F450 kit + APM 2.5, ESCs beep like crazy, no motor movement...Help!

Ning

I'm putting together my very first RC. Instead of Naza, I use APM 2.5 with its inline power supply. I did configuration with Mission Planner via USB, I didn't hear any sound from ESCs during the process. When I plug in batt. ESCs make 2 beeps followed by rapid nonstop beeps. Adjusting throttle or trim has no effect. My tx is Spektrum dx5e and rc is AR6115e (both were bounded).

Ning

I'm putting together my very first RC. Instead of Naza, I use APM 2.5 with its inline power supply. I did configuration with Mission Planner via USB, I didn't hear any sound from ESCs during the process. When I plug in batt. ESCs make 2 beeps followed by rapid nonstop beeps. Adjusting throttle or trim has no effect. My tx is Spektrum dx5e and rc is AR6115e (both were bounded).

Well, the beeping stopped when I booted up the controller via USB before connecting the lipo. Now, the ESCs make a brief musical sound but still no motor movement. I've tried arm, disarm, and reconfig radio without getting anywhere. How can I know if ESCs are getting a signal from my tx without using a oscilloscope?

kloner

Aerial DP
nonstop beeps is usually no signal or no calibration set? the musical tone is getting a signal, but nothing happening could point back to no throttle calibration. For most, you plug the esc into ch3 futaba ch1 spektrum/jr on the rx and power the heli with throttle all the way up, then drop the throttle after a beep sequence a couple seconds in. make sure all the props are off this thing doing anything like that.

you can test your esc's on the same ch3 (futaba) ch1 spektrum/jr to see if there working or not.

Ning

Thanks for the tip. I tried ESC to ch1 on rx and it works. During the process, I found out that I can arm and disarm ESCs when ch1 is disconnected. After arming (throttle down left for 4 sec), ch1 can be connected and all motors works. However, I cannot disarm. I can turn off the tx to stop motors. If I turn the tx back on before ESCs disarm, all motors still work. If I wait too long (about 10 seconds), ESCs disarm, the only way to rearm them is by disconnect ch1 again. Do I have a defective rx?

Thanks for the tip. I tried ESC to ch1 on rx and it works. During the process, I found out that I can arm and disarm ESCs when ch1 is disconnected. After arming (throttle down left for 4 sec), ch1 can be connected and all motors works. However, I cannot disarm. I can turn off the tx to stop motors. If I turn the tx back on before ESCs disarm, all motors still work. If I wait too long (about 10 seconds), ESCs disarm, the only way to rearm them is by disconnect ch1 again. Do I have a defective rx?

What type of ESC's are you using? I have a similar setup I am flying a DJI F550 with APM 2.5. Allot of ESC's need to be calibrated first. You can do it through the APM board or separately. Some ESC's require a calibration board as well. A common calibration technique is to set turn the controller on and put the Throttle to max power. You need to make sure in your settings on your controller that you are able to achieve a PWM signal through that channel. You can do it all at once through APM as long as you calibrated your rc receiver with the APM first through the config page on the APM mission planner. The ESC's will go into calibration mode once you turn on the copter for the first time with the throttle at maximum. Once you turn on the copter the ESC's got through a test sequence. Then as long as there is good communication between the APM and the ESC's you should be good. To arm the copter you will hold down the throttle stick to idle and yaw left at the same time for about 5 seconds. You should see the LED's on the APM blink red and blue in rapid succession and go steady. If you do not have a GPS than you should only see a red LED. Regardless a steady red means the system is armed. Once it is armed you have about 4 seconds to move the throttle forward and the motors will spin. If the throttle is idle for 4 seconds or more the system disarms as a safety feature. Each ECS should have the proper calibration technique required in the product manual.

Ning

Problem solved. I need to set throttle below 1000 when doing config. in MP although it says normal range should be between 1100 and 1900.

By the way F450 kit comes with 30 amp opt ESCs. They are pretuned at factory and don't need calib.