First FPV flight of TBS Discovery

DjiFan

Hi RTRyder,

Liked your video a lot and all the interesting different tx setups you have been trying, I don't understand any of it yet, but hope to soon.

I saw in your video that you have a CR-V, looks like a 2013 model? Just wondering what was your best tank full avg mpg?

I got 34.12 on my 2012 CR-V 2wd, it's neat to only have to put in $40/week in gas.

Oh yes, I'm looking at the TBS Discovery as well, please let me know if you have any more videos.

Thanks,
DjiFan

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Hi RTRyder,

Liked your video a lot and all the interesting different tx setups you have been trying, I don't understand any of it yet, but hope to soon.

I saw in your video that you have a CR-V, looks like a 2013 model? Just wondering what was your best tank full avg mpg?

I got 34.12 on my 2012 CR-V 2wd, it's neat to only have to put in $40/week in gas.

Oh yes, I'm looking at the TBS Discovery as well, please let me know if you have any more videos.

Thanks,
DjiFan

The CRV is a 2012 all wheel drive with all the options that I recently purchased after my pristine low mileage 2010 was totalled when hit from behind by a 19 yr old girl driving daddy's Saab and texting while driving. I was stopped to make a turn and she hit me doing about 45mph, pushing me across the road into oncoming traffic where an older Acura going in the other direction destroyed the front end in a not quite head-on collision. I have to say the CRV holds up well in a serious accident, I unbuckled the seat belt, forced the door open, got out and walked away!

The best mileage I've gotten with the 2012 was while intentionally driving with a eye towards seeing just how much I could squeeze out of it and that turned out to be 36.2 mpg keeping it at or below 60mph on the highway in Econ mode. My job takes me on the road several days a week and typically for drives of 100 to 200 miles at a time, I generally see right around 30 mpg average on most trips which is significantly better than the 2010's average of about 22 to 23 in similar driving.

I'll have more videos as I get time to go out and fly. Lately it seems the universe is conspiring against me doing any flying as every time I plan to head out something comes up that throws a wrench in the works. This past weekend it was the fridge going belly up requiring hauling the contents to the in-laws to put in their spare, then the wife and I went out shopping for a new one, followed by having to disassemble some of the kitchen cabinets to get the old one out and prep for delivery of the new one. :(

Fortunately (?) it also coincided with the states annual sales tax free weekend so I was able to save a considerable amount over what I otherwise would have had to spend, a small bright spot in an otherwise less than ideal weekend!

Ken

Cswann821

Hello,

I am thinking of changing my heavy next level quad to either the qav500 or tbs-d . I was wondering if you could input on which frame would you think best fit a direct transfer? Keeping with a 4s-5000 lipo setup
Here's what I have...
I have been flying my Next level 650 Quad fully loaded with ..
-Skylarks Trace OSD,
-sony CCD 600tvl camera
-Dj Naza M V2
-futaba 13ch Sbus Rx
-800mw 1.3ghz Vtx .
- 4 x Iflight 880KV (2217Q (22mm)) motors with 10X4.7 gem fans.
-4 x 30amp Inov8tive ESC w/simotech firmware.

-I'm using a 3s 1000mah to power the VTX and camera . and a 4S 5000mah for
flight power.

The frame alone weighs in at about 20(not including shocks and camera
extension front mount) Fully built and loaded She weighs in at 5.76lbs

I am hoping to improve flight time by using a lighter frame

kloner

Aerial DP
for your power youd be doing so much better with a tbs disco or the qav400. those motors aren't what you want for the qav500

man, almost6 lbs, mt disco pro with a gimbal and 5000 mah is less than 4 lbs, 2 mile range, does 50 or hovers well..... hovers at 20 amps with 1500 watts of motor... with the core on a disco you get a built in simple osd that'll keep you out of the dirt.

Cswann821

for your power youd be doing so much better with a tbs disco or the qav400. those motors aren't what you want for the qav500

man, almost6 lbs, mt disco pro with a gimbal and 5000 mah is less than 4 lbs, 2 mile range, does 50 or hovers well..... hovers at 20 amps with 1500 watts of motor... with the core on a disco you get a built in simple osd that'll keep you out of the dirt.

So Which would you choose for me? lol I have been looking at both the QAV, and now the TBS Discovery. The only thing about the discovery is that I dont think I need the build in PDB, or trace links on the board. I use a S-bus RX so its only one wire connection to my NAZA. I've also been looking at HoverThings, and chatting with them. The HT-FPV wont Ballance right with a 4s-5000mah. So I may be stuck with their HT-450/550. Which is just the plane old "X" shape quad. Was hoping to get one of the cool "H" shape frames. The QAV, I hear shatters like glass....? But most importantly, It cost alot, and parts are expensive.

Here is a pic of my flying tank.

View attachment 13421View attachment 13422

Attachments

• QUAD 3.jpg
    QUAD 3.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 319
  • QUAD 1.jpg
    QUAD 1.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 352