F450 Motors still getting hot

LeeT

Wannabe AP Dude
I posted a problem a few weeks ago about my motors (DJI 2212) getting hot, and I thought it might be from flying in GPS mode. I have been flying in atti mode, and the motors are still hot.

The props are balanced. All four motors get hot. By hot I mean that I cannot touch the motors for more than two seconds without getting burned. The ESCs are only slightly warm.

The only other change is I went from the DJI props (after prop broke in mid air) to GemFan 10 x 4.5.

The quad is carrying a the 3300mah battery and addition upper and lower frames. There is no camera gear, extra batteries, or anything else to weigh it down that would cause the motors to over heat.

Would going down to a 9 x 4.7 prop help with the problem?

BerndM

I fly my Stock DJI F450 FW using Graupner 10X5 props, which is a slightly heavier load than your 10X4.5 props.
After a 7 minute flight on my 3S 2200 batteries, the motors are all about 105 degrees F and so is the battery pack. The ESC's are much cooler than that. This is in 80+ degree weather.
I check the temps of all 4 motors and the battery after EVERY flight with a digital non-contact thermometer just to make sure nothing strange is going on.
Hopefully a temperature increase on any one motor will warn me of an impending problem.

VINHEX

I had an issue some weeks back. I was flying 10" on 3s which I thought was fine, then one day I smelt something like creosote paint weird! When I landed it was one of my motors being hot! Spoke to Geoff at quadcopters and he said try the 8" DJI love them. Changed and everything went away. Not sure if was balance or prop size, but I must admit the hex flys so much better with 8" when upgrading props going to try 9" rather than 10" in short if you have 8" try to see if still getting hot.

kloner

Aerial DP
that's what i'd try

one other thing, stay away from gemfan and try using either apc or graupner. Trappy has the 9" graups, ship from Germany,,,,,, there pretty fast to restock, or at least tells you when you ask.

http://www.team-blacksheep.com/products/product:122

when you got all four motors with heat, would show a sign of being used in an over rated environment as in over watts from too big a prop. When 2 in opposing corners are warm it's always been cheap props on mine, think is the motors being overworked to keep yaw. when one motor is hot, it is usually a bearing/bent prop adapter/motor bell/shaft or balance issue

your looking for no more than 120-130f, if your leaving that and going into "smell them" or 180+, your gonna kill it

that's what i'd try

one other thing, stay away from gemfan

WHY, I have seen many use GF with great results. Although I use 9" Graupners, GF seems to be the next best alternative to the DJI pice wise.

I have a set of 9" GF to try but have not installed yet.

Why no GF, any reasoning behind it or facts of others having problems. Just curious is all, I think one should explain why, when advising against a particular brand.

kloner

Aerial DP
if your filming, there a waste of time to perfect, there hard on your equipment because of it. There not worth the money, props that work cost more than $2, they cost at least $3 for apc's. The gemfan hubs are small, plastic is ok, balance isn't there. To use these is pretty much the same as using dji, same problems

ever seen a graupner hub? there like 16mm wide, sharp as a knife, don't flex at all, not a slo flyer lobe type, more like a speed prop
i.php

$7 ea plus shipping from that link i left above, 2 pairs and your money way ahead compared to v-east. Some of the vendors have em in the US for $10-$11ea and priority shipping like $6-$7 for 4

if the 10" that are on it are gemfan, that might even be why the heat. i never seen heat in my stock motors on 3s and 10", i ran 4s and 10" and they barely got warm, in socal

Last edited by a moderator: