F450 - How do you know when it is over weight?

Totality

I run the F450 with GoPro hard mounted, FPV camera and transmitter. This is on stock motors with Naza, 10" Graupner and 4S batteries. After 10 minutes flying the motors are hardly warm to touch.

I am interested in fitting a gimbal for the GoPro but the weight will be up at 2KG or so. How do you know if this is unsafe? Do you put the quad in manual mode and see if it hovers at half power?

NYREPS

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347374837.974493.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347374837.974493.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 364

kloner

Aerial DP
so for the naza it wants to hover around mid stick in manual, anything less needs less rpm or props, anything more needs more rpm props, making more rpm is with more cells like 4s. but then the next hurdle is you begin to hit over watts on the motors. hovering and flying are two totally different things. What might hover at 10 amps might fly at 50 and if is the case, will pop em like fuses, especially if the load isn't centered. 1 or 2 motors do all the 50 amps x 15 volts - 750 watts on 150 watt motors.

2kg wants 28mm motors, 350 watt ea, perfect

I think I read in the DJI manual that flying weight is between 800gs and 1.5Kgs I fly fpv inc go pro in skeleton housing, fatshark 600mW xmitter, Spektrum 8000 receiver at a weight of 1.2Kgs. I get 7 minutes from 3s 2200 lipos and it flies great. I find anything lighter and it won't come down if it's windy

Total, when you fly in atti. mode does your quad loose altitude at all? I'm practically running the same set up as you and just switched over to the 8" props where it starts to hover at around 50% throttle compared to the 35-40% it would want to hover with the 10" props on 4s...

anyway I've done all I can and my weight is just over 2kg as well so I was curious if this was an issue for you also...(loosing altitude while at 50% throttle in atti. mode)

Thanks!

kloner

Aerial DP
brett, you seen the post i made about sunlight and naza? any chance your flying around when the suns on the side when it does it?

I actually just saw a post someone made about that sunlight issue...but I do a lot of my gain settings at night...like tonight I just changed to the 8" props...still getting that drop!!! I've updated the firmware/assistant recalibrated IMU and it still happens :( I'm about to just chuck that damn thing!!!

brett, you seen the post i made about sunlight and naza? any chance your flying around when the suns on the side when it does it?

kloner

Aerial DP
if you don't have a dealer to send it to, i'd be more than happy to put it on my rig and see if it does it here. if nothing else, it'd tell ya if it's naza or you. all i'd need is the box itself, i got all the other crap you solder and that. Sucks, this is another thing that's drug on far too long

I will contact Robert over at UAV products in the morning...I got everything from him when I started this addiction...If he isn't able to do anything i'll have you take a look at it definitely...I was just over at RCG and read ALOT of barometer problems with the naza...I would try the sunlight thing but my testing is mainly at night and i'm sure the dim street lights wouldn't affect it...especially since it doesn't matter which way i'm going...

Thanks for the help!

kloner

Aerial DP
no problem.

You mention night. this isn't a uv thing, it's not a heat from the light thing, it's a light thing. any chance where your flying in the dark when the light hits the naza? i'd tape it and go try it. Takes seconds, any electrical tape or like that

I found a nice turbine receiver antenna at the river in my stash, next time i send ya something remind me and i'll give it to ya. Super nice, pretty with all them blades

Dewster

so for the naza it wants to hover around mid stick in manual, anything less needs less rpm or props, anything more needs more rpm props, making more rpm is with more cells like 4s. but then the next hurdle is you begin to hit over watts on the motors. hovering and flying are two totally different things. What might hover at 10 amps might fly at 50 and if is the case, will pop em like fuses, especially if the load isn't centered. 1 or 2 motors do all the 50 amps x 15 volts - 750 watts on 150 watt motors.

2kg wants 28mm motors, 350 watt ea, perfect
Great informative answer Kloner!

Dewster

I think I read in the DJI manual that flying weight is between 800gs and 1.5Kgs I fly fpv inc go pro in skeleton housing, fatshark 600mW xmitter, Spektrum 8000 receiver at a weight of 1.2Kgs. I get 7 minutes from 3s 2200 lipos and it flies great. I find anything lighter and it won't come down if it's windy

lol. I had that same weight issue with my flat hexa. It was a light weight and would stay up in the air even when I reduced throttle! With the Sony Nex 5 payload it had a nice descent from altitude. I guess it just a matter of finding that right sweet spot for weight and power.