FAA where are we today

jhardway

Everynight I get a lot of articles on the FAA and drones, to say. I like the UAV term to me Drone sounds dirty. Over the past week I have seen some thing that have caught my eyes I thought I would share

the first link comes from a guy who thought getting video from the Adoms Morgan area in DC would be a fun thing to do. Never mind its a very congested area, but as reported in the article he was using a $700 Chinese made drone, by the image looking like an xaircraft, now being someone who was lured in the multirotor area by the price of xaircraft, I shortly learned that you get what you paid for and soon determined my direction of choice needed improvement. But to hear that someone was flying around the DC metro area with one of these did not surprise me with the result, never mind the FAA giving him a call just to make sure he understood the 2009 NOTAM that was in effect over the DC skies.

To me this is the type of things people are doing out there. Anyways here is the link to the article.

http://www.lawfareblog.com/2012/09/the-faa-and-the-lawfare-drone-smackdown/

this article talks about a man in Knoxville Tennessee doing aerial photography from a multirotor, what I found interesting was this comment which makes me understanding why people are confused on the FAA rules when it come to flying these things on a commercial level.

A spokeswoman for the FAA said that "it is not legal for a company to use small unmanned aircraft for commercial photography. We have asked operators in various locations around the country to stop those operations."

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2012/aug/23/maryville-photographer-uses-drone-technology/

The last one came across the wire yesterday, it is about the guys of HoverFlow and what they are doing may test the FAA rulings. Two things caught my eye, one in the article and another in the comments at the bottom.

Comment in the bottom - The FAA announced in February that compliance guidelines for SUASs would be published in 180 days. The August 12 deadline has passed and HoverFlow is just one of hundreds of small businesses around the country awaiting new regulations that will formalize the use of such devices for commercial applications.

In the article - Trafford said HoverFlow charges $1,000 for a roughly 10-minute flight, which includes setup, photographs and videos.

$1000 for a ten minute flight, that sound like a good deal, ....... What !!!!! - I guess the market will fill the demand with a fair price, I am not sure where I would go with this one. Multirotor which I can get some angles a regular helicopter just can not go, or $3300 an hour. For HD video off a $500,000 gyro driven Cineflex system. If you break down the cost the multirotor is $100 per minute or $1.66 per second of video, the HD Astar helicopter is $55 a minute or 91 cents per second.

http://www.pressherald.com/news/aerial-photos-by-drone-may-test-faa-rule_2012-09-15.html

all in fun, just keeping my eyes out on the realm trying to figure it all out.

cheers all

AerialVue

CAA Registered Company
Please keep up your musings.. makes a nice change from working out why Joe's MR is flipping!

AV

kloner

Aerial DP
in all those stories where
A spokeswoman for the FAA said that "it is not legal for a company to use small unmanned aircraft for commercial photography.
situations nobodies been to court, jail, nothing? do those stories come down the same pipeline?

Macsgrafs

A spokeswoman for the FAA said that "it is not legal for a company to use small unmanned aircraft for commercial photography. We have asked operators in various locations around the country to stop those operations."

Notice the word LEGAL...that applies to legal fictions only. Lawful applies to men/women...so you might be breaking company rules (yes the USA is in fact a corporation), but you havent broke any laws!

Ross

Tahoe Ed

Notice the word LEGAL...that applies to legal fictions only. Lawful applies to men/women...so you might be breaking company rules (yes the USA is in fact a corporation), but you havent broke any laws!

Ross

Ross spoken like a true libertarian. Not that I disagree with you, the problem is getting everyone else to agree with you. If the Feds left most of us alone we would be much better off.

Macsgrafs

Ross spoken like a true libertarian. Not that I disagree with you, the problem is getting everyone else to agree with you. If the Feds left most of us alone we would be much better off.

I'm not a libertarian, i'm me! I believe we all have a god given right to make a living as we see fit, without some corporation saying you cant do that unless...........
I've read a lot of blacks law dictionary, you guys can search it out (the latest edition is No.9)...just search for "person". But please do NOT use a normal dictionary as that's not what they use in court...they use blacks in the states. Because they use legalese in a courtroom & not an english dictionary....the words sound the same but have different meanings.

I would like to see the FAA document that states its illegal to fly an rc aircraft for aerial video/photography & then we can get our minds around thier double talk.

Have you noticed when you go into a court, they always ask your name...why? surely they know who you are...they call you into the court, so why ask? Because the name you give them is your birth certificate name, your person, your strawman & that means you agree to acts/corporate policy. Here is a very short video, it's UK based, but the exact same applies in the states:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ME7K6P7hlko

Here's a great story, showing how WE the people have the power to overturn an act, this is from the states:-
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/...824.html?1347905241&ncid=edlinkusaolp00000009

Ross

Last edited by a moderator:

PondMedic

The HoverFlow article is humorous on many counts. HoverFlow is closely related to the outfit HoverFly - coincidence? I think not. No creativity. They contradicted themselves throughout the article about what they were and weren't doing. Even if flying UAS commercially was legal, they might want to stick to the HVAC business. It's folks like this that will give the emerging industry a bad name.

Photronix

Pilot
Huh?

Hoverfly is NOT related to HoverFlow in any way. The pictures in the photo in the article are obviously DJI.

The HoverFlow article is humorous on many counts. HoverFlow is closely related to the outfit HoverFly - coincidence? I think not. No creativity. They contradicted themselves throughout the article about what they were and weren't doing. Even if flying UAS commercially was legal, they might want to stick to the HVAC business. It's folks like this that will give the emerging industry a bad name.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
PondMedic, you are obviously eager to point fingers as you are frustrated with all this, as we all are. But to make an accusation like this is straight out of left field. That is a DJI s800 they are using, which does not cost $20k. Hoverflow is the name of the HVAC company they had before they got into AP. There is no way in hell Hoverfly has anything to do with this in any way other than they manufacture flight controllers.

PondMedic

Guys, geez. Simmer down. I guess you can't hear from the words on the page I am on HoverFly's side, not HoverFlow. I'm ridiculing HoverFlow NOT HoverFly. Understood?

Macsgrafs

Guys, geez. Simmer down. I guess you can't hear from the words on the page I am on HoverFly's side, not HoverFlow. I'm ridiculing HoverFlow NOT HoverFly. Understood?

I must admit I thought you were tying the 2 together, but readign back through your post it's now obvious you were taking the P**S out of that guy for trying to copy someone elses company name...in other words that guys has no creativity!

Ross

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
I would like to see the FAA document that states its illegal to fly an rc aircraft for aerial video/photography & then we can get our minds around thier double talk.

This appears to be the opinion that many people who are currently operating AP businesses in the US hold.

kloner

Aerial DP
we all know how well that goes over here in the US........ hard cold time and the money still + penalty + interest +costs

kloner

Aerial DP
i've been reading all through there. they got a uav program at the local college...... flying wings........

ChrisViperM

I just want to see a proof somewhere in history that a group of people said: Hey, we are too stupid to take care for ourselves. Now we want somebody to take our money away, come up with stupid laws and let us pay fines if we do not obey these rules, start fights with other groups of people and send us there to fight and die, give us as much misinformation as possible, support everything what makes us sick, poor or just feel miserable....did I forget something ???

Chris