fail safe with futaba

Kilby

Hi.
Here is the mix that did the trick with my Futaba FG8, but it should work the 10C as well. Ajust it while looking at the state screen in tx calibration in the assistant software until flipping the switch will cause Fail-safe (see state at the bottom of assistant screen) in EACH STATE (norm, atti, gps, course and home lock if you use it). When you flip the switch you should see blinking blue light in the led (along with red lights if GPS fix is not perfect).

Did it help you ?

Hi SharonX,

I was able to use your mix to get failsafe engaged while in one flight mode (gps in this case) but not the others. The mix doesn't seem to effect it when I have atti or manual mode enabled. Do I need to set up a different mix for those as well, or is there a way to get one mix to work with all 3 modes?

Thanks!

-Terry

Kilby

I set master slave as outlined in the photo, but it only seems to engage failsafe when I'm in GPS mode. This will actually work for me right now. I really just want to test that fail safe works as needed. I have it set up to trigger when my radio loses connection, but I wanted to test it before hand.

Any idea why it only works in one mode though?

-Terry

steph280

Take a look at the output display on WKM assistant's U-channel control mode switch bar. When you flip the switch, where does the slider end up on the bar? It may be very close to the Failsafe region, just need to play with the percentage a bit.

Kilby

That's what I was doing to get to this point. As it stands now, I have one 3 position switch that sets the flight modes. I have the end points set up for manual, atti and gps as you toggle down the switch. I have another 3 position switch set up to trigger failsafe. It is off-off-on. When I flip the failsafe switch and watch it in the assistant software, it only seems to trigger fail safe if they first 3 position switch was in gps mode. If it is in atti or manual, it doesn't move the mode selection at all. It's not missing the mark a little bit, it's simply not moving it at all.

-Terry

Kilby

I was playing with some of them last night, not sure if that was one of them though. I'll try again when I get home today.

Thanks!

-Terry

steph280

Also you can use the servo monitor feature on the TX to watch what your mixing is doing to the channel, so you don't need to have the WKM connected while troubleshooting.

Good luck.

DJIFlyer

I did mine without the PMIX. Basically these steps, assuming your throttle is on channel 3 and your U-channel is on channel 7.
1. First confirm you are NOT in 7ch mode. You must be in MLT2 mode since WKM failsafe only works with channel 7 (U-channel), but failsafe for Futaba FASST 7ch mode only works on throttle. (Linkage Menu, Frequency, FASST)
2. Go into the Failsafe menu, scroll down to channel 7.
3. Changel F/S mode to "F/S" (not HOLD), position to around -35%. This will trigger the failsafe mode when you turn off your TX as designed. You may need to play with the -35% value but that's where mine ended up.
4. You also need to make sure throttle doesn't default to 0 when in failsafe mode. So go to channel 3 in Failsafe menu, set the failsafe from HOLD to "F/S", and set the position to 50%.

This works for me, but YMMV.

I'm glad I came across your thread. Thanks so much for offering this up. I have my Futaba FG8 Super setup so that I have my three flight modes and I can see everything line up just great in the assistant software. I even have things setup so that when I turn off the TX I get FAILSAFE in the assistant with 50% of throttle showing in assistant. I also 'go to to the blue' in asstant when I click my switch that I have allocated for failsafe. The problem I am having is that I cannot get the 50% of throttle to show when I simply turn off my switch that takes me to Failsafe and I cannot figure out why. Can anyone think of why I get 50% throttle with the TX turned off but not when I flip my switch?

Last edited by a moderator:

steph280

To set the throttle, physically move your throttle stick to where you want it to be during failsafe, then press and hold the button.

Edit: oh looks like you got that figured out. Now if throttle doesn't go where it's supposed to after turning off, then most likely receiver hasn't registered the failsafe position. To test that, pull out your throttle cable and plug a servo into receiver, and once you turn off transmitter, it should move servo to 50%.

Last edited by a moderator:

DJIFlyer

Thanks for your reply: I have set the throttle in the Failsafe window so that it shows at 50% and have set from "off" to F/S. I can now get the throttle to go to 50% when I switch OFF the TX but I cannot get the throttle to react at all when I click the switch I have allocated for failsafe into the failsafe mde. I see the proper reaction int eh assistant software where it does appear int he blue but the throttle does not move from where ever it was previously.

steph280

Does assistant show throttle going into failsafe if you turn off the transmitter? The switch basically moves channel 7 into blue area telling wkm to go into failsafe mode. But the radio system is still communicating thus will not trigger throttle failsafe. Unless if you have a prog mix to move throttle when switch is flipped.

DJIFlyer

To set the throttle, physically move your throttle stick to where you want it to be during failsafe, then press and hold the button.

Edit: oh looks like you got that figured out. Now if throttle doesn't go where it's supposed to after turning off, then most likely receiver hasn't registered the failsafe position. To test that, pull out your throttle cable and plug a servo into receiver, and once you turn off transmitter, it should move servo to 50%.

I can get the 50% of throttle to register in Assistant when I turn the TX to OFF. I cannot get the 50% of throttle to register when I click the SWITCH to go the failsafe mode. The TX appears to be registering the Throttle setting for Failsafe in the off position but NOT when the switch is clicked.

DJIFlyer

Does assistant show throttle going into failsafe if you turn off the transmitter? The switch basically moves channel 7 into blue area telling wkm to go into failsafe mode. But the radio system is still communicating thus will not trigger throttle failsafe. Unless if you have a prog mix to move throttle when switch is flipped.

Okay, I didn't know that. I guess I expected it to do the same thing that turning off the transmitter would do. Now I understand. Unfortunately I am not knowledgeable enough to figure out exactly how to set it up so that it will do a mix with the proper amount of throttle. Thanks again for your help. I really appreciate it.