys with no money for development are trying to cash in on the "BL-Boom" at the moment, and the gimbal from the RC-Groups link looks very promising to me.....would be a perfect fit for the Kratos.

Enjoy the building of your baby....

All the best

Chris

Squawk

Hey Chris! :)

Sorry for the late reply!
Had to work, and awaiting basic stuff like cabling, plugs, etc before I can start my build.
Just done some prep work for now..

I will receive the S800 retracts this week, if customs works normally, and check out if it is good for the Kratos or not.
Definitely keep your suggestion at hand for a Droidworkx. But the weight is more and I won't be able to connect it the way I want to.
Another option is to wait for the Flexacopter one, that has gear rotating with camera..

But I decided to wait for the A2 before purchasing expensive electronics. So my bird won't fly until then.
At least the solder work will be done.. ;-)

Thanks!

Koen

Squawk

When I picked up the Kratos, Mario mentioned playing with the idea to make one.
So I know where, just not when.. ;-)