Naza wind wobbles

thepelell

Hi, after waiting for months, trying to get things sorted out with another controller, i decided to give the Naza a try.
I fly mostly for AV purposes, so i need a board to move slowly and precisely. I don't care about gps or RTH feautures, as i always fly LOS and use VTX only for framing aid but don't really do fpv.
I have a test quad and a "work" y6. The quad has simonk flashed escs and 2814 750kv motors with 4s batt, the Y6 has turnigy plush 30 esc, emax 2215 motors AUW 3 kg.
On BOTH machines, the naza is good and precise only in dead calm weather conditions. If there is a slight breeze, it will start wobbling. The Y6 is slightly better, i think due to coaxial config wich makes it by nature handle wind better. I have tried lowering ATTi gains to 70 , it only gets slightly better, but i am far away from anything that can be used for filming. On the same machines another controller (AQ50) is much better at handling wind. I am not talking about gale force winds, a simply breeze that barely moves a branch is enough for the copter to wobble.
Any idea on the method of gain tuning would be helpful. I don't have a radio with aux pot, so i can't change gains on the fly, i need to do it via pc.
From what i have read, you should up the basic gains till you get fast oscillations, keeping atti low, then once you found correct basic gain try upping atti. Is this correct?
Any hardware recommendations? Anybody have real experience with DJI esc compared to turnigy or flashed escs? they cost more than average esc, but i don't know if they are really worth it.

Bowley

This reflects exactly what I have been experiencing, I have nearly exhausted all setting possibilities and all that remains to do is to try flashing the turnigy plush ESC's. I am using Naza on F450 and X650 and both behave the same. my gut feeling is that has something to do with the ESC's as both have turnigy plush and I cant say I ever had this problem when I was using the XA ones
When I last flew the X650 with Naza, XA motors and Props i would say it was marginally better than the F450, with tigers and APC's, although no doubt it probably has something to do with the fact that the X650 is bigger and heavier. Ive taken the Naza off the 650 and am in the process of fitting APM2 with high hopes for vehicle stability and gimbal compensation.
for Naza, my rule of thumb has become if the leaves on the trees are fluttering, then so will my quads. things do become a little better with increase in throttle so I am considering switching to smaller or lower pitched props.

Tahoe Ed

Smaller props definitely improves wind performance. In the wind, my F550 on 10" is not sufficiently stable for an A/P platform. With 8" props on 4S it is a different machine. I will say my stuff is all DJI. I have some SimonK flashed escs that I have yet to try.

Bowley

Thanks Ed, a jump up to 4S has been on the cards for a while now, just been putting it off as I have so many 3S batteries. I think 8" props with higher rpm will help my vibration/jello issues also. do you think 4 8" props would be sufficient for an F450 with housed GP2 and VTx/batt, dont want to overheat.

yakjock

do you think 4 8" props would be sufficient for an F450 with housed GP2 and VTx/batt, dont want to overheat.[/QUOTE]

Yes it is ok, i am lifting a GoPro 3d setup on my F550 & the motor temps are normally between 25-28 degrees & the F450 with a GoPro 2 & wifi bacpac temps are 28-30 degrees.

Tahoe Ed

Thanks Ed, a jump up to 4S has been on the cards for a while now, just been putting it off as I have so many 3S batteries. I think 8" props with higher rpm will help my vibration/jello issues also. do you think 4 8" props would be sufficient for an F450 with housed GP2 and VTx/batt, dont want to overheat.

Not sure. I fly my F450 on 10" Graupners on 3S. It performs well in the wind. It is sufficient for a GoPro with a dedicated FPV camera, EagleTree OSD with GPS and eLogger, and a vTx. My vTx is powered off a separate 1000mAh 3S.

thepelell

thepelell, what props are on the 2814 750kv setup?

i tried with 10x5 xoar and 11x5.5E APC
I have now tried on the quad emax 2215 1200kv motors, with APC 9x4.5 props. It does seem better, but i also had to lower gains because unfortunately 2 of these motors vibrate badly, i need to open them to check what's the problem. But yes, it does seem that with higher revs and smaller props it is a bit better.

highflyer

I am using a DJI F550, aeroxcraft landing gear, hard mounted gopro, 4S 4400mah battery with 10" DJI props. And today in 14mph winds, I was fighting to keep it stable, or should I say in control. It was just being carried away. Eventually it took a tumble and took out the landing gear legs. What kinds of speeds are too much for the F550? Or am I just a newbie!?

kloner

Aerial DP
i've flown a 450 with legs in 20-30mph.... hard to make headway into the wind but boy she sailed like a kite the other way

i never even touched the stick till :40, that was just drifting away in the wind

Last edited by a moderator: